Are there diversification benefits of increasing noninterest income in the Chinese banking industry?
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Kwast, Myron L., 1989. "The impact of underwriting and dealing on bank returns and risks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 101-125, March.
- Lepetit, Laetitia & Nys, Emmanuelle & Rous, Philippe & Tarazi, Amine, 2008.
"The expansion of services in European banking: Implications for loan pricing and interest margins,"
Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(11), pages 2325-2335, November.
- Laetitia Lepetit & Emmanuelle Nys & Philippe Rous & Amine Tarazi, 2008. "The expansion of services in European banking: Implications for loan pricing and interest margins," Post-Print hal-00844822, HAL.
- Laetitia Lepetit & Emmanuelle Nys & Philippe Rous & Amine Tarazi, 2008. "The expansion of services in European banking: implications for loan pricing and interest margins," Post-Print hal-01098958, HAL.
- Stiroh, Kevin J. & Rumble, Adrienne, 2006. "The dark side of diversification: The case of US financial holding companies," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(8), pages 2131-2161, August.
- Stiroh, Kevin J, 2004.
"Diversification in Banking: Is Noninterest Income the Answer?,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(5), pages 853-882, October.
- Kevin J. Stiroh, 2002. "Diversification in banking: is noninterest income the answer?," Staff Reports 154, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Viral V. Acharya & Iftekhar Hasan & Anthony Saunders, 2002.
"The effects of focus and diversification on bank risk and return: evidence from individual bank loan portfolios,"
905, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Acharya, Viral V & Hasan, Iftekhar & Saunders, Anthony, 2002. "The Effects of Focus and Diversification on Bank Risk and Return: Evidence from Individual Bank Loan Portfolios," CEPR Discussion Papers 3252, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Saunders, Anthony & Walter, Ingo, 1994. "Universal Banking in the United States: What Could We Gain? What Could We Lose?," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195080698.
- John H. Boyd & Stanley L. Graham, 1988. "The profitability and risk effects of allowing bank holding companies to merge with other financial firms: a simulation study," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, vol. 12(Spr), pages 3-20.
- DeYoung, Robert & Roland, Karin P., 2001. "Product Mix and Earnings Volatility at Commercial Banks: Evidence from a Degree of Total Leverage Model," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 54-84, January.
- John H. Boyd & Stanley L. Graham, 1988. "The profitability and risk effects of allowing bank holding companies to merge with other financial firms: a simulation study," Proceedings 213, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Robert DeYoung & Tara Rice, 2004. "Noninterest Income and Financial Performance at U.S. Commercial Banks," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 39(1), pages 101-127, February.
- Lawrence J. Radecki, 1999. "Banks' payments-driven revenues," Staff Reports 62, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Lawrence J. Radecki, "undated". "Banks' payments-driven revenues," Economic Policy Review y:1999:i:jul:p:53-70:n:v., Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Brewer, Elijah III, 1989. "Relationship between bank holding company risk and nonbank activity," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 337-353, November.
- Baele, Lieven & De Jonghe, Olivier & Vander Vennet, Rudi, 2007. "Does the stock market value bank diversification?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 1999-2023, July.
- Busch, Ramona & Kick, Thomas, 2009. "Income diversification in the German banking industry," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2009,09, Deutsche Bundesbank.
- Kevin Stiroh, 2006. "New Evidence on the Determinants of Bank Risk," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 30(3), pages 237-263, December.
- Vincenzo Chiorazzo & Carlo Milani & Francesca Salvini, 2008. "Income Diversification and Bank Performance: Evidence from Italian Banks," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 33(3), pages 181-203, June.
- Rosie Smith & Christos Staikouras & Geoffrey Wood, 2003. "Non-interest income and total income stability," Bank of England working papers 198, Bank of England.
- Rose, Peter S, 1989. "Diversification of the Banking Firm," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 24(2), pages 251-280, May.
- Neil Esho & Paul Kofman & Ian Sharpe, 2005. "Diversification, Fee Income, and Credit Union Risk," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 27(3), pages 259-281, September.
- Mercieca, Steve & Schaeck, Klaus & Wolfe, Simon, 2007. "Small European banks: Benefits from diversification?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 1975-1998, July.
- Cara S. Lown & Carol L. Osler & Philip E. Strahan & Amir Sufi, "undated". "The changing landscape of the financial services industry: what lies ahead?," Economic Policy Review v.6 no.4, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Gallo, John G. & Apilado, Vincent P. & Kolari, James W., 1996. "Commercial bank mutual fund activities: Implications for bank risk and profitability," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(10), pages 1775-1791, December.
- Boyd, John H. & Graham, Stanley L. & Hewitt, R. Shawn, 1993. "Bank holding company mergers with nonbank financial firms: Effects on the risk of failure," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 43-63, February.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Khanh Ngoc Nguyen, 2019. "Revenue Diversification, Risk and Bank Performance of Vietnamese Commercial Banks," Journal of Risk and Financial Management, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 12(3), pages 1-21, August.
- Minzhi Wu & Emili Tortosa-Ausina, 2020. "Bank Diversification and Focus in Disruptive Times: China, 2007–2018," Working Papers 2020/21, Economics Department, Universitat Jaume I, Castellón (Spain).
- Maoyong Cheng & Hong Zhao & Mingming Zhou, 2016. "The effects of foreign strategic investors on business models in China’s commercial banks: does ownership structure matter?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 48(58), pages 5676-5698, December.
- Hou, Xiaohui & Li, Shuo & Li, Wanli & Wang, Qing, 2018. "Bank diversification and liquidity creation: Panel Granger-causality evidence from China," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 71(C), pages 87-98.
- Wang, Mingzhu & Sun, Xiaojie, 2019. "Identity of large owner, regulation and bank risk in developing countries," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 59(C), pages 106-133.
- Degl'Innocenti, Marta & Grant, Kevin & Šević, Aleksandar & Tzeremes, Nickolaos G., 2018. "Financial stability, competitiveness and banks' innovation capacity: Evidence from the Global Financial Crisis," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 59(C), pages 35-46.
- Muhammad Suhail Rizwan & Muhammad Moinuddin & Barbara L’Huillier & Dawood Ashraf, 2018. "Does a one-size-fits-all approach to financial regulations alleviate default risk? The case of dual banking systems," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 53(1), pages 37-74, February.
- Shoaib Nisar & Ke Peng & Susheng Wang & Badar Nadeem Ashraf, 2018. "The Impact of Revenue Diversification on Bank Profitability and Stability: Empirical Evidence from South Asian Countries," International Journal of Financial Studies, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 6(2), pages 1-25, April.
- Guerry, Nicolas & Wallmeier, Martin, 2017. "Valuation of diversified banks: New evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 80(C), pages 203-214.
More about this item
KeywordsNet interest income; Noninterest income; Income diversification; Bank risk;
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:empfin:v:24:y:2013:i:c:p:151-165. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Haili He). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jempfin .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.