Failure of Ad Valorem and Specific Tax Equivalence under Uncertainty
Applying a framework of perfect competition under uncertainty, we contribute to the discussion of whether or not ad valorem taxes and specific taxes are equivalent. While this equivalence holds without price uncertainty, we show that ad valorem taxes and specific taxes are “almost never” equivalent in the presence of uncertainty if we demand equivalence to hold pathwise. Since we obtain this result under perfect competition, our analysis also provides a further rationale for why the equivalence must fail under imperfect competition.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Campus II, D-54286 Trier|
Web page: http://www.iaaeu.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Susanne Dröge & Philipp Schröder, 2009. "The welfare comparison of corrective ad valorem and unit taxes under monopolistic competition," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 16(2), pages 164-175, April.
- Laszlo Goerke, 2011.
"Commodity tax structure under uncertainty in a perfectly competitive market,"
Journal of Economics,
Springer, vol. 103(3), pages 203-219, July.
- Laszlo Goerke, 2011. "Commodity Tax Structure under Uncertainty in a Perfectly Competitive Market," CESifo Working Paper Series 3339, CESifo Group Munich.
- Blackorby, Charles & Murty, Sushama, 2007.
"Unit versus ad valorem taxes: Monopoly in general equilibrium,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 91(3-4), pages 817-822, April.
- Blackorby, Charles & Murty, Sushama, 2006. "Unit Versus Ad Valorem Taxes : Monopoly In General Equilibrium," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 761, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Ben Lockwood, 2004. "Competition in Unit vs. Ad Valorem Taxes," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 11(6), pages 763-772, November.
- Lisa Grazzini, 2006. "A Note on Ad Valorem and Per Unit Taxation in an Oligopoly Model," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 89(1), pages 59-74, October.
- Stephen F. Hamilton, 2009. "Excise Taxes with Multiproduct Transactions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 99(1), pages 458-471, March.
- Martin L. Weitzman, 1974.
"Prices vs. Quantities,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 41(4), pages 477-491.
- S. P. Anderson & A. de Palma & B. Kreider, 1999.
"The efficiency of indirect taxes under imperfect competition,"
THEMA Working Papers
99-09, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Anderson, Simon P. & de Palma, Andre & Kreider, Brent, 2001. "The efficiency of indirect taxes under imperfect competition," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 231-251, August.
- Simon P. Anderson & Andre de Palma & Brent Kreider, 2000. "The Efficiency of Indirect Taxes under Imperfect Competition," Virginia Economics Online Papers 342, University of Virginia, Department of Economics.
- Anderson, Simon & de Palma, Andre & Kreider, Brent, 2001. "The Efficiency of Indirect Taxes Under Imperfect Competition," Staff General Research Papers Archive 5203, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Anderson, S.P. & de Palma, A. & Kreider, K., 1999. "The Efficiency of Indirect Taxes Under Imperfect Competition," Papers 99-09, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- Dickie, M. & Trandel, G.A., 1993. "Comparing Specific and Ad Vaslorem Pigouvian Taxes and Output Quotas," Papers 431, Georgia - College of Business Administration, Department of Economics.
- Francis K. Cheung, 1998. "Excise Tax on a Non-Uniform Pricing Monopoly: Ad Valorem and Unit Taxes Compared," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 31(5), pages 1192-1203, November.
- Hamilton, Stephen F., 1999. "The comparative efficiency of ad valorem and specific taxes under monopoly and monopsony," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 235-238, May.
- Magnus Hoffmann & Marco Runkel, 2012.
"Why Countries Compete in Ad Valorem Instead of Unit Capital Taxes,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3893, CESifo Group Munich.
- Runkel, Marco & Hoffmann, Magnus, 2012. "Why Countries Compete in Ad Valorem Instead of Unit Capital Taxes," Annual Conference 2012 (Goettingen): New Approaches and Challenges for the Labor Market of the 21st Century 62079, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Philipp J. H. Schröder, 2003.
"The Comparison between Ad Valorem and Unit Taxes under Monopolistic Competition,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
333, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Philipp J. H. Schröder, 2004. "The Comparison between Ad Valorem and Unit Taxes under Monopolistic Competition," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 83(3), pages 281-292, December.
- Sophia Delipalla, 2009. "Tobacco Tax Structure and Smuggling," FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 65(1), pages 93-104, March.
- R.W. Fraser, 1984.
"Commodity Taxes Under Uncertainty,"
Economics Discussion / Working Papers
84-09, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Harvey E. Lapan & David A. Hennessy, 2011. "Unit versus Ad Valorem Taxes in Multiproduct Cournot Oligopoly," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 13(1), pages 125-138, 02.
- Liqun Liu, 2003. "Relative Efficiency of AD Valorem and Unit Taxes: The Case of Endogenous Quality," Public Finance Review, SAGE Publishing, vol. 31(3), pages 291-301, May.
- Skeath, Susan E. & Trandel, Gregory A., 1994. "A Pareto comparison of ad valorem and unit taxes in noncompetitive environments," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 53-71, January.
- Robert Earle & Karl Schmedders & Tymon Tatur, 2007. "On Price Caps Under Uncertainty," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 74(1), pages 93-111.
- Sofia Delipalla & Michael Keen, 2006. "Product Quality and the Optimal Structure of Commodity Taxes," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 8(4), pages 547-554, October.
- Kind, Hans Jarle & Koethenbuerger, Marko & Schjelderup, Guttorm, 2009.
"On revenue and welfare dominance of ad valorem taxes in two-sided markets,"
Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 86-88, August.
- Kind, Hans Jarle & Koethenbuerger, Marko & Schjelderup, Guttorm, 2009. "On Revenue and Welfare Dominance of Ad Valorem Taxes in Two-Sided Markets," Discussion Papers 2009/9, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iaa:dpaper:201205. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Adrian Chadi)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.