Informed principal with correlation
In this paper we analyze a simple two-sided adverse selection model with one principaland one agent. They are both risk neutral and have private information about their type. We also assume that the private information of the principal is correlated with the one ofthe agent. The main result of the paper is that the principal can extract a larger share ofthe surplus from the agent than in the case where her information is public. The principalcan design such a contract because she exploits the fact that her type is an informativesignal on the agent’s one. We fully characterize the equilibrium of the principal agent gamein which different types of principal offer the same menu of contracts that leave the agentuninformed about the principal’s type. This gives more freedom to the principal whensetting the transfers because the agent’s constraints need to hold only at an interim stage. The principal gains from a peculiarity of the correlated environment: different types of agenthave different beliefs about the probability distribution over the states of the world.
|Date of creation:||31 Mar 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 02 50321522
Fax: +39 02 50321505
Web page: http://www.demm.unimi.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cremer, Jacques & McLean, Richard P, 1988. "Full Extraction of the Surplus in Bayesian and Dominant Strategy Auctions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(6), pages 1247-57, November.
- Roger B. Myerson, 1981.
"Mechanism Design by an Informed Principal,"
481, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- McAfee, R Preston & Reny, Philip J, 1992. "Correlated Information and Mechanism Design," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(2), pages 395-421, March.
- Maskin, Eric & Tirole, Jean, 1992. "The Principal-Agent Relationship with an Informed Principal, II: Common Values," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(1), pages 1-42, January.
- Eric Maskin & Kevin Roberts, 2008.
"On the fundamental theorems of general equilibrium,"
Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 233-240, May.
- Eric Maskin & Kevin W.S. Roberts, 2006. "On the Fundamental Theorems of General Equilibrium," Economics Working Papers 0074, Institute for Advanced Study, School of Social Science.
- Roland Strausz, .
"Deterministic versus Stochastic Mechanisms in Principal--Agent Models,"
020, Departmental Working Papers.
- Strausz, Roland, 2006. "Deterministic versus stochastic mechanisms in principal-agent models," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 128(1), pages 306-314, May.
- Maskin, Eric & Tirole, Jean, 1990. "The Principal-Agent Relationship with an Informed Principal: The Case of Private Values," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(2), pages 379-409, March.
- Cremer, Jacques & McLean, Richard P, 1985. "Optimal Selling Strategies under Uncertainty for a Discriminating Monopolist When Demands Are Interdependent," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 345-61, March.
- Riordan, Michael H. & Sappington, David E. M., 1988. "Optimal contracts with public ex post information," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 189-199, June.
- Hirshleifer, Jack, 1971. "The Private and Social Value of Information and the Reward to Inventive Activity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(4), pages 561-74, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mil:wpdepa:2007-11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (DEMM Working Papers)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.