Educational Attainment and School-to-work Conversion of Roma in Romania: Adapting to Feasible Means or Ends?
Education is one of the surest ways for individuals to expand their capability set and can even be inherently valuable. This paper questions the assumption that education is something that all ‘have reason to value’ if it does not bring clear benefits but rather interrupts the pursuit of other valuable opportunities. This is a particularly salient trade-off for many desperately impoverished Roma. This statistical analysis reveals that, ceteris paribus , Roma have 77% lower odds of finishing eighth grade. Regardless of education, they have 57% lower odds of employment and two and a half times the odds of winding up in unskilled labor. Not only are Roma completing fewer years of schooling than non-Roma, they are less able to convert that schooling into gainful employment, forcing us to ask whether Roma might be exhibiting adaptive preferences not just regarding the feasibility of getting an education but regarding the ends of that effort.
Volume (Year): 13 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CJHD20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CJHD20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kaushik Basu, 1999.
"Child Labor: Cause, Consequence, and Cure, with Remarks on International Labor Standards,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 37(3), pages 1083-1119, September.
- Basu, Kaushik, 1998. "Child labor : cause, consequence, and cure, with remarks on International Labor Standards," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2027, The World Bank.
- Niall O'Higgins, 2010. "“It's not that I'm a racist, it's that they are Roma”," International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 31(2), pages 163-187, May.
- O'Higgins, Niall, 2009. ""It's not that I'm a racist, it's that they are Roma": Roma Discrimination and Returns to Education in South Eastern Europe," IZA Discussion Papers 4208, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gabor Kertesi & Gabor Kezdi, 2011. "The Roma/Non-Roma Test Score Gap in Hungary," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 101(3), pages 519-525, May.
- Gabor Kertesi & Gabor Kezdi, 2010. "The Roma/non-Roma Test Score Gap in Hungary," Budapest Working Papers on the Labour Market 1010, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Jacob A. Mincer, 1974. "Introduction to "Schooling, Experience, and Earnings"," NBER Chapters,in: Schooling, Experience, and Earnings, pages 1-4 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fairlie, Robert W, 1999. "The Absence of the African-American Owned Business: An Analysis of the Dynamics of Self-Employment," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 17(1), pages 80-108, January.
- Fairlie, Robert, 2014. "The Absence of the African-American Owned Business: An Analysis of the Dynamics of Self-Employment," Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt49c4n0fg, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Oaxaca, Ronald, 1973. "Male-Female Wage Differentials in Urban Labor Markets," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 14(3), pages 693-709, October.
- Subha Mani & John Hoddinott & John Strauss, 2009. "Determinants of Schooling Outcomes: Empirical Evidence from Rural Ethiopia," Fordham Economics Discussion Paper Series dp2009-03, Fordham University, Department of Economics.
- Jacob A. Mincer, 1974. "Schooling, Experience, and Earnings," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number minc74-1.
- Holmes, Jessica, 2003. "Measuring the determinants of school completion in Pakistan: analysis of censoring and selection bias," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 249-264, June.
- Alan S. Blinder, 1973. "Wage Discrimination: Reduced Form and Structural Estimates," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 8(4), pages 436-455.
- Aysit Tansel, 1998. "Determinants of School Attainment of Boys and Girls in Turkey," Working Papers 789, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Aysit Tansel, 1998. "Determinants of School Attainment of Boys and Girls in Turkey," Working Papers 9810, Economic Research Forum, revised Jul 1998.
- Tansel, A., 1998. "Determinants of School Attainment of Boys and Girls in Turkey," Papers 789, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Theodore W. Schultz, 1960. "Capital Formation by Education," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 68, pages 571-571. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:jhudca:v:13:y:2012:i:3:p:415-450. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.