A Long-Run Relationship between Daily Prices on Two Markets: The Bayesian VAR(2)–MSF-SBEKK Model
We develop a fully Bayesian framework for analysis and comparison of two competing approaches to modelling daily prices on different markets. The first approach, prevailing in financial econometrics, amounts to assuming that logarithms of prices behave like a multivariate random walk; this approach describes logarithmic returns most often by the VAR(1) model with MGARCH (or sometimes MSV) disturbances. In the second approach, considered here, it is assumed that daily price levels are linked together and, thus, the error correction term is added to the usual VAR(1)–MGARCH or VAR(1)–MSV model for logarithmic returns, leading to a reduced rank VAR(2) specification for logarithms of prices. The model proposed in the paper uses a hybrid MSVMGARCH structure for VAR(2) disturbances. In order to keep cointegration modelling as simple as possible, we restrict to the case of two prices representing two different markets. The aim of the paper is to show how to check if a long-run relationship between daily prices exists and whether taking it into account influences our inference on volatility and short-run relations between returns on different markets. In the empirical example the daily values of the S&P500 index and the WTI oil price in the period 19.12.2005 – 30.09.2011 are jointly modelled. It is shown that, although the logarithms of the values of S&P500 and WTI oil price seem to be cointegrated, neglecting the error correction term leads to practically the same conclusions on volatility and conditional correlation as keeping it in the model.
Volume (Year): 5 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://cejeme.org/ |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Strachan, Rodney W, 2003.
"Valid Bayesian Estimation of the Cointegrating Error Correction Model,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 21(1), pages 185-95, January.
- Strachan, R., 2000. "Valid Bayesian Estimation of the Cointegrating Error Correction Model," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 6/00, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Mahadevan, Renuka & Suardi, Sandy, 2011. "The effects of uncertainty dynamics on exports, imports and productivity growth," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 174-188, April.
- Jacek Osiewalski & Anna Pajor, 2009. "Bayesian Analysis for Hybrid MSF-SBEKK Models of Multivariate Volatility," Central European Journal of Economic Modelling and Econometrics, CEJEME, vol. 1(2), pages 179-202, November.
- Bekiros, S. & Diks, C.G.H., 2007.
"The Relationship between Crude Oil Spot and Futures Prices: Cointegration, Linear and Nonlinear Causality,"
CeNDEF Working Papers
07-11, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Bekiros, Stelios D. & Diks, Cees G.H., 2008. "The relationship between crude oil spot and futures prices: Cointegration, linear and nonlinear causality," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 2673-2685, September.
- Krzysztof Osiewalski & Jacek Osiewalski, 2012. "Missing observations in daily returns - Bayesian inference within the MSF-SBEKK model," Central European Journal of Economic Modelling and Econometrics, CEJEME, vol. 4(3), pages 169-197, September.
- Anna Pajor, 2011. "A Bayesian Analysis of Exogeneity in Models with Latent Variables," Central European Journal of Economic Modelling and Econometrics, CEJEME, vol. 3(2), pages 49-73, June.
- Gary Koop & Roberto León-González & Rodney W. Strachan, 2010.
"Efficient Posterior Simulation for Cointegrated Models with Priors on the Cointegration Space,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(2), pages 224-242, April.
- Gary Koop & Roberto León-González & Rodney W. Strachan, 2005. "Efficient Posterior Simulation for Cointegrated Models with Priors On the Cointegration Space," Discussion Papers in Economics 05/13, Department of Economics, University of Leicester, revised Apr 2006.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to demonstrate Gibbs sampling in a cointegrated model," Statistical Software Components RTZ00187, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Chang, Chiao-Yi & Lai, Jing-Yi & Chuang, I-Yuan, 2010. "Futures hedging effectiveness under the segmentation of bear/bull energy markets," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 442-449, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:psc:journl:v:5:y:2013:i:1:p:65-83. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Krzysztof Osiewalski)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.