The Optimal Structure of Commodity Taxation in a Monopoly with Tax Avoidance or Evasion
If tax obligations are met, the balanced-budget substitution of an ad valorem tax on output for a specific tax not only raises a monopolistâ€™s production but also represents a Pareto improvement. However, if tax avoidance or evasion is feasible and the marginal costs of such actions decline with the legal tax burden, a monopolist will respond to a balanced-budget substitution of an ad valorem tax for a specific tax by reducing output, while profits remain constant. Therefore, in the presence of tax avoidance or evasion activities, a move toward specific taxation can represent a Pareto improvement.
Volume (Year): 40 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kind, Hans Jarle & Koethenbuerger, Marko & Schjelderup, Guttorm, 2009.
"On Revenue and Welfare Dominance of Ad Valorem Taxes in Two-Sided Markets,"
2009/9, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Kind, Hans Jarle & Koethenbuerger, Marko & Schjelderup, Guttorm, 2009. "On revenue and welfare dominance of ad valorem taxes in two-sided markets," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 86-88, August.
- Anderson, Simon & de Palma, Andre & Kreider, Brent, 2001.
"The Efficiency of Indirect Taxes Under Imperfect Competition,"
Staff General Research Papers
5203, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Anderson, Simon P. & de Palma, Andre & Kreider, Brent, 2001. "The efficiency of indirect taxes under imperfect competition," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 231-251, August.
- Simon P. Anderson & Andre de Palma & Brent Kreider, 2000. "The Efficiency of Indirect Taxes under Imperfect Competition," Virginia Economics Online Papers 342, University of Virginia, Department of Economics.
- S. P. Anderson & A. de Palma & B. Kreider, 1999. "The efficiency of indirect taxes under imperfect competition," THEMA Working Papers 99-09, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Anderson, S.P. & de Palma, A. & Kreider, K., 1999. "The Efficiency of Indirect Taxes Under Imperfect Competition," Papers 99-09, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- Cross, Rodney & Shaw, G K, 1982. "On the Economics of Tax Aversion," Public Finance = Finances publiques, , vol. 37(1), pages 36-47.
- Cremer, Helmuth & Gahvari, Firouz, 1993. "Tax evasion and optimal commodity taxation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 261-275, February.
- Jesper Roine, 2006.
"The political economics of not paying taxes,"
Springer, vol. 126(1), pages 107-134, January.
- Roine, Jesper, 2003. "The political economics of not paying taxes," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 530, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Laszlo Goerke, 2011.
"Commodity tax structure under uncertainty in a perfectly competitive market,"
Journal of Economics,
Springer, vol. 103(3), pages 203-219, July.
- Laszlo Goerke, 2011. "Commodity Tax Structure under Uncertainty in a Perfectly Competitive Market," CESifo Working Paper Series 3339, CESifo Group Munich.
- Stephen F. Hamilton, 2009. "Excise Taxes with Multiproduct Transactions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 99(1), pages 458-71, March.
- Blackorby, Charles & Murty, Sushama, 2006.
"Unit Versus Ad Valorem Taxes : Monopoly In General Equilibrium,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
761, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Blackorby, Charles & Murty, Sushama, 2007. "Unit versus ad valorem taxes: Monopoly in general equilibrium," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(3-4), pages 817-822, April.
- Lindsay M. Tedds, 2005. "Keeping It Off The Books: An Empirical Investigation Into the Characteristics of Firms That Engage In Tax Non-Compliance," Department of Economics Working Papers 2005-01, McMaster University.
- Gatti, Roberta & Honorati, Maddalena, 2007.
"Informality among Formal Firms: Firm-level, Cross-country Evidence on Tax Compliance and Access to Credit,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6597, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gatti, Roberta & Honorati, Maddalena, 2008. "Informality among formal firms : firm-level, cross-country evidence on tax compliance and access to credit," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4476, The World Bank.
- Hongbin Cai & Qiao Liu, 2009. "Competition and Corporate Tax Avoidance: Evidence from Chinese Industrial Firms," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 119(537), pages 764-795, 04.
- Cremer, Helmuth & Gahvari, Firouz, 1992. "Tax Evasion and the Structure of Indirect Taxes and Audit Probabilities," Public Finance = Finances publiques, , vol. 47(Supplemen), pages 351-65.
- Traxler, Christian, 2006.
"Voting over Taxes: The Case of Tax Evasion,"
Discussion Papers in Economics
1188, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Stephen Smith & Michael Keen, 2007. "VAT Fraud and Evasion; What Do We Know, and What Can be Done?," IMF Working Papers 07/31, International Monetary Fund.
- Dickie, M. & Trandel, G.A., 1993. "Comparing Specific and Ad Vaslorem Pigouvian Taxes and Output Quotas," Papers 431, Georgia - College of Business Administration, Department of Economics.
- Hamilton, Stephen F., 1999. "The comparative efficiency of ad valorem and specific taxes under monopoly and monopsony," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 235-238, May.
- Martin Besfamille & Philippe De Donder & Jean Marie Lozachmeur, 2009. "Tax enforcement may decrease government revenue," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(4), pages 2665-2672.
- Skeath, Susan E. & Trandel, Gregory A., 1994. "A Pareto comparison of ad valorem and unit taxes in noncompetitive environments," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 53-71, January.
- Leal, Andrés & López-Laborda, Julio & Rodrigo, Fernando, 2009. "Prices, taxes and automotive fuel cross-border shopping," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 225-234.
- Virmani, Arvind, 1989. "Indirect tax evasion and production efficiency," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 223-237, July.
- David E. A. Giles, 1998.
"Modelling the Tax Compliance Profiles of New Zealand Firms: Evidence from Audit Records,"
Department Discussion Papers
9803, Department of Economics, University of Victoria.
- David E. A. Giles, 1998. "Modelling the Tax Compliance Profiles of New Zealand Firms: Evidence from Audit Records," Econometrics Working Papers 9803, Department of Economics, University of Victoria.
- Gabriela Inchauste & Mark Gradstein & Era Dabla-Norris, 2005. "What Causes Firms to Hide Output? the Determinants of Informality," IMF Working Papers 05/160, International Monetary Fund.
- Lisa Grazzini, 2006. "A Note on Ad Valorem and Per Unit Taxation in an Oligopoly Model," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 89(1), pages 59-74, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sae:pubfin:v:40:y:2012:i:4:p:519-536. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (SAGE Publications)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.