From the Mac Sharry Reform to Agenda 2000: The Cap Greening Process
This paper deals with the long and complex process of integrating environmental objectives into the agricultural policy of the EU. The greening process was reinforced with the Cap reform in Agenda 2000, and especially with inclusion of agri-environmental measures in rural development plans and the introduction of horizontal regulation. The process has gained momentum on the strength of two sets of factors: i) the issue of potential health hazards in food; ii) the Agenda 2000 mid-term review. Altogether, the integration of environmental objectives with agricultural and rural development policies has been partial and incomplete so far, mainly because it is based on conditionality to sector-based tools with different goals. It would therefore be more effective to focus on specific environmental objectives and reinforce territory-based instruments, especially those already available in the EU policy tool set but currently subordinated to market and sector-based policies.
Volume (Year): (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Silvio d'Amico 77, - 00145 Rome Italy|
Phone: +39 06 57114743
Fax: +39 06 57114774
Web page: http://host.uniroma3.it/associazioni/rossidoria/qa.asp
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anania, Giovanni, 2003. "The WTO negotiation on agriculture and the common agricultural policy," Studies in Spatial Development: Chapters,in: Policy vision for sustainable rural economies in an enlarged Europe, pages 121-134 Akademie für Raumforschung und Landesplanung (ARL) - Leibniz-Forum für Raumwissenschaften.
- Swinbank, Alan, 1999. "CAP Reform and the WTO: Compatibility and Developments," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 26(3), pages 389-407, August.
- Gatto, Emilio & Henke, Roberto & Velazquez, Beatriz E., 2002. "The Consistency of Rural Development Policies with the Position of the European Union on NTCS," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24871, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Blandford, David & Fulponi, Linda, 1999. "Emerging Public Concerns in Agriculture: Domestic Policies and International Trade Commitments," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 26(3), pages 409-424, August.
- Rabinowicz, Ewa, 1999. "Redesigning the CAP to Meet the Challenges of EU Enlargement and the WTO: What Can Agricultural Economic Research Contribute?," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 26(3), pages 265-281, August.
- Fabrizio De Filippis & Daniela Storti, 2002. "Le politiche di sviluppo rurale nell´unione europea: un secondo pilastro tutto da inventare," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0025, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rar:journl:0152. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.