Competition and efficiency: overseas students and technical efficiency in Australian and New Zealand universities
Economic theory suggests that competitive pressures will impact on organisational efficiency. In recent years, universities in Australia and New Zealand have faced increased competition for students. The aim of this paper is to explore the efficiency of Australian and New Zealand public universities and to investigate the impact of competition for students from overseas on efficiency. Output distance functions are estimated using panel data for the period 1995-2002 for Australia and 1997-2003 for New Zealand. The results show that competition for overseas students has led to increased efficiency in Australian universities. However, competition for overseas students appears to have had no effect on efficiency in New Zealand.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 17 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CEDE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CEDE20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roger Carrington & Tim Coelli & D. S. Prasada Rao, 2005. "The Performance Of Australian Universities: Conceptual Issues And Preliminary Results," Economic Papers, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 24(2), pages 145-163, 06.
- Mita Bhattacharya & Russell Smyth, 2003. "The Life Cycle Research Output Of Professors In Australian Economics Departments: An Empirical Analysis Based On Survey Questionnaires," Economic Papers, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 22(2), pages 30-46, 06.
- Tim J. Coelli & Chris O'Donnell, 2003.
"A Bayesian Approach To Imposing Curvature On Distance Functions,"
CEPA Working Papers Series
WP032003, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- O'Donnell, Christopher J. & Coelli, Timothy J., 2005. "A Bayesian approach to imposing curvature on distance functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 493-523, June.
- Tim Coelli & Sergio Perelman, 2000. "Technical efficiency of European railways: a distance function approach," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(15), pages 1967-1976.
- Hay, Donald A & Liu, Guy S, 1997. "The Efficiency of Firms: What Difference Does Competition Make?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(442), pages 597-617, May.
- Malcolm Abbot & Hristos Doucouliagos, 2003.
"Research Output of Australian Universities,"
2003_04, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Abbott, M. & Doucouliagos, C., 2003. "The efficiency of Australian universities: a data envelopment analysis," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 89-97, February.
- Egon P. Franck & Bruno Schönfelder, 2000. "On The Role Of Competition In Higher Education – Uses And Abuses Of The Economic Metaphor," Schmalenbach Business Review (sbr), LMU Munich School of Management, vol. 52(3), pages 214-237, July.
- Andrew Worthington, 2001. "An Empirical Survey of Frontier Efficiency Measurement Techniques in Education," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(3), pages 245-268.
- Richard Pomfret & Liang Choon Wang, 2003. "Evaluating The Research Output Of Australian Universities' Economics Departments," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(4), pages 418-441, December.
- Paul, Catherine J. Morrison & Nehring, Richard, 2005. "Product diversification, production systems, and economic performance in U.S. agricultural production," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 525-548, June.
- Rafael Cuesta & José Zofío, 2005. "Hyperbolic Efficiency and Parametric Distance Functions: With Application to Spanish Savings Banks," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 31-48, 09.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:edecon:v:17:y:2009:i:1:p:31-57. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.