Further analysis of mergers and shareholder wealth effects in European banking
Although bank mergers have been a topic of ongoing research in the USA, particularly in view of reforms instituted by the Riegle-Neal Interstate Banking and Branching Efficiency Act of 1994, the evidence on shareholder wealth effects in European bank mergers is thin. A key question is whether the changes in the banking industry are applicable worldwide or reflect segmentation at the regional level. In this paper results are provided from a larger and more recent sample than previous studies. In contrast to previous findings, findings here are more consistent with those of US bank mergers, leading to the conclusion that there is less geographical heterogeneity in the industry than previous studies indicated. In particular, low target abnormal returns are found, which, it is believed, stem from the fact that acquirers are not willing to pay high premiums in a competitive environment in which profitability levels are eroding. It was found that abnormal returns are higher in bank-to-bank rather than cross-product deals, suggesting that there is still scope for exploiting economies of scale and market power within the banking sector. The evidence in relation to cross-border deals compared to national deals is mixed, giving some weak evidence in favour of the view that there are gains to geographical diversification.
Volume (Year): 15 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAFE20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Timothy H. Hannan & John D. Wolken, 1989. "Returns to bidders and targets in the acquisition process: evidence from the banking industry," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 64, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Franks, Julian & Harris, Robert & Titman, Sheridan, 1991. "The postmerger share-price performance of acquiring firms," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 81-96, March.
- Tourani Rad, Alireza & Van Beek, Luuk, 1999. "Market valuation of European bank mergers," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 532-540, October.
- Brown, Stephen J. & Warner, Jerold B., 1985. "Using daily stock returns : The case of event studies," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 3-31, March.
- Cybo-Ottone, Alberto & Murgia, Maurizio, 2000. "Mergers and shareholder wealth in European banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 831-859, June.
- Berger, Philip G. & Ofek, Eli, 1995. "Diversification's effect on firm value," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 39-65, January.
- Alan J. Auerbach, 1988. "Corporate Takeovers: Causes and Consequences," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number auer88-1, October.
- Robert S. Harris & Julian Franks & Colin Mayer, 1987.
"Means of Payment in Takeovers: Results for the U.K. and U.S,"
NBER Working Papers
2456, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Franks, Julian R & Harris, Robert & Mayer, Colin, 1987. "Means of Payment in Takeovers: Results for the UK and US," CEPR Discussion Papers 200, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Baradwaj, Babu G. & Fraser, Donald R. & Furtado, Eugene P. H., 1990. "Hostile bank takeover offers : Analysis and implications," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 1229-1242, December.
- John, Kose & Ofek, Eli, 1995. "Asset sales and increase in focus," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 105-126, January.
- Allen, Paul R. & Sirmans, C. F., 1987. "An analysis of gains to acquiring firm's shareholders : The special case of REITs," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 175-184, March.
- Simon Kwan & Robert A. Eisenbeis, 1999. "Mergers of publicly traded banking organizations revisited," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Q4, pages 26-37.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Ruback, Richard S., 1983. "The market for corporate control : The scientific evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1-4), pages 5-50, April.
- Brown, Stephen J. & Warner, Jerold B., 1980. "Measuring security price performance," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 205-258, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apfiec:v:15:y:2005:i:1:p:13-30. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.