Competition, Competition Policy and Economic Growth
Since the mid-1990s, product market competition in Austria has become markedly more vigorous, driven by "externally induced" competition-oriented structural reforms. Under this changed framework the performance of the Austrian economy in the 1990s was quite satisfactory. Recently, however, this growth trend showed clear signs of weakening. If the growth path of the past is to be extended into the future more competition-oriented economic policy measures seem to be indicated. Given a multitude of highly concentrated markets, a growth-oriented competition policy should generate high economic returns.
Volume (Year): 9 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+43 1) 798 26 01-0
Fax: (+43 1) 798 93 86
Web page: http://www.wifo.ac.at/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giuseppe Nicoletti & Andrea Bassanini & Ekkehard Ernst & Sébastien Jean & Paulo Santiago & Paul Swaim, 2001. "Product and Labour Markets Interactions in OECD Countries," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 312, OECD Publishing.
- Paul Romer, 1989.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
NBER Working Papers
3210, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:reg:rpubli:74 is not listed on IDEAS
- Nickell, Stephen J, 1996.
"Competition and Corporate Performance,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(4), pages 724-46, August.
- John Scott, 1984. "Firm versus Industry Variability in R&D Intensity," NBER Chapters, in: R&D, Patents, and Productivity, pages 233-248 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kaufmann, Daniel & Kraay, Aart & Zoido-Lobaton, Pablo, 1999. "Aggregating governance indicators," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2195, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wfo:wquart:y:2004:i:4:p:154-172. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ilse Schulz)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.