Research Joint Ventures And International Competitiveness: Evidence From The National Cooperative Research Act
In the USA, firms engaged in cooperative research and development (R&D) are accorded more lenient antitrust treatment by the National Cooperative Research Act (NCRA). An objective of the NCRA was to give American firms a competitive advantage over foreign firms. This article addresses whether the NCRA has had that effect. Analysis of panel data containing information on industry trade balance and cooperative R&D reveals that the trade balance in industries with participants in cooperative R&D is approximately $620 million higher than the trade balance in industries without participants in cooperative R&D. This suggests the possibility of improved competitiveness.
Volume (Year): 16 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/GEIN20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/GEIN20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leahy, Dermot & Neary, J Peter, 1999.
"R&D Spillovers and the Case for Industrial Policy in an Open Economy,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 51(1), pages 40-59, January.
- Leahy, Dermot & Neary, J Peter, 1997. "R&D Spillovers and the Case for Industrial Policy in an Open Economy," CEPR Discussion Papers 1671, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- D. Leahy & J. P. Neary, 1997. "R&D spillovers and the case for industrial policy in an open economy," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 20342, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- D Leahy & J.P. Neary, 1997. "R&D Spillovers and the Case for Industrial Policy in an Open Economy," CEP Discussion Papers dp0345, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Vonortas, Nicholas S., 1997. "Research joint ventures in the US," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(4-5), pages 577-595, December.
- Barbara J. Spencer & James A. Brander, 1983.
"International R&D Rivalry and Industrial Strategy,"
NBER Working Papers
1192, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Spencer, Barbara J & Brander, James A, 1983. "International R & D Rivalry and Industrial Strategy," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(4), pages 707-22, October.
- Link, Albert N. & Paton, David & Siegel, Donald S., 2002. "An analysis of policy initiatives to promote strategic research partnerships," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(8-9), pages 1459-1466, December.
- Leyden, Dennis Patrick & Link, Albert N., 1999. "Federal laboratories as research partners," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 575-592, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:ecinnt:v:16:y:2007:i:1:p:51-65. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.