A Divisia type saving aggregate for India
Indian financial sector reforms initiated in 1991-92 have significantly affected user costs of assets and have resulted in significant substitution among them. Thus there is a need to develop a measure of savings that reflects household choice over assets more accurately than the simple sum. An advantage of monetary aggregates that are based on microtheoretic foundations, for example, the Divisia index, is that no a priori assumptions about asset substitutability need be imposed. We construct Divisia subaggregates of the financial assets component of Indian household savings and an overall aggregate of financial savings and demonstrate their superiority to the simple sum constructs.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 1 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/REME20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/REME20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raghbendra Jha & Ibotombi Longjam, 2006.
"Structure of Financial Savings During Indian Economic Reforms,"
Springer, vol. 31(4), pages 861-869, November.
- Raghbendra Jha & Ibotombi S. Longjam, 2003. "Structure of Financial Savings during Indian Economic Reforms," ASARC Working Papers 2003-03, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- Raghbendra Jha & Ibotombi S. Longjam, 2004. "Structure of financial savings during Indian economic reforms," CAMA Working Papers 2004-06, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Henri Theil, 1969. "On the use of Information Theory Concepts in the Analysis of Financial Statements," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 15(9), pages 459-480, May.
- Chetty, V Karuppan, 1969. "On Measuring the Nearness of the Near-Moneys," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(3), pages 270-281, June.
- Gallant, A. Ronald, 1981. "On the bias in flexible functional forms and an essentially unbiased form : The fourier flexible form," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 211-245, February.
- P.A. Tinsley & P.A. Spindt & M.E. Friar, 1980. "Indicator and filter attributes of monetary aggregates: a nit-picking case for disaggregation," Special Studies Papers 140, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Barnett, William A., 1980. "Economic monetary aggregates an application of index number and aggregation theory," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 11-48, September.
- Drake, L. & Mullineux, A., 1995. "One Divisa Money for Europe?," Discussion Papers 95-04, Department of Economics, University of Birmingham.
- Barnett, William A, 1982. "The Optimal Level of Monetary Aggregation," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 14(4), pages 687-710, November.
- Hulten, Charles R, 1973. "Divisia Index Numbers," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(6), pages 1017-1025, November.
- Francis X. Diebold & Marc Nerlove, 1988. "Unit roots in economic time series: a selective survey," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 49, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Diewert, W. E., 1976. "Exact and superlative index numbers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 115-145, May.
- Tinsley, P. A. & Spindt, P. A. & Friar, M. E., 1980. "Indicator and filter attributes of monetary aggregates : A nit-picking case for disaggregation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 61-91, September.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-438, July.
- Dickey, David A & Pantula, Sastry G, 2002. "Determining the Order of Differencing in Autoregressive Processes," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 18-24, January.
- Barnett, William A., 1978. "The user cost of money," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 145-149. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:macfem:v:1:y:2008:i:1:p:51-66. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.