Banking market integration in the SADC countries: evidence from interest rate analyses
This study investigates the state, development and drivers of banking market integration in the member countries of the Southern African Development Community (SADC). A Principal Component Analysis (PCA) of national retail interest rates indicates increasing integration in loan and deposit markets. These integration processes are not developing uniformly and we can identify a convergence club. When investigating the interest rate pass-through from central bank onto retail rates for this convergence club, we find both, genuine and monetary-integration driven processes though the latter dominate. We thus conclude that a selective expansion of the Common Monetary Area (CMA) is possible.
Volume (Year): 44 (2012)
Issue (Month): 29 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Perignon, Christophe & Smith, Daniel R. & Villa, Christophe, 2007. "Why common factors in international bond returns are not so common," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 284-304, March.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Bettina Becker & Stephen G. Hall, 2009.
"A new look at economic convergence in Europe: a common factor approach,"
International Journal of Finance & Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(1), pages 85-97.
- Bettina Becker & Stephen G. Hall, 2007. "A New Look at Economic Convergence in Europe: A Common Factor Approach," Discussion Paper Series 2007_09, Department of Economics, Loughborough University, revised Feb 2007.
- Jannie Rossouw, 2006. "An Analysis Of Macro-Economic Convergence In Sadc," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 74(3), pages 382-390, 09.
- Kremers, Jeroen J M & Ericsson, Neil R & Dolado, Juan J, 1992.
"The Power of Cointegration Tests,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 54(3), pages 325-48, August.
- Steven K. Buigut & Neven T. Valev, 2006.
"Eastern and Southern Africa Monetary Integration: A Structural Vector Autoregression Analysis,"
Review of Development Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(4), pages 586-603, November.
- Steven K. Buigut & Neven Valev, 2005. "Eastern and Southern Africa Monetary Integration: A Structural Vector Autoregression Analysis," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper0504, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Lieven Baele & Annalisa Ferrando & Peter Hördahl & Elizaveta Krylova & Cyril Monnet, 2004. "Measuring financial integration in the euro area," Occasional Paper Series 14, European Central Bank.
- Kleimeier, Stefanie & Sander, Harald, 2000. "Regionalisation versus globalisation in European financial market integration: Evidence from co-integration analyses," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 1005-1043, June.
- Fernandez-Izquierdo, Angeles & Lafuente, Juan Angel, 2004. "International transmission of stock exchange volatility: Empirical evidence from the Asian crisis," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 125-137, August.
- Li, Baibing & Martin, Elaine B. & Morris, A. Julian, 2002. "On principal component analysis in L1," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 471-474, September.
- Andrew K. Rose, 2001. "Currency unions and trade: the effect is large," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 16(33), pages 449-461, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:applec:44:y:2012:i:29:p:3857-3876. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.