Patients' migration across regions: the case of Italy
This article analyses patient mobility across Italian regions. A modified gravity model of patient migration is specified and estimated using panel observations covering mobility and other main regional quality indicators over the period 1994-1997. Despite the high level of aggregation due to data constraints, the empirical findings show that in Italy there is wide scope for quality-driven mobility while income determines the quality of the service offered.
Volume (Year): 36 (2004)
Issue (Month): 16 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Burns, Lawton R. & Wholey, Douglas R., 1992. "The impact of physician characteristics in conditional choice models for hospital care," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 43-62, May.
- Dranove, David & Shanley, Mark, 1990. "A note on the relational aspects of hospital market definitions," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 473-478, February.
- Garnick, Deborah W. & Lichtenberg, Erik & Phibbs, Ciaran S. & Luft, Harold S. & Peltzman, Deborah J. & McPhee, Stephen J., 1990. "The sensitivity of conditional choice models for hospital care to estimation technique," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 377-397, February.
- Levaggi, Rosella & Zanola, Roberto, 2000. "The Flypaper Effect: Evidence from the Italian National Health System," POLIS Working Papers 10, Institute of Public Policy and Public Choice - POLIS.
- Blomqvist, A. G. & Carter, R. A. L., 1997. "Is health care really a luxury?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 207-229, April.