Total factor productivity change of Swiss dairy farms in the mountain region in the period 1999 to 2008
In the present contribution we assess the total factor productivity (TFP) change in the period 1999- 2008 of Swiss dairy farms located in the mountain region using the Malmquist productivity index. We furthermore analyze the robustness of the results of this assessment to the effect of the type of panel used and to different modeling options regarding the inclusion of the ecological and ethological direct payments in the output set. The yearly TFP growth is shown to vary between +1.3% and +3.0% depending on the panel type and modelling option chosen. The results of our work suggest that the TFP growth rate of Swiss dairy farms in the mountain region is not lower than the levels observed in the dairy sector of other European countries. More generally, our investigation shows how sensitive the results of TFP change assessments are to data-related methodological choices and thus highlights the necessity of considering this issue when performing such assessments.
Volume (Year): 93 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 4, Allée Adolphe Bobierre, CS 61103, 35011 Rennes Cedex|
Web page: http://www.necplus.eu/action/displayJournal?jid=RAE
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Oral, Muhittin & Cinar, Unver & Chabchoub, Habib, 1999. "Linking industrial competitiveness and productivity at the firm level," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 118(2), pages 271-277, October.
- Christos Pantzios & Giannis Karagiannis & Vangelis Tzouvelekas, 2011.
"Parametric decomposition of the input-oriented Malmquist productivity index: with an application to Greek aquaculture,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 21-31, August.
- Christos Pantzios & Giannis Karagiannis & Vangelis Tzouvelekas, 2005. "Parametric Decomposition of the Input-Oriented Malmquist Productivity Index: With an Application to Greek Aquaculture," Working Papers 0518, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Carol Newman & Alan Matthews, 2006. "The productivity performance of Irish dairy farms 1984–2000: a multiple output distance function approach," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 26(2), pages 191-205, October.
- Tim J. Coelli & D. S. Prasada Rao, 2005. "Total factor productivity growth in agriculture: a Malmquist index analysis of 93 countries, 1980-2000," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 32(s1), pages 115-134, January.
- Tim J. Coelli & D.S. Prasada Rao, 2003. "Total Factor Productivity Growth in Agriculture: A Malmquist Index Analysis of 93 Countries,1980-2000," CEPA Working Papers Series WP022003, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Coelli, Tim J. & Prasada Rao, D. S., 2003. "Total Factor Productivity Growth in Agricultrue: A Malmquist Index Analysis of 93 Countries, 1980-2000," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa: Plenary Sessions 245928, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Carroll, J. & Greene, S. & O'Donoghue, Cathal & Newman, Carol F. & Thorne, Fiona S., 2009. "Productivity and the Determinants of Efficiency in Irish Agriculture (1996-2006)," 83rd Annual Conference, March 30-April 1, 2009, Dublin, Ireland 50941, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Kirner, Leopold & Gazzarin, Christian, 2007. "KÃ¼nftige WettbewerbsfÃ¤higkeit der Milchproduktion im Berggebiet Ã–sterreichs und der Schweiz," Journal of International Agricultural Trade and Development, Journal of International Agricultural Trade and Development, vol. 56(4).
- Bjurek, Hans, 1996. " The Malmquist Total Factor Productivity Index," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 98(2), pages 303-313, June.
- Jean-Philippe Boussemart & Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens & Jean-Christophe Poutineau, 2003. "Luenberger and Malmquist Productivity Indices: Theoretical Comparisons and Empirical Illustration," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(4), pages 391-405, October.
- Jean-Christophe Poutineau & W. Briec & J.-P. Boussemart & Kristiaan Kerstens, 2003. "Luenberger and Malmquist Productivity Indices: Theoretical Comparisons and Empirical Illustration," Post-Print halshs-00068813, HAL.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Fare, Rolf & Shawna Grosskopf & Mary Norris & Zhongyang Zhang, 1994. "Productivity Growth, Technical Progress, and Efficiency Change in Industrialized Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 66-83, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rae:jourae:v:93:y:2012:i:3:p:273-298. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nathalie Saux-Nogues)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.