Patients' migration across regions: the case of Italy
This article analyses patient mobility across Italian regions. A modified gravity model of patient migration is specified and estimated using panel observations covering mobility and other main regional quality indicators over the period 1994-1997. Despite the high level of aggregation due to data constraints, the empirical findings show that in Italy there is wide scope for quality-driven mobility while income determines the quality of the service offered.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 36 (2004)
Issue (Month): 16 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Burns, Lawton R. & Wholey, Douglas R., 1992. "The impact of physician characteristics in conditional choice models for hospital care," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 43-62, May.
- Dranove, David & Shanley, Mark, 1990. "A note on the relational aspects of hospital market definitions," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 473-478, February.
- Garnick, Deborah W. & Lichtenberg, Erik & Phibbs, Ciaran S. & Luft, Harold S. & Peltzman, Deborah J. & McPhee, Stephen J., 1990. "The sensitivity of conditional choice models for hospital care to estimation technique," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 377-397, February.
- Levaggi, Rosella & Zanola, Roberto, 2000. "The Flypaper Effect: Evidence from the Italian National Health System," POLIS Working Papers 10, Institute of Public Policy and Public Choice - POLIS.
- Blomqvist, A. G. & Carter, R. A. L., 1997. "Is health care really a luxury?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 207-229, April.