Employment protection and productivity: evidence from firm-level panel data in Japan
Recent developments in the literature on Employment Protection Legislation (EPL) have revealed that changing the stringency of employment protection can lead to extensive consequences outside the labour market, by affecting firms’ production decisions or workers’ commitment levels. This article provides the first empirical evaluation of the comprehensive effect of restrictions on firing employees in Japan, by exploiting the variations in court decisions. We find that judgements lenient to workers significantly reduce firms’ total-factor productivity growth rate. The effect on capital is mixed and inconclusive, although we obtain modest evidence that an increase in firing costs induces a negative scale effect on capital inputs.
Volume (Year): 45 (2013)
Issue (Month): 15 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vivek Ghosal & Prakash Loungani, 1995.
"Product market competition and the impact of price uncertainty on investment: some evidence from U.S. manufacturing industries,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
517, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Ghosal, Vivek & Loungani, Prakash, 1996. "Product Market Competition and the Impact of Price Uncertainty on Investment: Some Evidence from US Manufacturing Industries," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(2), pages 217-28, June.
- Messina, Julián & Vallanti, Giovanna, 2006.
"Job Flow Dynamics and Firing Restrictions: Evidence from Europe,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2045, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Julián Messina & Giovanna Vallanti, 2007. "Job Flow Dynamics and Firing Restrictions: Evidence from Europe," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(521), pages 279-301, 06.
- Messina, Julián & Vallanti, Giovanna, 2006. "Job flow dynamics and firing restrictions: evidence from Europe," Working Paper Series 0602, European Central Bank.
- Kazuo Ogawa & Kazuyuki Suzuki, 2000.
"Uncertainty and Investment: Some Evidence from the Panel Data of Japanese Manufacturing Firms,"
The Japanese Economic Review,
Japanese Economic Association, vol. 51(2), pages 170-192, 06.
- Ogawa, K & Suzuki, K, 1997. "Uncertainty and Investment : Some Evidence from the Panel Data of Japanese Manufacturing Firms," ISER Discussion Paper 0436, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:applec:45:y:2013:i:15:p:2091-2105. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.