Selection of Variables in Cluster Analysis: An Empirical Comparison of Eight Procedures
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Montanari, Angela & Lizzani, Laura, 2001. "A projection pursuit approach to variable selection," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 463-473, February.
- Robert Tibshirani & Guenther Walther & Trevor Hastie, 2001. "Estimating the number of clusters in a data set via the gap statistic," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 63(2), pages 411-423.
- Douglas Steinley & Robert Henson, 2005. "OCLUS: An Analytic Method for Generating Clusters with Known Overlap," Journal of Classification, Springer;The Classification Society, vol. 22(2), pages 221-250, September.
- Goffe, William L. & Ferrier, Gary D. & Rogers, John, 1994. "Global optimization of statistical functions with simulated annealing," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1-2), pages 65-99.
- Wayne DeSarbo & J. Carroll & Linda Clark & Paul Green, 1984. "Synthesized clustering: A method for amalgamating alternative clustering bases with differential weighting of variables," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 49(1), pages 57-78, March.
- R. Gnanadesikan & J. Kettenring & S. Tsao, 1995. "Weighting and selection of variables for cluster analysis," Journal of Classification, Springer;The Classification Society, vol. 12(1), pages 113-136, March.
- Paul Green & Jonathan Kim & Frank Carmone, 1990. "A preliminary study of optimal variable weighting in k-means clustering," Journal of Classification, Springer;The Classification Society, vol. 7(2), pages 271-285, September.
- Lawrence Hubert & Phipps Arabie, 1985. "Comparing partitions," Journal of Classification, Springer;The Classification Society, vol. 2(1), pages 193-218, December.
- Glenn Milligan, 1980. "An examination of the effect of six types of error perturbation on fifteen clustering algorithms," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 45(3), pages 325-342, September.
- Glenn Milligan, 1985. "An algorithm for generating artificial test clusters," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 123-127, March.
- Michael Brusco & J. Cradit, 2001. "A variable-selection heuristic for K-means clustering," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 66(2), pages 249-270, June.
- E. Fowlkes & R. Gnanadesikan & J. Kettenring, 1988. "Variable selection in clustering," Journal of Classification, Springer;The Classification Society, vol. 5(2), pages 205-228, September.
- Raftery, Adrian E. & Dean, Nema, 2006. "Variable Selection for Model-Based Clustering," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 101, pages 168-178, March.
- Glenn Milligan, 1989. "A validation study of a variable weighting algorithm for cluster analysis," Journal of Classification, Springer;The Classification Society, vol. 6(1), pages 53-71, December.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Andrews, Rick L. & Brusco, Michael J. & Currim, Imran S., 2010. "Amalgamation of partitions from multiple segmentation bases: A comparison of non-model-based and model-based methods," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 201(2), pages 608-618, March.
- Brusco, Michael J. & Steinley, Douglas, 2011. "Exact and approximate algorithms for variable selection in linear discriminant analysis," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 123-131, January.
- Jerzy Korzeniewski, 2016. "New Method Of Variable Selection For Binary Data Cluster Analysis," Statistics in Transition new series, Główny Urząd Statystyczny (Polska), vol. 17(2), pages 295-304, June.
- Michael Brusco & Hans-Friedrich Köhn & Douglas Steinley, 2015. "An Exact Method for Partitioning Dichotomous Items Within the Framework of the Monotone Homogeneity Model," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 80(4), pages 949-967, December.
- repec:exl:29stat:v:17:y:2016:i:2:p:295-304 is not listed on IDEAS
- Michael Brusco & Renu Singh & Douglas Steinley, 2009. "Variable Neighborhood Search Heuristics for Selecting a Subset of Variables in Principal Component Analysis," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 74(4), pages 705-726, December.
- Isabella Morlini & Sergio Zani, 2012. "Dissimilarity and similarity measures for comparing dendrograms and their applications," Advances in Data Analysis and Classification, Springer;German Classification Society - Gesellschaft für Klassifikation (GfKl);Japanese Classification Society (JCS);Classification and Data Analysis Group of the Italian Statistical Society (CLADAG);International Federation of Classification Societies (IFCS), vol. 6(2), pages 85-105, July.
- Hsu, David, 2015. "Comparison of integrated clustering methods for accurate and stable prediction of building energy consumption data," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 160(C), pages 153-163.
- Gao, Jinxin & Hitchcock, David B., 2010. "James-Stein shrinkage to improve k-means cluster analysis," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(9), pages 2113-2127, September.
- Léna CAREL & Pierre ALQUIER, 2017. "Simultaneous Dimension Reduction and Clustering via the NMF-EM Algorithm," Working Papers 2017-38, Center for Research in Economics and Statistics.
- Pacheco, Joaquín & Casado, Silvia & Porras, Santiago, 2013. "Exact methods for variable selection in principal component analysis: Guide functions and pre-selection," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 95-111.
- repec:spr:jclass:v:34:y:2017:i:3:d:10.1007_s00357-017-9240-z is not listed on IDEAS
- Timmerman, Marieke E. & Ceulemans, Eva & Kiers, Henk A.L. & Vichi, Maurizio, 2010. "Factorial and reduced K-means reconsidered," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(7), pages 1858-1871, July.
More about this item
Keywordscluster analysis; variable selection;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:psycho:v:73:y:2008:i:1:p:125-144. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla) or (Rebekah McClure). General contact details of provider: http://www.springer.com .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.