Options for Budget Consolidation on the Expenditure Side
Numerous studies show that reducing public expenditure is of particular importance to increase the likelihood that a budget consolidation will succeed. In international comparisons the high share of government spending in Austria, relative to its expenditure actually on productive issues, would suggest that there is enormous potential to consolidate on the expenditure side. A closer analysis of the appropriateness and efficiency of expenditure in Austria revealed that above all in the areas of public administration, subsidies and capital transfers, health care and the pensions system there is room for both savings and efficiency gains. Although the consolidation options effective in the short term might have a volume of between € 1.9 and € 2.9 billion p.a., the long-term efficiency gains could be up to €10.7 billion a year, with the proviso that far reaching institutional reforms are undertaken.
Volume (Year): 15 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+43 1) 798 26 01-0
Fax: (+43 1) 798 93 86
Web page: http://www.wifo.ac.at/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Retzlaff-Roberts, Donna & Chang, Cyril F. & Rubin, Rose M., 2004. "Technical efficiency in the use of health care resources: a comparison of OECD countries," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 55-72, July.
- Angelika Pasterniak & Hans Pitlik, 2008.
"Potentials for Savings and Efficiency Enhancement in Public Administration. Results of an International Benchmarking Analysis,"
WIFO Monatsberichte (monthly reports),
WIFO, vol. 81(12), pages 923-940, December.
- Angelika Pasterniak & Hans Pitlik, 2009. "Potential for Savings and Efficiency Enhancement in Public Administration. Results of an International Benchmarking Analysis," Austrian Economic Quarterly, WIFO, vol. 14(1), pages 23-40, March.
- Elsa Pilichowski & Edouard Turkisch, 2008. "Employment in Government in the Perspective of the Production Costs of Goods and Services in the Public Domain," OECD Working Papers on Public Governance 8, OECD Publishing.
- Andrés Fuentes & Eckhard Wurzel & Andreas Wörgötter, 2006. "Reforming Federal Fiscal Relations in Austria," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 474, OECD Publishing.
- Lindecke, Christiane & Voss-Dahm, Dorothea & Lehndorff, Steffen, 2007. "Altersteilzeit: Erfahrungen und Diskussionen in Deutschland und anderen EU-Ländern," Arbeitspapiere 142, Hans-Böckler-Stiftung, Düsseldorf.
- Ward Romp & Jakob de Haan, 2007.
"Public Capital and Economic Growth: A Critical Survey,"
Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik,
Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 8(s1), pages 6-52, 04.
- Romp, Ward & de Haan, Jakob, 2005. "Public capital and economic growth: a critical survey," EIB Papers 2/2005, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wfo:wquart:y:2010:i:2:p:211-230. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ilse Schulz)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.