The performance of research partnerships
This paper investigates partnership performance as perceived by individual partners. It taps into one of the most extensive sources of pertinent empirical information recently constructed in Europe. Partnership success is shown to depend significantly on the closeness of the cooperative research to the in-house R&D effort of the firm, on the firm's effort to learn from the partnership and its partners, and on the absence of problems of knowledge appropriation between partners. Firms use partnerships as vehicles of risk and uncertainty reduction by collaborating with competitors as well as with suppliers and buyers (but not with universities and public research institutes) when the research is far apart from their in-house R&D and when the expected outcome is not easily appropriable. Copyright © 2003 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 24 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2-3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/7976|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nicholas S. Vonortas, 2000. "Multimarket contact and inter-firm cooperation in R&D," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 243-271.
- Kim S. Cameron, 1986. "Effectiveness as Paradox: Consensus and Conflict in Conceptions of Organizational Effectiveness," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(5), pages 539-553, May.
- Keith W. Glaister, 1996. "Strategic Motives For International Alliance Formation," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(3), pages 301-332, 05.
- J Michael Geringer & Louis Hebert, 1991. "Measuring Performance of International Joint Ventures," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 22(2), pages 249-263, June.
- Kamien, Morton I & Muller, Eitan & Zang, Israel, 1992. "Research Joint Ventures and R&D Cartels," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(5), pages 1293-306, December.
- Spence, Michael, 1984. "Cost Reduction, Competition, and Industry Performance," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(1), pages 101-21, January.
- Vonortas, Nicholas S., 1994. "Inter-firm cooperation with imperfectly appropriable research," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 413-435, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:mgtdec:v:24:y:2003:i:2-3:p:85-99. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.