L’analyse de la banque selon le paradigme de la finance et l’examen du modèle de banque universelle en France
[fre] Le mouvement de fusions-acquisitions dans la sphère bancaire a donné lieu à l’émergence de nouvelles entités à cheval sur plusieurs pays, et sur plusieurs secteurs d’activité. Dans cet article, on se réfère à la théorie financière du portefeuille afin d’évaluer la possibilité d’un amoindrissement du risque pouvant être obtenu par une diversification des activités en France. Cette démarche nous permet d’y examiner l’opportunité du modèle de banque universelle que l’on trouve, sous des formes diverses, en Allemagne, au Royaume-Uni, ou encore aux États-Unis. Classification JEL : G21 [eng] The analysis of the bank according to the paradigm of finance and the examination of the model of universal bank in France The movement of mergers and takeovers in the banking sphere gave place to the emergence of new entities straddling several countries and at the crossroads of several sectors. In this paper, we refer to the portfolio theory, to estimate the possibility of reduction of the risk which can be obtained by a diversification of the activities in France. This step allows us to examine the opportunity of the model of universal bank there, which we find in various forms, in Germany, in the United Kingdom, or still in the United States. Classification JEL : G21
Volume (Year): 91 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.persee.fr/collection/ecofi|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Panzar, John C & Willig, Robert D, 1981. "Economies of Scope," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(2), pages 268-272, May.
- Pyle, David H, 1971. "On the Theory of Financial Intermediation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 26(3), pages 737-747, June.
- Boyd, John H. & Graham, Stanley L. & Hewitt, R. Shawn, 1993. "Bank holding company mergers with nonbank financial firms: Effects on the risk of failure," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 43-63, February.
- Allen N. Berger & Gerald A. Hanweck & David B. Humphrey, 1986.
"Competitive viability in banking: scale, scope, and product mix economies,"
Research Papers in Banking and Financial Economics
82, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Berger, Allen N. & Hanweck, Gerald A. & Humphrey, David B., 1987. "Competitive viability in banking : Scale, scope, and product mix economies," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 501-520, December.
- Saunders, Anthony & Walter, Ingo, 1994. "Universal Banking in the United States: What Could We Gain? What Could We Lose?," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195080698, December.
- Richard Tilly, 1998. "Universal Banking in Historical Perspective," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 154(1), pages 7-7, March.
- Melitz, Jacques & Pardue, Morris, 1973. "The Demand and Supply of Commercial Bank Loans," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 5(2), pages 669-92, May.
- Bailey, Elizabeth E & Friedlaender, Ann F, 1982. "Market Structure and Multiproduct Industries," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 20(3), pages 1024-1048, September.
- Carow, Kenneth A., 2001. "Citicorp-Travelers Group merger: Challenging barriers between banking and insurance," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(8), pages 1553-1571, August.
- John H. Boyd & Stanley L. Graham, 1988. "The profitability and risk effects of allowing bank holding companies to merge with other financial firms: a simulation study," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Spr, pages 3-20.
- Ingo Walter, 1997. "Universal Banking: A Shareholder Value Perspective," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 96-40, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, 03.
- William F. Sharpe, 1963. "A Simplified Model for Portfolio Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 9(2), pages 277-293, January.
- Elijah Brewer & Diana Fortier & Christine A. Pavel, 1988. "Bank risk from nonbank activities," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Jul, pages 14-26.
- George J. Benston, 1994. "Universal Banking," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(3), pages 121-143, Summer.
- Adar, Zvi & Agmon, Tamir & Orgler, Yair E, 1975. "Output Mix and Jointness in Production in the Banking Firm," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 7(2), pages 235-43, May.
- Walter, Ingo, 1997. "Universal banking: A shareholder value perspective," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 344-360, August.
- Boyd, John H., 1999. "Expansion of commercial banking powers ... or, universal banking is the cart, not the horse," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(2-4), pages 655-662, February.
- John C. Panzar & Robert D. Willig, 1977. "Economies of Scale in Multi-Output Production," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 91(3), pages 481-493.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:prs:recofi:ecofi_0987-3368_2008_num_91_1_5062. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Equipe PERSEE)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.