The Firing Cost Implications of Alternative Severance Pay Designs
Economists have concerns about the firing cost implications of mandated severance plans. Analysis reveals that predicted severance plan consequences depend critically on the precise structure of the plan. Whether governments mandate (i) severance insurance plans or (ii) severance savings plans is important; savings plans have no "firing cost" effects on employer layoff decisions. The firing cost implications of insurance plan are sensitive to the types of job separations that qualify a worker for benefits. Plans that pay benefits across all separations are functionally severance savings plans. The variety of plan types is illustrated using U.S. and international examples.
|Date of creation:||May 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: Robert Holzmann and Milan Vodopivec, eds., Reforming Severance Pay: An International Perspective, Washington, DC: World Bank, 2012, 159-176|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bruce C. Fallick, 1995. "A review of the recent empirical literature on displaced workers," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 95-14, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- James J. Heckman & Carmen Pagés, 2004.
"Law and Employment: Lessons from Latin America and the Caribbean,"
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number heck04-1.
- James Heckman & Carmen Pages, 2003. "Law and Employment: Lessons from Latin America and the Caribbean," NBER Working Papers 10129, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Holzmann, Robert & Pouget, Yann & Vodopivec, Milan & Weber, Michael, 2011.
"Severance pay programs around the world : history, rationale, status, and reforms,"
Social Protection and Labor Policy and Technical Notes
62726, The World Bank.
- Holzmann, Robert & Pouget, Yann & Vodopivec, Milan & Weber, Michael, 2011. "Severance Pay Programs around the World: History, Rationale, Status, and Reforms," IZA Discussion Papers 5731, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Addison, John T. & Teixeira, Paulino, 2001.
"The Economics of Employment Protection,"
IZA Discussion Papers
381, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Reinhard Koman & Ulrich Schuh & Andrea Weber, 2005. "The Austrian Severance Pay Reform: Toward a Funded Pension Pillar," Empirica, Springer, vol. 32(3), pages 255-274, 09.
- Bruce C. Fallick, 1996. "A Review of the Recent Empirical Literature on Displaced Workers," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 50(1), pages 5-16, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp4967. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.