Political and economic determinants of private investment
This paper presents empirical evidence that links private investment to rate of return differential, risk aversion, and several types of political and economic risk. Estimating private investment equation for a panel of 25 developing countries over 21 years yields the following results: (i) socio-political instability characterized by nonviolent protests promotes private investment while violent uprisings hinder private investment; (ii) regime change instability characterized by constitutional government change promotes private investment while unconstitutional government change hinders private investment; and (iii) policy uncertainty characterized by variability of contract enforcement rights promotes private investment while variability of government political capacity hinders private investment. Copyright © 2004 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 16 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alesina, Alberto & Özler, Sule & Roubini, Nouriel & Swagel, Phillip, 1996.
"Political Instability and Economic Growth,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 189-211, June.
- Roubini, Nouriel & Swagel, Phillip & Ozler, Sule & Alesina, Alberto, 1996. "Political Instability and Economic Growth," Scholarly Articles 4553024, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Alberto Alesina & Sule Ozler & Nouriel Roubini & Phillip Swagel, 1992. "Political Instability and Economic Growth," NBER Working Papers 4173, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fedderke, Johannes & Klitgaard, Robert, 1998. "Economic Growth and Social Indicators: An Exploratory Analysis," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 46(3), pages 455-489, April.
- Campos, Nauro F. & Nugent, Jeffrey B., 2002.
"Who is afraid of political instability?,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 157-172, February.
- Campos, Nauro F, 2000. "Who is Afraid of Political Instability?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2555, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nauro F. Campos & Jeffrey B. Nugent, 2000. "Who is Afraid of Political Instability?," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 326, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Nauro F. Campos & Jeffrey B. Nugent, 2001. "Who Is Afraid Of Political Instability?," Development and Comp Systems 0012016, EconWPA.
- Dani Rodrik, 1989.
"Policy Uncertainty and Private Investment in Developing Countries,"
NBER Working Papers
2999, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rodrik, Dani, 1991. "Policy uncertainty and private investment in developing countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 229-242, October.
- Aizenman, Joshua & Marion, Nancy P. & Marion, Nancy P., 1993. "Macroeconomic uncertainty and private investment," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 207-210.
- Dani Rodrik, 1996. "Understanding Economic Policy Reform," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 34(1), pages 9-41, March.
- Pastor, Manuel Jr. & Hilt, Eric, 1993. "Private investment and democracy in Latin America," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 489-507, April.
- Chetan Ghate & Quan Vu Le & Paul J. Zak, 2003.
"Optimal Fiscal Policy in an Economy Facing Sociopolitical Instability,"
Review of Development Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(4), pages 583-598, November.
- Chetan Ghate & Quan Vu Le & Paul J. Zak, 2002. "Optimal Fiscal Policy in an Economy Facing Socio-Political Instability," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 308, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Quan Le & Paul J. Zak, 2001. "Political Risk and Capital Flight," Claremont Colleges Working Papers 2001-10, Claremont Colleges.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:jintdv:v:16:y:2004:i:4:p:589-604. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.