Determinants of diffusion and adoption of improved technology for rice parboiling in Benin
The widespread use of traditional rice-parboiling methods in Benin leads to poor quality of final rice. To address this problem, the national agricultural research institute of Benin and Africa Rice Center have developed improved rice parboiling technology. An educational video developed by AfricaRice was used for it diffusion. Women have expressed high interest in the use of the technology and have reported that it helps increase the quality of their final rice despite its’ relatively high cost. This paper uses the Average Treatment Effect (ATE) framework and data collected from 200 women rice parboilers in central Benin to estimate the actual and potential adoption rates of this technology and the determinants of its diffusion and adoption. 85% of the sampled women were exposed to the technology in 2008. With this incomplete diffusion, the actual adoption rate is 67%, whereas the potential adoption rate is estimated to be 75%. “Being member of a parboilers association’’ and “Participation in video training” are positively associated with knowledge and adoption of this technology. This indicates that support and promotion of women parboilers associations is a means to increase technology uptake and access and video-supported training is an extension tool to promote agricultural technology awareness and adoption.
Volume (Year): 93 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.necplus.eu/action/displayJournal?jid=RAE
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guido M. Imbens & Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2008.
"Recent Developments in the Econometrics of Program Evaluation,"
NBER Working Papers
14251, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guido W. Imbens & Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2009. "Recent Developments in the Econometrics of Program Evaluation," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 47(1), pages 5-86, March.
- Guido Imbens & Jeffrey Wooldridge, 2008. "Recent developments in the econometrics of program evaluation," CeMMAP working papers CWP24/08, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Wooldridge, Jeffrey M. & Imbens, Guido, 2009. "Recent Developments in the Econometrics of Program Evaluation," Scholarly Articles 3043416, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Imbens, Guido W. & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M., 2008. "Recent Developments in the Econometrics of Program Evaluation," IZA Discussion Papers 3640, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Wozniak, Gregory D, 1993. "Joint Information Acquisition and New Technology Adoption: Late versus Early Adoption," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(3), pages 438-45, August.
- Dimara, Efthalia & Skuras, Dimitris, 2003.
"Adoption of agricultural innovations as a two-stage partial observability process,"
Blackwell, vol. 28(3), pages 187-196, May.
- Dimara, Efthalia & Skuras, Dimitris, 2003. "Adoption of agricultural innovations as a two-stage partial observability process," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 28(3), May.
- Adesina, Akinwumi A. & Baidu-Forson, Jojo, 1995. "Farmers' perceptions and adoption of new agricultural technology: evidence from analysis in Burkina Faso and Guinea, West Africa," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 13(1), pages 1-9, October.
- Adesina, Akinwumi A. & Zinnah, Moses M., 1993. "Technology characteristics, farmers' perceptions and adoption decisions: A Tobit model application in Sierra Leone," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 9(4), pages 297-311, December.
- Batz, F. -J. & Peters, K. J. & Janssen, W., 1999. "The influence of technology characteristics on the rate and speed of adoption," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 21(2), pages 121-130, October.
- Feder, Gershon & Just, Richard E & Zilberman, David, 1985. "Adoption of Agricultural Innovations in Developing Countries: A Survey," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 33(2), pages 255-98, January.
- Defoer, Toon, 2002. "Learning about methodology development for integrated soil fertility management," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 57-81, July.
- Seck, Papa A. & Tollens, Eric & Wopereis, Marco C.S. & Diagne, Aliou & Bamba, Ibrahim, 2010. "Rising trends and variability of rice prices: Threats and opportunities for sub-Saharan Africa," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 403-411, October.
- Diagne, Aliou, 2010. "Technological change in smallholder agriculture: Bridging the adoption gap by understanding its source," African Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, African Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 5(1), September.
- Lisa A. Cameron, 1999. "The Importance of Learning in the Adoption of High-Yielding Variety Seeds," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(1), pages 83-94.
- McFadden, Daniel L & Train, Kenneth E, 1996. "Consumers' Evaluation of New Products: Learning from Self and Others," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(4), pages 683-703, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rae:jourae:v:93:y:2012:i:2:p:171-191. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nathalie Saux-Nogues)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.