Rescaled variance analysis of real exchange rates
The characterization of real exchange rate series as random in nature has been questioned in recent times by the application of new statistical tools. This study uses a new test proposed by Giraitis et al. (Journal of Econometrics, 112, pp. 265-9, 2003) and based on KPSS (Journal of Econometrics, 54, pp. 159-78, 1992) test. The rescaled variance (V/S) statistic is shown to have a simpler asymptotic distribution and achieve a better balance of size and power than Lo's (1991) and KPSS (1992) test. Application of the new test suggests that real exchange rate movements do not show evidence of long memory.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 11 (2004)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20 |
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEL20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giraitis, Liudas & Kokoszka, Piotr & Leipus, Remigijus & Teyssiere, Gilles, 2003.
"Rescaled variance and related tests for long memory in volatility and levels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 265-294, February.
- GIRAITIS, Liudas & KOKOSZKA, Piotr & LEIPUS, Remigijus & TEYSSIÈRE, Gilles, . "Rescaled variance and related tests for long memory in volatility and levels," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1594, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Lothian, James R & Taylor, Mark P, 1996. "Real Exchange Rate Behavior: The Recent Float from the Perspective of the Past Two Centuries," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(3), pages 488-509, June.
- Froot, Kenneth A. & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1995.
"Perspectives on PPP and long-run real exchange rates,"
Handbook of International Economics,
in: G. M. Grossman & K. Rogoff (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 32, pages 1647-1688
- Ken Froot & Kenneth Rogoff, . "Perspectives on PPP and Long-Run Real Exchange Rates," Working Paper 32027, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Kenneth Rogoff, 1994. "Perspectives on PPP and Long-Run Real Exchange Rates," NBER Working Papers 4952, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gil-Alana, Luis A., 2000. "Mean reversion in the real exchange rates," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 69(3), pages 285-288, December.
- Apostolos Serletis & Periklis Gogas, 2000.
"Purchasing power parity, nonlinearity and chaos,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(6), pages 615-622.
- Olekalns, Nilss & Wilkins, Nigel, 1998. "Re-examining the Evidence for Long-Run Purchasing Power Parity," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 74(224), pages 54-61, March.
- Michael Dueker & Apostolos Serletis, 2000. "Do real exchange rates have autoregressive unit roots? a test under the alternative of long memory and breaks," Working Papers 2000-016, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Denis Kwiatkowski & Peter C.B. Phillips & Peter Schmidt, 1991.
"Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of a Unit Root: How Sure Are We That Economic Time Series Have a Unit Root?,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
979, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Kwiatkowski, Denis & Phillips, Peter C. B. & Schmidt, Peter & Shin, Yongcheol, 1992. "Testing the null hypothesis of stationarity against the alternative of a unit root : How sure are we that economic time series have a unit root?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 159-178.
- Tom Doan, . "KPSS: RATS procedure to perform KPSS (Kwiatowski, Phillips, Schmidt, and Shin) stationarity test," Statistical Software Components RTS00100, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Kwiatkowski, D. & Phillips, P.C.B. & Schmidt, P., 1990. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of Unit Root : How Sure are we that Economic Time Series have a Unit Root?," Papers 8905, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Henry, Olan T. & Olekalns, Nilss, 2002. "Does the Australian dollar real exchange rate display mean reversion," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 651-666, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apeclt:v:11:y:2004:i:5:p:303-306. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.