Perspectives for the textiles and clothing industry in Greece: Past experience, outlook and policy implications
The liberalization of trade in Textiles and Clothing (T&C) had substantial adverse effects on the Greek T&C industry. The elimination of export quotas affected production levels, exports, prices and employment in the sector. Using past research results we explore how the MultiFiber Agreement (MFA) and the, subsequent, Agreement on Textiles and Clothing (ATC) regime affected producers’ welfare in Greece. Given the recent developments, after the 2005 termination of the ATC, we explore the applicability of a policy model. Innovations adopted in the production process, new cost-efficient technologies and workers’ training are the keystone factors in establishing a competitive industry for the future.
Volume (Year): 61 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1-2 (January - June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +41 21 693 0036
Fax: +41 21 693 0020
Web page: http://spoudai.unipi.gr
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dimitrios Dadakas & Stelios D Katranidis & David S. Bullock, 2009. "On the effects of technology improvements in multi-market models: Theory and evidence," Discussion Paper Series 2009_04, Department of Economics, University of Macedonia, revised Mar 2009.
- Dimitrios Dadakas & Stelios Katranidis, 2010. "Trade liberalisation in T&C: an overview of the welfare effects," International Journal of Trade and Global Markets, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 3(3), pages 247-266.
- Dimitrios, Dadakas & Stelios, Katranidis D., 2006.
"The Effects of Trade Liberalization in Textiles and Clothing on the Greek Market for Cotton Yarn: A Multi-Market Analysis,"
2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia
25779, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Dimitrios Dadakas & Stelios D. Katranidis, 2010. "The Effects of Trade Liberalization in Textiles and Clothing on the Greek Market for Cotton Yarn: A Multi-Market Analysis," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(1), pages 138-152, 02.
- Dimitrios Dadakas & Stelios Katranidis, 2008. "Single Versus Multi-market Approach: An Application to the Greek Cotton Market," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 36(4), pages 469-481, December.
- Robin L. Lumsdaine & David H. Papell, 1997.
"Multiple Trend Breaks And The Unit-Root Hypothesis,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 79(2), pages 212-218, May.
- Tom Doan, . "LPUNIT: RATS procedure to implement Lumsdaine-Papell unit root test with structural breaks," Statistical Software Components RTS00110, Boston College Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spd:journl:v:61:y:2011:i:1-2:p:13-38. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (SPOUDAI Journal of Economics and Business)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.