Career Choice and Wage Growth
In this article, I present structural estimates of a search model that flexibly incorporates general human capital accumulation along with career and firm choice, where a career is empirically identified as a combination of industry and occupation. I use these estimates to empirically distinguish between the relative importance of various factors for generating wage growth over the life cycle. Evidence presented in the article highlights the importance of considering the two-stage search process that originates from the model. In particular, I demonstrate that previous instrumental variables methods dramatically underestimate the importance of firm-specific matches for wage growth.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bowlus, Audra J. & Liu, Huju, 2013.
"The contributions of search and human capital to earnings growth over the life cycle,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 64(C), pages 305-331.
- Audra J. Bowlus & Huju Liu, 2012. "The Contributions of Search and Human Capital to Earnings Growth Over the Life Cycle," University of Western Ontario, Centre for Human Capital and Productivity (CHCP) Working Papers 20122, University of Western Ontario, Centre for Human Capital and Productivity (CHCP).
- Nathaniel Baum-Snow & Ronni Pavan, 2012. "Understanding the City Size Wage Gap," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 79(1), pages 88-127.
- Nathaniel Baum-snow & Ronni Pavan, 2009. "Understanding the City Size Wage Gap," 2009 Meeting Papers 524, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Nathaniel Baum-Snow & Ronni Pavan, 2010. "Understanding the city size wage gap," Working Papers 2010/27, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Shintaro Yamaguchi, 2012. "Tasks and Heterogeneous Human Capital," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 30(1), pages 1-53.
- Shintaro Yamaguchi, 2011. "Tasks and Heterogeneous Human Capital," Department of Economics Working Papers 2011-06, McMaster University.
- Alexandros Zangelidis, 2008. "Occupational And Industry Specificity Of Human Capital In The British Labour Market," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 55(4), pages 420-443, 09. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucp:jlabec:doi:10.1086/659346. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.