Coasian dynamics in repeated English auctions
We extend the Coase conjecture to the case of a seller with a single object, who faces n potential buyers and holds a sequence of English auctions until the object is sold. In an independent-private-values environment in which buyers and sellers share the same discount factor, we show that the (perfect Bayesian) equilibrium path of reserve prices obeys a Coasian logic. Moreover, the equilibrium reserve path lies below that for the model of repeated sealed-bid, second-price auctions studied by McAfee and Vincent (1997). Nevertheless, the open (English) and sealed-bid formats are shown to be revenue equivalent.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 38 (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/economic+theory/journal/182/PS2|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John G. Riley & Richard Zeckhauser, 1980. "Optimal Selling Strategies:," UCLA Economics Working Papers 180, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Simon Grant & Atsushi Kajii & Flavio Menezes & Matthew J. Ryan, 2006.
"Auctions with options to re-auction,"
International Journal of Economic Theory,
The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 2(1), pages 17-39.
- Grant, S. & Kajii, A. & Menezes, F. & Ryan, M., 2002. "Auctions with Options to Re-auction," Discussion Paper 2002-55, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Grant, Simon & Kajii, Atsushi & Menezes, Flavio & Ryan, Matthew, 2003. "Auctions with Options to Re-auction," Working Papers 2003-15, Rice University, Department of Economics.
- McAfee, R. Preston & Vincent, Daniel, 1997. "Sequentially Optimal Auctions," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 246-276, February.
- R. Preston McAfee & Daniel Vincent, 1994. "Sequentially Optimal Auctions," Discussion Papers 1104, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Coase, Ronald H, 1972. "Durability and Monopoly," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 15(1), pages 143-149, April.
- Nancy L. Stokey, 1979. "Intertemporal Price Discrimination," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 93(3), pages 355-371.
- Drew Fudenberg & David K. Levine & Jean Tirole, 1985. "Infinite-Horizon Models of Bargaining with One-Sided Incomplete Information," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1098, David K. Levine. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:jogath:v:38:y:2009:i:3:p:349-366. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.