Failure of Ad Valorem and Specific Tax Equivalence under Uncertainty
Applying a framework of perfect competition under uncertainty, we contribute to the discussion of whether or not ad valorem taxes and specific taxes are equivalent. While this equivalence holds without price uncertainty, we show that ad valorem taxes and specific taxes are “almost never” equivalent in the presence of uncertainty if we demand equivalence to hold pathwise. Since we obtain this result under perfect competition, our analysis also provides a further rationale for why the equivalence must fail under imperfect competition.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Poschingerstrasse 5, 81679 Munich|
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo-group.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laszlo Goerke, 2011. "Commodity tax structure under uncertainty in a perfectly competitive market," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 103(3), pages 203-219, July.
- Robert Earle & Karl Schmedders & Tymon Tatur, 2007. "On Price Caps Under Uncertainty," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 74(1), pages 93-111.
- Stephen F. Hamilton, 2009. "Excise Taxes with Multiproduct Transactions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 99(1), pages 458-471, March.
- Sophia Delipalla, 2009. "Tobacco Tax Structure and Smuggling," FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 65(1), pages 93-104, March.
- Magnus Hoffmann & Marco Runkel, 2012.
"Why Countries Compete in Ad Valorem Instead of Unit Capital Taxes,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3893, CESifo Group Munich.
- Runkel, Marco & Hoffmann, Magnus, 2012. "Why Countries Compete in Ad Valorem Instead of Unit Capital Taxes," Annual Conference 2012 (Goettingen): New Approaches and Challenges for the Labor Market of the 21st Century 62079, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Liqun Liu, 2003. "Relative Efficiency of AD Valorem and Unit Taxes: The Case of Endogenous Quality," Public Finance Review, SAGE Publishing, vol. 31(3), pages 291-301, May.
- Anderson, Simon & de Palma, Andre & Kreider, Brent, 2001.
"The Efficiency of Indirect Taxes Under Imperfect Competition,"
Staff General Research Papers Archive
5203, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Anderson, Simon P. & de Palma, Andre & Kreider, Brent, 2001. "The efficiency of indirect taxes under imperfect competition," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 231-251, August.
- S. P. Anderson & A. de Palma & B. Kreider, 1999. "The efficiency of indirect taxes under imperfect competition," THEMA Working Papers 99-09, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Anderson, S.P. & de Palma, A. & Kreider, K., 1999. "The Efficiency of Indirect Taxes Under Imperfect Competition," Papers 99-09, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- Simon P. Anderson & Andre de Palma & Brent Kreider, 2000. "The Efficiency of Indirect Taxes under Imperfect Competition," Virginia Economics Online Papers 342, University of Virginia, Department of Economics.
- Hamilton, Stephen F., 1999. "The comparative efficiency of ad valorem and specific taxes under monopoly and monopsony," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 235-238, May.
- Skeath, Susan E. & Trandel, Gregory A., 1994. "A Pareto comparison of ad valorem and unit taxes in noncompetitive environments," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 53-71, January.
- Blackorby, Charles & Murty, Sushama, 2006.
"Unit Versus Ad Valorem Taxes : Monopoly In General Equilibrium,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
761, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Blackorby, Charles & Murty, Sushama, 2007. "Unit versus ad valorem taxes: Monopoly in general equilibrium," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(3-4), pages 817-822, April.
- Harvey E. Lapan & David A. Hennessy, 2011. "Unit versus Ad Valorem Taxes in Multiproduct Cournot Oligopoly," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 13(1), pages 125-138, 02.
- Lisa Grazzini, 2006. "A Note on Ad Valorem and Per Unit Taxation in an Oligopoly Model," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 89(1), pages 59-74, October.
- Ben Lockwood, 2004. "Competition in Unit vs. Ad Valorem Taxes," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 11(6), pages 763-772, November.
- Susanne Dröge & Philipp Schröder, 2009. "The welfare comparison of corrective ad valorem and unit taxes under monopolistic competition," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 16(2), pages 164-175, April.
- Philipp J. H. Schröder, 2003. "The Comparison between Ad Valorem and Unit Taxes under Monopolistic Competition," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 333, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Francis K. Cheung, 1998. "Excise Tax on a Non-Uniform Pricing Monopoly: Ad Valorem and Unit Taxes Compared," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 31(5), pages 1192-1203, November.
- Martin L. Weitzman, 1974.
"Prices vs. Quantities,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 41(4), pages 477-491.
- Sofia Delipalla & Michael Keen, 2006. "Product Quality and the Optimal Structure of Commodity Taxes," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 8(4), pages 547-554, October.
- Dickie, M. & Trandel, G.A., 1993. "Comparing Specific and Ad Vaslorem Pigouvian Taxes and Output Quotas," Papers 431, Georgia - College of Business Administration, Department of Economics.
- Kind, Hans Jarle & Koethenbuerger, Marko & Schjelderup, Guttorm, 2009.
"On revenue and welfare dominance of ad valorem taxes in two-sided markets,"
Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 86-88, August.
- Kind, Hans Jarle & Koethenbuerger, Marko & Schjelderup, Guttorm, 2009. "On Revenue and Welfare Dominance of Ad Valorem Taxes in Two-Sided Markets," Discussion Papers 2009/9, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Laszlo Goerke, 2011. "Commodity Tax Structure under Uncertainty in a Perfectly Competitive Market," CESifo Working Paper Series 3339, CESifo Group Munich.
- R.W. Fraser, 1984.
"Commodity Taxes Under Uncertainty,"
Economics Discussion / Working Papers
84-09, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_3946. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Klaus Wohlrabe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.