On revenue and welfare dominance of ad valorem taxes in two-sided markets
A benchmark result in public economics is that it is possible to increase both tax revenue and welfare by making a monopoly subject to ad valorem taxes rather than unit taxes. We show that such revenue and welfare dominance does not hold in two-sided markets.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 2003.
"Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 1(4), pages 990-1029, 06.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Tirole, Jean, 2003. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," IDEI Working Papers 152, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002. "Platform Competition in Two Sided Markets," FMG Discussion Papers dp409, Financial Markets Group.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002. "Platform competition in two sided markets," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24929, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Kind, Hans Jarle & Koethenbuerger, Marko & Schjelderup, Guttorm, 2008.
"Efficiency enhancing taxation in two-sided markets,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 92(5-6), pages 1531-1539, June.
- Kind, Hans Jarle & Koethenbuerger, Marko & Schjelderup, Guttorm, 2008. "Efficiency Enhancing Taxation in Two-sided Markets," Discussion Papers 2008/1, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Hans Jarle Kind & Marko Köthenbürger & Guttorm Schjelderup, 2008. "Efficiency Enhancing Taxation in Two-sided Markets," CESifo Working Paper Series 2262, CESifo Group Munich.
- Evans David S., 2003. "Some Empirical Aspects of Multi-sided Platform Industries," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 2(3), pages 1-19, September.
- repec:rje:randje:v:37:y:2006:3:p:645-667 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:104:y:2009:i:2:p:86-88. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.