Import Substitution Potential and Gains from Economic Integration: Disaggregated Estimations
In the article, we focus on measuring gains from integration in the form of import substitution at the 4-digit HS2007 commodity level (1199 groups) and EBOPS services (11 groups). Integration studies based on CGE models and gravity equations usually provide the less accurate results the more detailed level of commodity disaggregation is used. We propose a new approach to estimate gains from integration in the form of import substitution, based on the “product space” concept developed by Hausmann and Klinger (2007) [The Structure of the Product Space and the Evolution of Comparative Advantage; CID Working Paper No. 146]. In our approach, the main driver of import substitution is the difference between actual and potential comparative advantages. Our method relies on international trade data to estimate the reduction in import value of those goods and services that are heavily imported by a country. We calculate the gains for the Eurasian Economic Union and show that machinery, chemicals and some services benefit much from integration in the form of import substitution. As a whole, integration seems to be a minor factor of the import substitution potential (only 5.5 percent of potential reduction in imports is associated with integration). However, integration is the major factor for some goods and services, such as telecommunication and transport services, transmission shafts and cranks, insecticides, fungicides and herbicides, motor vehicles for the transport of goods, orthopaedic appliances and hearing aids (for these products and services, the contribution of integration to import substitution potential exceeds 50 percent)
Volume (Year): 2 (2017)
Issue (Month): (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 82, Vernadsky pr., 117571, Moscow|
Phone: +7 (499) 956 95 86
Fax: (095) 564-85-80
Web page: http://www.rane.ru/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martin Bijsterbosch & Marcin Kolasa, 2010.
"FDI and productivity convergence in Central and Eastern Europe: an industry-level investigation,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 145(4), pages 689-712, January.
- Kolasa, Marcin & Bijsterbosch, Martin, 2009. "FDI and productivity convergence in central and eastern Europe: an industry-level investigation," Working Paper Series 992, European Central Bank.
- Ricahrd E. Baldwin & Joseph F. Francois & Richard Portes, 1997. "The costs and benefits of eastern enlargement: the impact on the EU and central Europe," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 12(24), pages 125-176, 04.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2003. "Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(1), pages 170-192, March.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2000. "Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 485, Boston College Department of Economics.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2001. "Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle," NBER Working Papers 8079, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dixon, Peter B. & Parmenter, B.R., 1996. "Computable general equilibrium modelling for policy analysis and forecasting," Handbook of Computational Economics,in: H. M. Amman & D. A. Kendrick & J. Rust (ed.), Handbook of Computational Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 1, pages 3-85 Elsevier.
- Geetha Ravishankar & Marie M. Stack, 2014. "The Gravity Model and Trade Efficiency: A Stochastic Frontier Analysis of Eastern European Countries' Potential Trade," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(5), pages 690-704, May.
- Chen, Natalie & Imbs, Jean & Scott, Andrew, 2009. "The dynamics of trade and competition," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 50-62, February.
- Natalie Chen & Jean Imbs & Andrew Scott, 2006. "The dynamics of trade and competition," Working Paper Research 91, National Bank of Belgium.
- Natalie Chen & Jean Imbs & Andrew Scott, 2009. "The Dynamics of Trade and Competition," Post-Print hal-00612547, HAL.
- Ricardo Hausmann & Bailey Klinger, 2007. "The Structure of the Product Space and the Evolution of Comparative Advantage," CID Working Papers 146, Center for International Development at Harvard University.
- Cox, David & Harris, Richard, 1985. "Trade Liberalization and Industrial Organization: Some Estimates for Canada," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(1), pages 115-145, February.
- David Cox & Richard Harris, 1983. "Trade Liberalization and Industrial Organization: Some Estimates for Canada," Working Papers 523, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Drusilla K. Brown & Alan V. Deardorff & Robert M. Stern, 1992. "A North American Free Trade Agreement: Analytical Issues and a Computational Assessment," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(1), pages 11-30, January.
- Brown, D.K. & Deardorff, A.V. & Stern, R.M., 1991. "A North American Free Trade Agreement: Analytical Issues and A Computational Assessment," Working Papers 289, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Ricardo Hausmann & Jason Hwang & Dani Rodrik, 2007. "What you export matters," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 1-25, March.
- Hausmann, Ricardo & Hwang, Jason & Rodrik, Dani, 2005. "What You Export Matters," Working Paper Series rwp05-063, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Hausmann, Ricardo & Hwang, Jason & Rodrik, Dani, 2006. "What You Export Matters," CEPR Discussion Papers 5444, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ricardo Hausmann & Jason Hwang & Dani Rodrik, 2005. "What You Export Matters," NBER Working Papers 11905, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ricardo Hausmann & Jason Hwang & Dani Rodrik, 2005. "What You Export Matters," CID Working Papers 123, Center for International Development at Harvard University.
- Harrison, Glenn & Rutherford, Thomas & Tarr, David & DEC, 1994. "Product standards, imperfect competition and completion of the market in the European Union," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1293, The World Bank.
- Schaefer Kurt C & Anderson Michael A & Ferrantino Michael J, 2008. "Monte Carlo Appraisals of Gravity Model Specifications," Global Economy Journal, De Gruyter, vol. 8(1), pages 1-26, February.
- Anderson, Michael A. & Ferrantino, Michael J. & Schaefer, Kurt C., 2004. "Monte Carlos Appraisals of Gravity Model Specifications," Working Papers 15864, United States International Trade Commission, Office of Economics.
- Haaland, Jan I. & Norman, Victor D, 1992. "Global Production Effects of European Integration," CEPR Discussion Papers 669, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hertel, Thomas, 1997. "Global Trade Analysis: Modeling and applications," GTAP Books, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University, number 7685.
- A. Porojan, 2001. "Trade Flows and Spatial Effects: The Gravity Model Revisited," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 265-280, July.
- Pedro Moncarz & Marcelo Olarreaga & Marcel Vaillant, 2016. "Regionalism as Industrial Policy: Evidence from MERCOSUR," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(1), pages 359-373, February.
- W. Hertel, Thomas, 2001. "Dynamic Effects of the “New Age” Free Trade Agreement between Japan and Singapore," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 16, pages 446-484.
- Hertel, Thomas W. & Terrie Walmsley & Ken Itakura, 2001. "Dynamic Effects of the "New Age" Free Trade Agreement between Japan and Singapore," GTAP Working Papers 823, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Esperancini, Maura Seiko Tsutsui & Furlaneto, Fernanda De Paiva Badiz & Reco, Paulo Cesar & Ojima, Andrea Leda Ramos De Oliveira & Yasuda, Gabriela Martins, 2008. "Retorno E Risco Econômico No Cultivo De Soja Convencional E Transgênica Na Região Paulista Do Médio Paranapanema, Safra 2006/07," 46th Congress, July 20-23, 2008, Rio Branco, Acre, Brasil 109764, Sociedade Brasileira de Economia, Administracao e Sociologia Rural (SOBER).
- Ling Tang & Qin Bao & ZhongXiang Zhang & Shouyang Wang, 2015. "Carbon-based border tax adjustments and China’s international trade: analysis based on a dynamic computable general equilibrium model," Environmental Economics and Policy Studies, Springer;Society for Environmental Economics and Policy Studies - SEEPS, vol. 17(2), pages 329-360, April.
- Ling Tang & Qin Bao & ZhongXiang Zhang & Shouyang Wang, 2013. "Carbon-based Border Tax Adjustments and China’s International Trade: Analysis based on a Dynamic Computable General Equilibrium Model," Working Papers 2013.17, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Zhang, ZhongXiang & Tang, Ling & Bao, Qin & Wang, Shouyang, 2013. "Carbon-based Border Tax Adjustments and China’s International Trade: Analysis based on a Dynamic Computable General Equilibrium Model," Working Papers 249402, Australian National University, Centre for Climate Economics & Policy.
- Ling Tang & Qin Bao & ZhongXiang Zhang & Shouyang Wang, 2013. "Carbon-based Border Tax Adjustments and China's International Trade: Analysis based on a Dynamic Computable General Equilibrium Model," CCEP Working Papers 1301, Centre for Climate Economics & Policy, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Ricardo Hausmann & César Hidalgo, 2011. "The network structure of economic output," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 16(4), pages 309-342, December.
- Ricardo Hausmann & Cesar A. Hidalgo, 2011. "The Network Structure of Economic Output," Papers 1101.1707, arXiv.org, revised Feb 2012.
- ANDO Mitsuyo, 2009. "Impacts of FTAs in East Asia: CGE Simulation Analysis," Discussion papers 09037, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- McKitrick, Ross R., 1998. "The econometric critique of computable general equilibrium modeling: the role of functional forms," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 543-573, October.
- G. Philippidis & A. I. Sanjuán, 2007. "An Analysis of Mercosur's Regional Trading Arrangements," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(3), pages 504-531, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rnp:ecopol:ep1712. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RANEPA maintainer)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.