On the portfolio effects of financial convergence - a review of the literature
This paper reviews the literature on the effects of combining banking and nonbank financial activities on banking organizations' risk and return. In general, securities activities, insurance agency, and insurance underwriting are all riskier and more profitable than banking activities. They also have the potential to provide diversification benefits to banking organizations. While real estate agency, title abstract activities, and real estate operation are more profitable than banking, real estate development may not be. Real estate activities are riskier than banking activities in general, and their diversification benefits for banking organizations are less clear.
Volume (Year): (1999)
Issue (Month): ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (415) 974-2000
Fax: (415) 974-3333
Web page: http://www.frbsf.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tim S. Campbell & J. Kimball Dietrich & Mark I. Weinstein, 1985. "Some evidence on bank holding company regulation: the question of expansion into the insurance business," Proceedings 96, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Elijah Brewer & Diana Fortier & Christine Pavel, 1988. "Bank risk from nonbank activities," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Jul, pages 14-26.
- Saunders, Anthony & Walter, Ingo, 1994. "Universal Banking in the United States: What Could We Gain? What Could We Lose?," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195080698, March.
- John H. Boyd & Stanley L. Graham, 1988. "The profitability and risk effects of allowing bank holding companies to merge with other financial firms: a simulation study," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Spr, pages 3-20.
- Boyd, John H. & Graham, Stanley L. & Hewitt, R. Shawn, 1993. "Bank holding company mergers with nonbank financial firms: Effects on the risk of failure," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 43-63, February.
- Rodney N. Johnson & David R. Meinster, 1974. "Bank Holding Companies: Diversification Opportunities in Nonbank Activities," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 1(4), pages 316-323, October.
- John H. Boyd & Stanley L. Graham, 1988. "The profitability and risk effects of allowing bank holding companies to merge with other financial firms: a simulation study," Proceedings 213, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Ang, James S. & Richardson, Terry, 1994. "The underwriting experience of commercial bank affiliates prior to the Glass-Steagall Act: A reexamination of evidence for passage of the act," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 351-395, January.
- Apilado, Vincent P. & Gallo, John G. & Lockwood, Larry J., 1993. "Expanded securities underwriting: Implications for bank risk and return," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 143-158, May.
- White, Eugene Nelson, 1986. "Before the Glass-Steagall Act: An analysis of the investment banking activities of national banks," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 33-55, January.
- Simon H. Kwan, 1998.
"Securities activities by commercial banking firms' section 20 subsidiaries: risk, return, and diversification benefits,"
609, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Simon Kwan, 1998. "Securities activities by commercial banking firms' Section 20 subsidiaries: risk, return and diversification benefits," Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory 98-10, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Kwast, Myron L., 1989. "The impact of underwriting and dealing on bank returns and risks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 101-125, March.
- Rose, Peter S, 1989. "Diversification of the Banking Firm," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 24(2), pages 251-80, May.
- Larry D. Wall & Alan K. Reichert & Sunil Mohanty, 1993. "Deregulation and the opportunities for commercial bank diversification," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Sep, pages 1-25.
- Puri, Manju, 1994. "The long-term default performance of bank underwritten security issues," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 397-418, January.
- Flannery, Mark J., 1991. "Pricing deposit insurance when the insurer measures bank risk with error," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(4-5), pages 975-998, September.
- Gary Whalen, 1998. "The relationship between organizational form and performance: the case of foreign securities subsidiaries of U.S. banking organizations," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Sep.
- Simon Kwan, 1995. "The economics of merging commercial and investment banking," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue may19.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedfer:y:1999:p:18-31:n:2. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Diane Rosenberger)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.