Marginal Costs of Carbon Dioxide Abatement: Empirical Evidence from Cross-Country Analysis
This paper examines how the marginal CO2 abatement costs vary throughout stages of economic development, and how these variations may be related to the Environmental Kuznets Curve (EKC) hypothesis. By assuming the existence of a technological link between production of desirable outputs and pollution, shadow prices of carbon emissions are estimated for 76 developing and developed countries. The results show that immediate carbon reductions are more costly in terms of desirable output forgone in the developing economies than in the developed ones. Several interpretations of this finding are finally proposed.
Volume (Year): 141 (2005)
Issue (Month): III (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +41 (0)44 631 32 34
Fax: +41 (0)44 631 39 01
Web page: http://www.sjes.ch
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pizer, William & Kopp, Raymond, 2003.
"Calculating the Cost of Environmental Regulation,"
dp-03-06, Resources For the Future.
- Susmita Dasgupta & Mainul Huq & David Wheeler & Chonghua Zhang, 2001.
"Water pollution abatement by Chinese industry: cost estimates and policy implications,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(4), pages 547-557.
- Dasgupta, Susmita & Huq, Minul & Wheeler, David & Chonghua Zhang, 1996. "Water pollution abatement by Chinese industry : cost estimates and policy implications," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1630, The World Bank.
- Stokey, Nancy L, 1998. "Are There Limits to Growth?," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(1), pages 1-31, February.
- Arrow, Kenneth & Bolin, Bert & Costanza, Robert & Dasgupta, Partha & Folke, Carl & Holling, C.S. & Jansson, Bengt-Owe & Levin, Simon & Mäler, Karl-Göran & Perrings, Charles & Pimentel, David, 1996.
"Economic growth, carrying capacity, and the environment,"
Environment and Development Economics,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(01), pages 104-110, February.
- Arrow, Kenneth & Bolin, Bert & Costanza, Robert & Dasgupta, Partha & Folke, Carl & Holling, C. S. & Jansson, Bengt-Owe & Levin, Simon & Maler, Karl-Goran & Perrings, Charles & Pimentel, David, 1995. "Economic growth, carrying capacity, and the environment," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 91-95, November.
- Beckerman, Wilfred, 1992. "Economic development and the environment : conflict of complementarity?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 961, The World Bank.
- Suri, Vivek & Chapman, Duane, 1998. "Economic growth, trade and energy: implications for the environmental Kuznets curve," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 195-208, May.
- Bengt Kristrom & Pere Riera, 1996. "Is the income elasticity of environmental improvements less than one?," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 7(1), pages 45-55, January.
- P Ekins, 1997. "The Kuznets curve for the environment and economic growth: examining the evidence," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 29(5), pages 805-830, May.
- CARSON, RICHARd T. & JEON, YONGIL & McCUBBIN, DONALD R., 1997. "The relationship between air pollution emissions and income: US Data," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(04), pages 433-450, November.
- Gene M. Grossman & Alan B. Krueger, 1994.
"Economic Growth and the Environment,"
NBER Working Papers
4634, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Charles Perrings & Alberto Ansuategi, 2000. "Sustainability, growth and development," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 27(1/2), pages 19-54, January.
- Andreoni, James & Levinson, Arik, 2001.
"The simple analytics of the environmental Kuznets curve,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 269-286, May.
- James Andreoni & Arik Levinson, 1998. "The Simple Analytics of the Environmental Kuznets Curve," NBER Working Papers 6739, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John P. Weyant, 1993. "Costs of Reducing Global Carbon Emissions," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 7(4), pages 27-46, Fall.
- Chris Papageorgiou, 2003. "Distinguishing Between the Effects of Primary and Post-primary Education on Economic Growth," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(4), pages 622-635, November.
- Shafik, Nemat & Bandyopadhyay, Sushenjit, 1992. "Economic growth and environmental quality : time series and cross-country evidence," Policy Research Working Paper Series 904, The World Bank.
- Jones, L.E. & Manuelli, R.E., 1997.
"A Positive Model of Growth and Pollution Controls,"
9513r, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Chichilnisky, Graciela, 1993. "The abatement of carbon emissions in industrial and developing countries," MPRA Paper 8390, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Osman Zaim & Fatma Taskin, 2000. "A Kuznets Curve in Environmental Efficiency: An Application on OECD Countries," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 17(1), pages 21-36, September.
- Rolf F�re & Shawna Grosskopf, 1998. "Shadow Pricing of Good and Bad Commodities," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(3), pages 584-590.
- Cavlovic, Therese A. & Baker, Kenneth H. & Berrens, Robert P. & Gawande, Kishore, 2000. "A Meta-Analysis Of Environmental Kuznets Curve Studies," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 29(1), April.
- Luenberger, David G., 1992. "Benefit functions and duality," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 461-481.
- Panayotou, Theodore, 1997. "Demystifying the environmental Kuznets curve: turning a black box into a policy tool," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(04), pages 465-484, November.
- Hartman, Raymond & Wheeler, David & Singh, Manjula, 1994. "The cost of air pollution abatement," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1398, The World Bank.
- Bluffstone, Randall, 1999. "Are the costs of pollution abatement lower in Central and Eastern Europe? Evidence from Lithuania," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 4(04), pages 449-470, October.
- Agras, Jean & Chapman, Duane, 1999. "A dynamic approach to the Environmental Kuznets Curve hypothesis," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 267-277, February.
- McCONNELL, KENNETH E., 1997. "Income and the demand for environmental quality," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(04), pages 383-399, November.
- Selden Thomas M. & Song Daqing, 1995. "Neoclassical Growth, the J Curve for Abatement, and the Inverted U Curve for Pollution," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 162-168, September.
- Fare, Rolf & Shawna Grosskopf & Mary Norris & Zhongyang Zhang, 1994. "Productivity Growth, Technical Progress, and Efficiency Change in Industrialized Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 66-83, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ses:arsjes:2005-iii-4. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Steiner)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.