Bayesian Analysis for Hybrid MSF-SBEKK Models of Multivariate Volatility
The aim of this paper is to examine the empirical usefulness of two new MSF - Scalar BEKK(1,1) models of n-variate volatility. These models formally belong to the MSV class, but in fact are some hybrids of the simplest MGARCH and MSV specifications. Such hybrid structures have been proposed as feasible (yet non-trivial) tools for analyzing highly dimensional financial data (large n). This research shows Bayesian model comparison for two data sets with n = 2, since in bivariate cases we can obtain Bayes factors against many (even unparsimonious) MGARCH and MSV specifications. Also, for bivariate data, approximate posterior results (based on preliminary estimates of nuisance matrix parameters) are compared to the exact ones in both MSF-SBEKK models. Finally, approximate results are obtained for a large set of returns on equities (n = 34).
Volume (Year): 1 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://cejeme.org/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- BAUWENS, Luc & LAURENT, Sébastien & ROMBOUTS, Jeroen, 2003.
"Multivariate GARCH models: a survey,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2003031, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jeff Fleming & Chris Kirby, 2003. "A Closer Look at the Relation between GARCH and Stochastic Autoregressive Volatility," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 1(3), pages 365-419.
- Michael Smith & Andrew Pitts, 2006. "Foreign Exchange Intervention by the Bank of Japan: Bayesian Analysis Using a Bivariate Stochastic Volatility Model," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(2-3), pages 425-451.
- Engle, Robert, 2002. "Dynamic Conditional Correlation: A Simple Class of Multivariate Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 339-50, July.
- Osiewalski, Jacek & Pipien, Mateusz, 2004. "Bayesian comparison of bivariate ARCH-type models for the main exchange rates in Poland," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 123(2), pages 371-391, December.
- Chib, Siddhartha & Nardari, Federico & Shephard, Neil, 2006.
"Analysis of high dimensional multivariate stochastic volatility models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 134(2), pages 341-371, October.
- Neil Shephard & Siddhartha Chib, 1999. "Analysis of High Dimensional Multivariate Stochastic Volatility Models," Economics Series Working Papers 1999-W18, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- David Chan & Robert Kohn & Chris Kirby, 2006. "Multivariate Stochastic Volatility Models with Correlated Errors," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(2-3), pages 245-274.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:psc:journl:v:1:y:2009:i:2:p:179-202. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Krzysztof Osiewalski)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.