Modelling Volatility by Variance Decomposition
In this paper, we propose two parametric alternatives to the standard GARCH model. They allow the variance of the model to have a smooth time-varying structure of either additive or multiplicative type. The suggested parameterisations describe both nonlinearity and structural change in the conditional and unconditional variances where the transition between regimes over time is smooth. The main focus is on the multiplicative decom- position that decomposes the variance into an unconditional and conditional component. A modelling strategy for the time-varying GARCH model based on the multiplicative decomposition of the variance is developed. It is heavily dependent on Lagrange multiplier type misspeci.cation tests. Finite-sample properties of the strategy and tests are examined by simulation. An empirical application to daily stock returns and another one to daily exchange rate returns illustrate the functioning and properties of our modelling strategy in practice. The results show that the long memory type behaviour of the sample autocorrelation functions of the absolute returns can also be explained by deterministic changes in the unconditional variance.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Núcleo de Investigação em Políticas Económicas, Escola de Economia e Gestão, Universidade do Minho, P-4710-057 Braga, Portugal|
Phone: +351-253604510 ext 5532
Web page: http://www3.eeg.uminho.pt/economia/nipe/versao_inglesa/index_uk.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baillie, Richard T. & Bollerslev, Tim & Mikkelsen, Hans Ole, 1996.
"Fractionally integrated generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 3-30, September.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS programs to replicate Baillie, Bollerslev, Mikkelson FIGARCH results," Statistical Software Components RTZ00009, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Meitz, Mika & Saikkonen, Pentti, 2011.
"Parameter Estimation In Nonlinear Ar–Garch Models,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(06), pages 1236-1278, December.
- Mika Meitz & Pentti Saikkonen, 2008. "Parameter Estimation in Nonlinear AR-GARCH Models," Economics Working Papers ECO2008/25, European University Institute.
- Mika Meitz & Pentti Saikkonen, 2008. "Parameter estimation in nonlinear AR-GARCH models," Economics Series Working Papers 396, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Mika Meitz & Pentti Saikkonen, 2008. "Parameter estimation in nonlinear AR-GARCH models," CREATES Research Papers 2008-30, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Mika Meitz & Pentti Saikkonen, 2010. "Parameter estimation in nonlinear AR–GARCH models," Koç University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers 1002, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Song, Peter X.K. & Fan, Yanqin & Kalbfleisch, John D., 2005. "Maximization by Parts in Likelihood Inference," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 1145-1158, December.
- Engle, Robert F & Ng, Victor K, 1993.
" Measuring and Testing the Impact of News on Volatility,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1749-1778, December.
- Robert F. Engle & Victor K. Ng, 1991. "Measuring and Testing the Impact of News on Volatility," NBER Working Papers 3681, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Richard T. Baillie & Claudio Morana, 2007.
"Modeling Long Memory and Structural Breaks in Conditional Variances: An Adaptive FIGARCH Approach,"
593, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Baillie, Richard T. & Morana, Claudio, 2009. "Modelling long memory and structural breaks in conditional variances: An adaptive FIGARCH approach," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 33(8), pages 1577-1592, August.
- Richard T. Baillie & Claudio Morana, 2007. "Modeling Long Memory and Structural Breaks in Conditional Variances: an Adaptive FIGARCH Approach," ICER Working Papers - Applied Mathematics Series 11-2007, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Cristina Amado & Timo Teräsvirta, 2011.
"Conditional Correlation Models of Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity with Nonstationary GARCH Equations,"
CREATES Research Papers
2011-24, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Cristina Amado & Timo TerÃ¤svirta, 2014. "Conditional Correlation Models of Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity With Nonstationary GARCH Equations," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(1), pages 69-87, January.
- Cristina Amado & Timo Teräsvirta, 2011. "Conditional Correlation Models of Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity with Nonstationary GARCH Equations," NIPE Working Papers 15/2011, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- VAN BELLEGEM, Sébastien, 2011. "Locally stationary volatility modelling," CORE Discussion Papers 2011041, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Glosten, Lawrence R & Jagannathan, Ravi & Runkle, David E, 1993.
" On the Relation between the Expected Value and the Volatility of the Nominal Excess Return on Stocks,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1779-1801, December.
- Lawrence R. Glosten & Ravi Jagannathan & David E. Runkle, 1993. "On the relation between the expected value and the volatility of the nominal excess return on stocks," Staff Report 157, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Eitrheim, Øyvind & Teräsvirta, Timo, 1995.
"Testing the Adequacy of Smooth Transition Autoregressive Models,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
56, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Eitrheim, Oyvind & Terasvirta, Timo, 1996. "Testing the adequacy of smooth transition autoregressive models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 59-75, September.
- Hamilton, James D. & Susmel, Raul, 1994.
"Autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity and changes in regime,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 64(1-2), pages 307-333.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS programs to estimate Hamilton-Susmel Markov Switching ARCH model," Statistical Software Components RTZ00083, Boston College Department of Economics.
- A. Ronald Gallant, 1984. "The Fourier Flexible Form," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 66(2), pages 204-208.
- Jacek Osiewalski & Anna Pajor, 2009. "Bayesian Analysis for Hybrid MSF-SBEKK Models of Multivariate Volatility," Central European Journal of Economic Modelling and Econometrics, CEJEME, vol. 1(2), pages 179-202, November.
- Kim, Tae-Hwan & White, Halbert, 2004. "On more robust estimation of skewness and kurtosis," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 56-73, March.
- Thomas Mikosch & Cătălin Stărică, 2004. "Nonstationarities in Financial Time Series, the Long-Range Dependence, and the IGARCH Effects," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 86(1), pages 378-390, February.
- Enrique Sentana, 1995.
"Quadratic ARCH Models,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 62(4), pages 639-661.
- Fiorentini,G. & Calzolari,G. & Panattoni,L., 1995.
"Analytic Derivatives and the Computation of Garch Estimates,"
9519, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Fiorentini, Gabriele & Calzolari, Giorgio & Panattoni, Lorenzo, 1996. "Analytic Derivatives and the Computation of GARCH Estimates," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(4), pages 399-417, July-Aug..
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- Lin, Chien-Fu Jeff & Terasvirta, Timo, 1994. "Testing the constancy of regression parameters against continuous structural change," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 211-228, June.
- Timo Terasvirta & Zhenfang Zhao, 2011.
"Stylized facts of return series, robust estimates and three popular models of volatility,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(1-2), pages 67-94.
- Teräsvirta, Timo & Zhao, Zhenfang, 2007. "Stylized Facts of Return Series, Robust Estimates, and Three Popular Models of Volatility," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 662, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 05 Jun 2007.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1990. "Modelling the Coherence in Short-run Nominal Exchange Rates: A Multivariate Generalized ARCH Model," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(3), pages 498-505, August.
- Christian T. Brownlees & Giampiero Gallo, 2008.
"Comparison of Volatility Measures: a Risk Management Perspective,"
Econometrics Working Papers Archive
wp2008_03, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Statistica, Informatica, Applicazioni "G. Parenti".
- Christian T. Brownlees & Giampiero M. Gallo, 2010. "Comparison of Volatility Measures: a Risk Management Perspective," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 8(1), pages 29-56, Winter.
- Lamoureux, Christopher G & Lastrapes, William D, 1990. "Persistence in Variance, Structural Change, and the GARCH Model," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 8(2), pages 225-234, April.
- Mishra, Santosh & Su, Liangjun & Ullah, Aman, 2010. "Semiparametric Estimator of Time Series Conditional Variance," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 28(2), pages 256-274.
- Van Bellegem, Sebastien & von Sachs, Rainer, 2004. "Forecasting economic time series with unconditional time-varying variance," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 611-627.
- Robert F. Engle & Jose Gonzalo Rangel, 2008. "The Spline-GARCH Model for Low-Frequency Volatility and Its Global Macroeconomic Causes," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 21(3), pages 1187-1222, May.
- Berkes, Istv n & Gombay, Edit & Horv th, Lajos & Kokoszka, Piotr, 2004. "SEQUENTIAL CHANGE-POINT DETECTION IN GARCH(p,q) MODELS," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(06), pages 1140-1167, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nip:nipewp:01/2011. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maria João Thompson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.