The Optimal Structure of Commodity Taxation in a Monopoly with Tax Avoidance or Evasion
If tax obligations are met, the balanced-budget substitution of an ad valorem tax on output for a specific tax not only raises a monopolistâ€™s production but also represents a Pareto improvement. However, if tax avoidance or evasion is feasible and the marginal costs of such actions decline with the legal tax burden, a monopolist will respond to a balanced-budget substitution of an ad valorem tax for a specific tax by reducing output, while profits remain constant. Therefore, in the presence of tax avoidance or evasion activities, a move toward specific taxation can represent a Pareto improvement.
Volume (Year): 40 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gabriela Inchauste & Mark Gradstein & Era Dabla-Norris, 2005.
"What Causes Firms to Hide Output? the Determinants of Informality,"
IMF Working Papers
05/160, International Monetary Fund.
- Dabla-Norris, Era & Gradstein, Mark & Inchauste, Gabriela, 2008. "What causes firms to hide output? The determinants of informality," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(1-2), pages 1-27, February.
- Lisa Grazzini, 2006. "A Note on Ad Valorem and Per Unit Taxation in an Oligopoly Model," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 89(1), pages 59-74, October.
- Stephen Smith & Michael Keen, 2007.
"VAT Fraud and Evasion: What Do We Know, and What Can be Done?,"
IMF Working Papers
07/31, International Monetary Fund.
- Keen, Michael & Smith, Stephen, 2006. "VAT Fraud and Evasion: What Do We Know and What Can Be Done?," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 59(4), pages 861-87, December.
- S. P. Anderson & A. de Palma & B. Kreider, 1999.
"The efficiency of indirect taxes under imperfect competition,"
THEMA Working Papers
99-09, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Anderson, Simon P. & de Palma, Andre & Kreider, Brent, 2001. "The efficiency of indirect taxes under imperfect competition," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 231-251, August.
- Simon P. Anderson & Andre de Palma & Brent Kreider, 2000. "The Efficiency of Indirect Taxes under Imperfect Competition," Virginia Economics Online Papers 342, University of Virginia, Department of Economics.
- Anderson, S.P. & de Palma, A. & Kreider, K., 1999. "The Efficiency of Indirect Taxes Under Imperfect Competition," Papers 99-09, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- Anderson, Simon & de Palma, Andre & Kreider, Brent, 2001. "The Efficiency of Indirect Taxes Under Imperfect Competition," Staff General Research Papers 5203, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Jesper Roine, 2006.
"The political economics of not paying taxes,"
Springer, vol. 126(1), pages 107-134, January.
- Roine, Jesper, 2003. "The political economics of not paying taxes," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 530, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Christian Traxler, 2009.
"Voting over taxes: the case of tax evasion,"
Springer, vol. 140(1), pages 43-58, July.
- Martin Besfamille & Philippe De Donder & Jean Marie Lozachmeur, 2009. "Tax enforcement may decrease government revenue," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(4), pages 2665-2672.
- Hongbin Cai & Qiao Liu, 2009. "Competition and Corporate Tax Avoidance: Evidence from Chinese Industrial Firms," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 119(537), pages 764-795, 04.
- Stephen F. Hamilton, 2009. "Excise Taxes with Multiproduct Transactions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 99(1), pages 458-71, March.
- Skeath, Susan E. & Trandel, Gregory A., 1994. "A Pareto comparison of ad valorem and unit taxes in noncompetitive environments," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 53-71, January.
- Blackorby, Charles & Murty, Sushama, 2006.
"Unit Versus Ad Valorem Taxes : Monopoly In General Equilibrium,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
761, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Blackorby, Charles & Murty, Sushama, 2007. "Unit versus ad valorem taxes: Monopoly in general equilibrium," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(3-4), pages 817-822, April.
- David E. A. Giles, 1998.
"Modelling the Tax Compliance Profiles of New Zealand Firms: Evidence from Audit Records,"
Department Discussion Papers
9803, Department of Economics, University of Victoria.
- David E. A. Giles, 1998. "Modelling the Tax Compliance Profiles of New Zealand Firms: Evidence from Audit Records," Econometrics Working Papers 9803, Department of Economics, University of Victoria.
- Laszlo Goerke, 2011.
"Commodity tax structure under uncertainty in a perfectly competitive market,"
Journal of Economics,
Springer, vol. 103(3), pages 203-219, July.
- Laszlo Goerke, 2011. "Commodity Tax Structure under Uncertainty in a Perfectly Competitive Market," CESifo Working Paper Series 3339, CESifo Group Munich.
- Gatti, Roberta & Honorati, Maddalena, 2008.
"Informality among formal firms : firm-level, cross-country evidence on tax compliance and access to credit,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4476, The World Bank.
- Gatti, Roberta & Honorati, Maddalena, 2007. "Informality among Formal Firms: Firm-level, Cross-country Evidence on Tax Compliance and Access to Credit," CEPR Discussion Papers 6597, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Virmani, Arvind, 1989. "Indirect tax evasion and production efficiency," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 223-237, July.
- Cremer, Helmuth & Gahvari, Firouz, 1993. "Tax evasion and optimal commodity taxation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 261-275, February.
- Leal, Andrés & López-Laborda, Julio & Rodrigo, Fernando, 2009. "Prices, taxes and automotive fuel cross-border shopping," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 225-234.
- Dickie, M. & Trandel, G.A., 1993. "Comparing Specific and Ad Vaslorem Pigouvian Taxes and Output Quotas," Papers 431, Georgia - College of Business Administration, Department of Economics.
- Hamilton, Stephen F., 1999. "The comparative efficiency of ad valorem and specific taxes under monopoly and monopsony," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 235-238, May.
- Cremer, Helmuth & Gahvari, Firouz, 1992. "Tax Evasion and the Structure of Indirect Taxes and Audit Probabilities," Public Finance = Finances publiques, , vol. 47(Supplemen), pages 351-65.
- Kind, Hans Jarle & Koethenbuerger, Marko & Schjelderup, Guttorm, 2009.
"On Revenue and Welfare Dominance of Ad Valorem Taxes in Two-Sided Markets,"
2009/9, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Kind, Hans Jarle & Koethenbuerger, Marko & Schjelderup, Guttorm, 2009. "On revenue and welfare dominance of ad valorem taxes in two-sided markets," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 86-88, August.
- Cross, Rodney & Shaw, G K, 1982. "On the Economics of Tax Aversion," Public Finance = Finances publiques, , vol. 37(1), pages 36-47.
- Lindsay M. Tedds, 2005. "Keeping It Off The Books: An Empirical Investigation Into the Characteristics of Firms That Engage In Tax Non-Compliance," Department of Economics Working Papers 2005-01, McMaster University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sae:pubfin:v:40:y:2012:i:4:p:519-536. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (SAGE Publications)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.