Informed principal problems in generalized private values environments
We show that a solution to the problem of mechanism selection by an informed principal exists in a large class of environments with “generalized private values”: the agents’ payoﬀ functions are independent of the principal’s type. The solution is an extension of Maskin and Tirole’s (1990) strong unconstrained Pareto optimum. Our main condition for existence is that given any type proﬁle the best possible outcome for the principal is the worst possible outcome for all agents. This condition is satisﬁed in most market environments. We also give an example for non-existence.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- DE CLIPPEL, Geoffroy & MINELLI, Enrico, "undated".
"Two-person bargaining with verifiable information,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1733, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Balkenborg, Dieter & Makris, Miltiadis, 2015. "An undominated mechanism for a class of informed principal problems with common values," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 157(C), pages 918-958.
- Mailath George J. & Okuno-Fujiwara Masahiro & Postlewaite Andrew, 1993. "Belief-Based Refinements in Signalling Games," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 241-276, August.
- Vasiliki Skreta, 2008.
"On the Informed Seller Problem: Optimal Information Disclosure,"
08-10, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Vasiliki Skreta, 2011. "On the informed seller problem: optimal information disclosure," Review of Economic Design, Springer;Society for Economic Design, vol. 15(1), pages 1-36, March.
- Vasiliki Skreta, 2007. "On the Informed Seller Problem: Optimal Information Disclosure," Levine's Bibliography 843644000000000222, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Vasiliki Skreta, 2007. "On the Informed Seller Problem: Optimal Information Disclosure," Levine's Bibliography 122247000000001789, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Grossman, Sanford J. & Perry, Motty, 1986. "Perfect sequential equilibrium," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 97-119, June.
- Yilankaya, Okan, 1999. "A Note on the Seller's Optimal Mechanism in Bilateral Trade with Two-Sided Incomplete Information," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 267-271, July.
- Michela CELLA, 2007.
"Informed principal with correlation,"
Departmental Working Papers
2007-11, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Ayça Kaya, 2010.
"When Does It Pay To Get Informed?,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 51(2), pages 533-551, 05.
- Fleckinger, Pierre, 2007. "Informed principal and countervailing incentives," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 94(2), pages 240-244, February.
- Kosenok, Grigory & Severinov, Sergei, 2008. "Individually rational, budget-balanced mechanisms and allocation of surplus," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 126-161, May.
- Chade, Hector & Silvers, Randy, 2002.
"Informed principal, moral hazard, and the value of a more informative technology,"
Elsevier, vol. 74(3), pages 291-300, February.
- Hector Chade & Randolph Silvers, "undated". "Informed Principal, Moral Hazard, and the Value of a More Informative Technology," Working Papers 2133302, Department of Economics, W. P. Carey School of Business, Arizona State University.
- Guesnerie, Roger & Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 1984. "A complete solution to a class of principal-agent problems with an application to the control of a self-managed firm," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 329-369, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:the:publsh:787. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Martin J. Osborne)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.