The influence of service employees and other customers on customer unfriendliness: a social norms perspective
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Jennifer J. Argo & Darren W. Dahl & Rajesh V. Manchanda, 2005. "The Influence of a Mere Social Presence in a Retail Context," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(2), pages 207-212, September.
- Véronique Aubert-Gamet & Bernard Cova, 1999. "Servicescapes: From Modern Non-Places to Postmodern Common Places," Post-Print hal-02062421, HAL.
- Minton, Ann P. & Rose, Randall L., 1997. "The Effects of Environmental Concern on Environmentally Friendly Consumer Behavior: An Exploratory Study," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 37-48, September.
- Brocato, E. Deanne & Voorhees, Clay M. & Baker, Julie, 2012. "Understanding the Influence of Cues from Other Customers in the Service Experience: A Scale Development and Validation," Journal of Retailing, Elsevier, vol. 88(3), pages 384-398.
- Xinshu Zhao & John G. Lynch & Qimei Chen, 2010. "Reconsidering Baron and Kenny: Myths and Truths about Mediation Analysis," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 37(2), pages 197-206, August.
- Christine Porath & Debbie Macinnis & Valerie Folkes, 2010. "Witnessing Incivility among Employees: Effects on Consumer Anger and Negative Inferences about Companies," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 37(2), pages 292-303, August.
- Aubert-Gamet, Veronique & Cova, Bernard, 1999. "Servicescapes: From Modern Non-Places to Postmodern Common Places," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 37-45, January.
- Kimberly D. Elsbach & C. B. Bhattacharya, 2001. "Defining Who You Are By What You're Not: Organizational Disidentification and The National Rifle Association," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 12(4), pages 393-413, August.
- Tombs, Alastair G. & McColl-Kennedy, Janet R., 2010. "Social and spatial influence of customers on other customers in the social-servicescape," Australasian marketing journal, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 120-131.
- Noah J. Goldstein & Robert B. Cialdini & Vladas Griskevicius, 2008. "A Room with a Viewpoint: Using Social Norms to Motivate Environmental Conservation in Hotels," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(3), pages 472-482, March.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Schaarschmidt, Mario & Walsh, Gianfranco, 2020. "Social media-driven antecedents and consequences of employees' awareness of their impact on corporate reputation," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 117(C), pages 718-726.
- Shuang Ma & Huimin Gu & Daniel P. Hampson & Yonggui Wang, 2020. "Enhancing Customer Civility in the Peer-to-Peer Economy: Empirical Evidence from the Hospitality Sector," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 167(1), pages 77-95, November.
- Chen, Ke & Chen, Jianxun & Zhan, Wu & Sharma, Piyush, 2020. "When in Rome! Complaint contagion effect in multi-actor service ecosystems," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 121(C), pages 628-641.
- Michael K. Brady & Todd Arnold, 2017. "Organizational service strategy," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Springer, vol. 45(6), pages 785-788, November.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Uhrich, Sebastian, 2011. "Explaining non-linear customer density effects on shoppersâ€™ emotions and behavioral intentions in a retail context: The mediating role of perceived control," Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 405-413.
- Yi He & Miao Hu & Qimei Chen & Dana L. Alden & Wei He, 2017. "No Man is an Island: the Effect of Social Presence on Negative Word of Mouth Intention in Service Failures," Customer Needs and Solutions, Springer;Institute for Sustainable Innovation and Growth (iSIG), vol. 4(4), pages 56-67, December.
- Nguyen, July & Ferraro, Carla & Sands, Sean, 2020. "Similarity over difference: How congruency in customer characteristics drives service experiences," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 121(C), pages 592-603.
- Dahm, Martin & Wentzel, Daniel & Herzog, Walter & Wiecek, Annika, 2018. "Breathing Down Your Neck!," Journal of Retailing, Elsevier, vol. 94(2), pages 217-230.
- Luck, Michael & Benkenstein, Martin, 2015. "Consumers between supermarket shelves: The influence of inter-personal distance on consumer behavior," Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, Elsevier, vol. 26(C), pages 104-114.
- Elbedweihy, Alaa M. & Jayawardhena, Chanaka & Elsharnouby, Mohamed H. & Elsharnouby, Tamer H., 2016. "Customer relationship building: The role of brand attractiveness and consumer–brand identification," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 69(8), pages 2901-2910.
- Carol L. Esmark & Stephanie M. Noble, 2018. "Retail space invaders: when employees’ invasion of customer space increases purchase intentions," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Springer, vol. 46(3), pages 477-496, May.
- Juelin Yin & Lixian Qian & Anusorn Singhapakdi, 2018. "Sharing Sustainability: How Values and Ethics Matter in Consumers’ Adoption of Public Bicycle-Sharing Scheme," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 149(2), pages 313-332, May.
- Leary, R. Bret & Vann, Richard J. & Mittelstaedt, John D. & Murphy, Patrick E. & Sherry,, John F., 2014. "Changing the marketplace one behavior at a time: Perceived marketplace influence and sustainable consumption," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 67(9), pages 1953-1958.
- Niek Hensen & Debbie I. Keeling & Ko Ruyter & Martin Wetzels & Ad Jong, 2016. "Making SENS: exploring the antecedents and impact of store environmental stewardship climate," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Springer, vol. 44(4), pages 497-515, July.
- Nicod, Lionel & Llosa, Sylvie & Bowen, David, 2020. "Customer proactive training vs customer reactive training in retail store settings: Effects on script proficiency, customer satisfaction, and sales volume," Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, Elsevier, vol. 55(C).
- Nguyen, Hang T. & Zhang, Yufei & Calantone, Roger J., 2018. "Brand portfolio coherence: Scale development and empirical demonstration," International Journal of Research in Marketing, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 60-80.
- Fujita, Momoko & Harrigan, Paul & Soutar, Geoffrey N. & Kumar Roy, Sanjit & Roy, Rajat, 2020. "Enhancing member-institution relationships through social media: The role of other-user engagement behavior and similarity perceptions," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 121(C), pages 642-654.
- Ladeira, Wagner Junior & Dalmoro, Marlon & de Oliveira Santini, Fernando & Ruffatto, Juliane & Zanoni, Roberto, 2021. "More bodily motor action, less visual attention: How supermarket stimuli and consumer-related factors influence gaze behavior," Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, Elsevier, vol. 59(C).
- Johan Jansson, 2011. "Consumer eco‐innovation adoption: assessing attitudinal factors and perceived product characteristics," Business Strategy and the Environment, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(3), pages 192-210, March.
- Jin-Woo Park & Young Kyung Ryu, 2019. "Investigating the Effects of Airport Servicescape on Airport Users’ Behavioral Intentions: A Case Study of Incheon International Airport Terminal 2 (T2)," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 11(15), pages 1-17, August.
- Matthew H. Goldberg & Abel Gustafson & Matthew T. Ballew & Seth A. Rosenthal & Matthew J. Cutler & Anthony Leiserowitz, 2020. "Predictors of global warming risk perceptions among Latino and non-Latino White Americans," Climatic Change, Springer, vol. 162(3), pages 1555-1574, October.
- Kukar-Kinney, Monika & Xia, Lan, 2017. "The effectiveness of number of deals purchased in influencing consumers' response to daily deal promotions: A cue utilization approach," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 79(C), pages 189-197.
- Bruce, Helen L. & Wilson, Hugh N. & Macdonald, Emma K. & Clarke, Beverly, 2019. "Resource integration, value creation and value destruction in collective consumption contexts," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 103(C), pages 173-185.
- Kwon, Hyorkjin & Ha, Sejin & Im, Hyunjoo, 2016. "The impact of perceived similarity to other customers on shopping mall satisfaction," Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, Elsevier, vol. 28(C), pages 304-309.
More about this item
KeywordsCustomer to customer influence; Unfriendliness; Descriptive norm; Identification; Injunctive norm; Social influence;
All these keywords.
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:joamsc:v:45:y:2017:i:6:d:10.1007_s11747-016-0505-6. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla) or (Springer Nature Abstracting and Indexing). General contact details of provider: http://www.springer.com .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.