Comparative productivity analysis between labour-managed firms and conventional capitalist companies in Spain
The comparative analysis of productivity of the cooperative and capitalist forms of organization has been performed in different countries using various methodologies.In Spain, the Mondragon industrial cooperatives have been studied in depth; however, empirical research comparing the two forms of organization is scarce. This paper represents an empirical contribution using a sample of Spanish manufacturing firms and demonstrates that the productivity of worker-owned firms (including cooperatives and sociedades laborales) is smaller than the productivity of capitalist firms. These findings are based on the estimation, by means generalized method of moments, of a Cobb-Douglas production function. The econometric model includes a dummy variable for measuring the effect of worker-owned form of organization on labor-productivity.
Volume (Year): 37 (2012)
Issue (Month): 33 (January-june)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Sociales. Instituto de Investigaciones Económicas y Sociales. Campus Universitario Liria, Edificio G, Tercer Nivel. Mérida 5101, Estado Mérida, Venezuela|
Phone: +58 74 401111 ext. 1081
Fax: +58 74 401120
Web page: http://iies.faces.ula.ve/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Smith, Stephen C., 2001. "Blooming Together or Wilting Alone? Network Externalities and Mondrag.n and La Lega Co-operative Networks," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Douglas Staiger & James H. Stock, 1997.
"Instrumental Variables Regression with Weak Instruments,"
Econometric Society, vol. 65(3), pages 557-586, May.
- Douglas Staiger & James H. Stock, 1994. "Instrumental Variables Regression with Weak Instruments," NBER Technical Working Papers 0151, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baleren Bakaikoa & Anjel Errasti & Agurtzane Begiristain, 2004. "Governance of the Mondragon CorporaciÛn Cooperativa," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 75(1), pages 61-87, 03.
- Berman, Katrina V. & Berman, Matthew D., 1989. "An empirical test of the theory of the labor-managed firm," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 281-300, June.
- Pere Sabaté Prats & Xavier Sabi Marcamo & Ramon Saladrigues Solé, 2000. "Cooperativas versus sociedades mercantiles. El sector frutero en Lleida," CIRIEC-España, revista de economía pública, social y cooperativa, CIRIEC-España, issue 34, pages 51-70, April.
- Mosheim, Roberto, 2002. "Organizational Type and Efficiency in the Costa Rican Coffee Processing Sector," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 296-316, June.
- Stock, James H & Wright, Jonathan H & Yogo, Motohiro, 2002. "A Survey of Weak Instruments and Weak Identification in Generalized Method of Moments," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(4), pages 518-29, October.
- Jones, Derek C & Backus, David K, 1977. "British Producer Cooperatives in the Footwear Industry: An Empirical Evaluation of the Theory of Financing," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 87(347), pages 488-510, September.
- Will Bartlett & John Cable & Saul Estrin & Derek C. Jones & Stephen C. Smith, 1992. "Or-Managed Cooperatives and Private Firms in North Central Italy: An Empirical Comparison," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 46(1), pages 103-118, October.
- Furubotn, Eirik G, 1976. "The Long-Run Analysis of the Labor-Managed Firm: An Alternative Interpretation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(1), pages 104-23, March.
- Ornella Maietta & Vania Sena, 2008. "Is competition really bad news for cooperatives? Some empirical evidence for Italian producers’ cooperatives," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 221-233, June.
- G.E. Boyle, 2004. "The economic efficiency of Irish dairy marketing co-operatives," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(2), pages 143-153.
- Porter, Philip K & Scully, Gerald W, 1987. "Economic Efficiency in Cooperatives," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 30(2), pages 489-512, October.
- Satbir Singh & Tim Coelli & Euan Fleming, 2001. "Performance of Dairy Plants in the Cooperative and Private Sectors in India," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 72(4), pages 453-479, December.
- Ornella Wanda Maietta & Vania Sena, 2010. "Financial Constraints And Technical Efficiency: Some Empirical Evidence For Italian Producers' Cooperatives," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 81(1), pages 21-38, 03.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ula:econom:v:37:y:2012:i:33:p:11-41. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alexis Vásquez)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.