In this paper we consider the standard voting model with a finite set of alternatives A and n voters and address the following question: what are the characteristics of domains D that induce the property that every strategy-proof social choice function f : Dn ! A satisfying unanimity, has the tops-only property? We first impose a minimal richness condition which ensures that for every alternative a, there exists an admissible ordering where a is maximal. We identify conditions on D that are sufficient for strategy-proofness and unanimity to imply tops onlyness in the general case of n voters and in the special case, n = 2. We provide an algorithm for constructing tops-only domains from connected graphs with elements of A as nodes. We provide several applications of our results. Finally, we relax the minimal richness assumption and partially extend our results.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 46 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/economic+theory/journal/199/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gibbard, Allan, 1973. "Manipulation of Voting Schemes: A General Result," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(4), pages 587-601, July.
- John A. Weymark, 2004.
"Strategy-Proofness and the Tops-Only Property,"
Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers
0409, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics, revised Sep 2006.
- Özyurt, Selçuk & Sanver, M. Remzi, 2009. "A general impossibility result on strategy-proof social choice hyperfunctions," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 880-892, July.
- Sen, Arunava, 2001. "Another direct proof of the Gibbard-Satterthwaite Theorem," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 70(3), pages 381-385, March.
- Gabrielle Demange, 1982.
"Single-peaked orders on a tree,"
- Salvador Barberà & Jordi Massó & Alejandro Neme, 2001.
"Voting by Committees under Constraints,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
505.01, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC), revised 01 Jul 2003.
- Salvador Barbera & Jordi Masso & Alejandro Neme, 2000. "Voting by Committees Under Constraints," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1328, Econometric Society.
- Salvador Barberà & Jordi Massó & Alejandro Neme, 2001. "Voting by Committees under Constraints," Working Papers 7, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Salvador BARBER? & Jordi MassóAuthor-Email: firstname.lastname@example.org & Alejandro NEME, 2001. "Voting by Committees under Constraints," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 501.01, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Nehring, Klaus & Puppe, Clemens, 2007. "The structure of strategy-proof social choice -- Part I: General characterization and possibility results on median spaces," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 269-305, July.
- Nehring, Klaus & Puppe, Clemens, 2007. "Efficient and strategy-proof voting rules: A characterization," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 132-153, April.
- Barbera, S. & Gul, F. & Stacchetti, E., 1992.
"Generalized Median Voter Schemes and Committees,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
184.92, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Benoit, Jean-Pierre, 2002. "Strategic Manipulation in Voting Games When Lotteries and Ties Are Permitted," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 102(2), pages 421-436, February.
- Lars-Gunnar Svensson & Pär Torstensson, 2008.
"Strategy-proof allocation of multiple public goods,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 30(2), pages 181-196, February.
- Svensson, Lars-Gunnar & Torstensson, Pär, 2005. "Strategy-Proof Allocation of Multiple Public Goods," Working Papers 2005:3, Lund University, Department of Economics, revised 02 Feb 2007.
- Nicolas Gravel & Thierry Marchant & Arunava Sen, 2007. "Ranking Completely Uncertain Decisions by the Uniform Expected Utility Criterion," IDEP Working Papers 0705, Institut d'economie publique (IDEP), Marseille, France, revised 12 Jul 2007.
- Selçuk Özyurt & M. Sanver, 2008. "Strategy-proof resolute social choice correspondences," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 30(1), pages 89-101, January.
- Lin Zhou & Stephen Ching, 2002. "Multi-valued strategy-proof social choice rules," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 19(3), pages 569-580.
- Barbera, Salvador & Masso, Jordi & Neme, Alejandro, 1997.
"Voting under Constraints,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 298-321, October.
- Navin Aswal & Shurojit Chatterji & Arunava Sen, 2003.
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 22(1), pages 45-62, 08.
- Kelly, Jerry S., 1989. "A new informational base for social choice," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 177-188, April.
- John Duggan & Thomas Schwartz, 2000. "Strategic manipulability without resoluteness or shared beliefs: Gibbard-Satterthwaite generalized," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 17(1), pages 85-93.
- Barbera, Salvador & Dutta, Bhaskar & Sen, Arunava, 2005.
"Corrigendum to "Strategy-proof social choice correspondences" [J. Econ. Theory 101 (2001) 374-394],"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 120(2), pages 275-275, February.
- H. Moulin, 1980. "On strategy-proofness and single peakedness," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 35(4), pages 437-455, January.
- Klaus, Bettina & Peters, Hans & Storcken, Ton, 1997. "Strategy-proof division of a private good when preferences are single-dipped," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 339-346, September.
- Barbera, S. & Peleg, B., 1988. "Strategy-Proof Voting Schemes With Continuous Preferences," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 91.88, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:joecth:v:46:y:2011:i:2:p:255-282. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.