Some relevant risk factors and causal mechanisms to understand crime in Romania
The objective of this paper is to provide some empirical evidence of relevant risk factors and causal mechanisms to understand criminal behavior in Romania. In order to achieve this goal, some socio-economic variables are considered: long-term unemployment rate and people at risk of poverty or social exclusion and, as crime variables we use four different types of crimes: domestic burglary, homicide, motor vehicle theft and robbery. At the regional level, the results of our panel data analysis, using data regarding the development regions of Romania for a time span between 2008 and 2010, supports the thesis of a direct and significant correlation between poverty and crime. Our results thus indicate that for Romania poverty is a significant risk factor in predicting crime and unemployment is not a significant risk factor even if we considered the long-term unemployment.
Volume (Year): 8 (2014)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Bucharest, 6th district, 47 Fabricii Street, Quadra Place, bl.J, fl.1, ap.12|
Web page: http://www.reaser.eu/pgsa/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zuzana Janko & Gurleen Popli, 2015.
"Examining the link between crime and unemployment: a time-series analysis for Canada,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(37), pages 4007-4019, August.
- Zuzana Janko & Gurleen Popli, 2013. "Examining the Link between Crime and Unemployment: A Time Series Analysis for Canada," Working Papers 2013001, The University of Sheffield, Department of Economics.
- Gumus, Erdal, 2003. "Crime in Urban Areas: An Empirical Investigation," MPRA Paper 42106, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Denis Fougère & Francis Kramarz & Julien Pouget, 2009.
"Youth Unemployment and Crime in France,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 7(5), pages 909-938, September.
- Fougère, Denis & Kramarz, Francis & Pouget, Julien, 2006. "Youth Unemployment and Crime in France," IZA Discussion Papers 2009, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Denis Fougère & Francis Kramarz & Julien Pouget, 2007. "Youth Unemployment and Crime in France," Working Papers 2007-33, Center for Research in Economics and Statistics.
- Fougère, Denis & Kramarz, Francis & Pouget, Julien, 2006. "Youth Unemployment and Crime in France," CEPR Discussion Papers 5600, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ferda Halicioglu, 2012.
"Temporal causality and the dynamics of crime in Turkey,"
International Journal of Social Economics,
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 39(9), pages 704-720, July.
- Halicioglu, Ferda, 2012. "Temporal Causality and the Dynamics of Crime in Turkey," MPRA Paper 41794, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rse:wpaper:v:8:y:2014:i:2:p:64-69. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Manuela Epure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.