Service outsourcing and hotel performance: three-stage DEA analysis
This article is the first to apply the three-stage DEA procedure to analyze the impact of service outsourcing on the performance of hotels. In the first stage of analysis, outsourcing hotels are more efficient than nonoutsourcing hotels. However, after purging the effects of exogenous factors, this study found that the average managerial efficiency score computed in the three-stage DEA procedure was 0.917 or alternatively that hotels on average are 8.3% resources waste. Furthermore, service outsourcing is not the main determinant of the efficiency of international tourist hotels in Taiwan.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 15 (2008)
Issue (Month): 13 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEL20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Randy I. Anderson & Robert Fok & Leonard V. Zumpano & Harold W. Elder, 1998. "Measuring the Efficiency of Residential Real Estate Brokerage Firms," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 16(2), pages 139-158.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Almas Heshmati, 2003.
"Productivity Growth, Efficiency and Outsourcing in Manufacturing and Service Industries,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(1), pages 79-112, February.
- Heshmati, Almas, 2000. "Productivity Growth, Efficiency and Outsourcing in Manufacturing and Service Industries," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 394, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 18 Oct 2001.
- Carlos Pestana Barros & Stephanie Leach, 2006. "Performance evaluation of the English Premier Football League with data envelopment analysis," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(12), pages 1449-1458.
- Holger Görg & Aoife Hanley, 2004.
"Does Outsourcing Increase Profitability?,"
The Economic and Social Review,
Economic and Social Studies, vol. 35(3), pages 267-288.
- Enrico Santarelli, 1998.
"Start-up size and post-entry performance: the case of tourism services in Italy,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(2), pages 157-163, February.
- E. Santarelli, 1996. "Start-Up size and Post-Entry Performance: The Case of Tourism Services in Italy," Working Papers 257, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- H. Fried & C. Lovell & S. Schmidt & S. Yaisawarng, 2002. "Accounting for Environmental Effects and Statistical Noise in Data Envelopment Analysis," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 157-174, January.
- Asier Minondo & Gloria Rubert, 2006. "The effect of outsourcing on the demand for skills in the Spanish manufacturing industry," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(9), pages 599-604.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apeclt:v:15:y:2008:i:13:p:1053-1057. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.