The profitability and risk effects of allowing bank holding companies to merge with other financial firms: a simulation study
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Mehra, Rajnish & Prescott, Edward C., 1985. "The equity premium: A puzzle," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 145-161, March.
- Chase, Samuel B, Jr & Mingo, John J, 1975. "The Regulation of Bank Holding Companies," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 30(2), pages 281-292, May.
- Buser, Stephen A & Chen, Andrew H & Kane, Edward J, 1981. "Federal Deposit Insurance, Regulatory Policy, and Optimal Bank Capital," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 36(1), pages 51-60, March.
- Banz, Rolf W & Breen, William J, 1986. "Sample-Dependent Results Using Accounting and Market Data: Some Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 41(4), pages 779-793, September.
- William F. Sharpe, 1977. "Bank Capital Adequacy, Deposit Insurance and Security Values, Part I," NBER Working Papers 0209, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Larry D. Wall, 1986. "Nonbank activities and risk," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Oct, pages 19-34.
- Kareken, John H & Wallace, Neil, 1978.
"Deposit Insurance and Bank Regulation: A Partial-Equilibrium Exposition,"
The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 51(3), pages 413-438, July.
- John H. Kareken & Neil Wallace, 1977. "Deposit insurance and bank regulation: a partial equilibrium exposition," Staff Report 16, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Merton, Robert C., 1977. "An analytic derivation of the cost of deposit insurance and loan guarantees An application of modern option pricing theory," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 3-11, June.
- Gregory E. Boczar & Stephen A. Rhoades, 1977. "The performance of bank holding company-affiliated finance companies," Staff Studies 90, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- John H. Boyd & Stanley L. Graham, 1986. "Risk, regulation, and bank holding company expansion into nonbanking," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, vol. 10(Spr), pages 2-17.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli, 1992. "Creditor country regulations and commercial bank lending to developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 917, The World Bank.
- Linda M. Hooks & Kenneth J. Robinson, 1996. "Moral hazard and Texas banking in the 1920s," Financial Industry Studies Working Paper 96-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Richard W. Kopcke, 2000. "Deposit insurance, capital requirements, and financial stability," Working Papers 00-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Xiaozhong Liang, 2005. "The Behavior of Banks under the Deposit Insurance and Capital Requirements," Computing in Economics and Finance 2005 407, Society for Computational Economics.
- Ernest Dautovic, 2019.
"Has Regulatory Capital Made Banks Safer? Skin in the Game vs Moral Hazard,"
Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'économie
19.03, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, Département d’économie.
- Dautović, Ernest, 2020. "Has regulatory capital made banks safer? Skin in the game vs moral hazard," Working Paper Series 2449, European Central Bank.
- Dautović, Ernest, 2019. "Has regulatory capital made banks safer? Skin in the game vs moral hazard," ESRB Working Paper Series 91, European Systemic Risk Board.
- Burnside, Craig & Eichenbaum, Martin & Rebelo, Sergio, 2001.
"Hedging and financial fragility in fixed exchange rate regimes,"
European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(7), pages 1151-1193.
- Burnside, Craig & Eichenbaum, Martin & Rebelo, Sérgio, 1999. "Hedging and Financial Fragility in Fixed Exchange Rate Regimes," CEPR Discussion Papers 2171, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Craig Burnside & Martin Eichenbaum & Sergio Rebelo, 1999. "Hedging and Financial Fragility in Fixed Exchange Rate Regimes," NBER Working Papers 7143, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Craig Burnside & Martin S. Eichenbaum & Sergio Rebelo, 1999. "Hedging and financial fragility in fixed exchange rate regimes," Working Paper Series WP-99-11, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Yair E. Orgler & Robert A. Taggart, Jr., 1981. "Implications of Corporate Capital Structure Theory for Banking Institutions," NBER Working Papers 0737, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ivilina Popova & Peter H. Ritchken & James B. Thompson, 1995. "The changing role of banks and the changing value of deposit guarantees," Working Papers (Old Series) 9502, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Georges Dionne, 2003.
"The Foundationsof Banks' Risk Regulation: A Review of Literature,"
THEMA Working Papers
2003-46, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Georges Dionne, 2003. "The Foundations of Banks' Risk Regulation: a Review of the Literature," Cahiers de recherche 0346, CIRPEE.
- Diwan, Ishac & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli, 1990. "The menu approach to developing country external debt : an analysis of commercial banks'choice behavior," Policy Research Working Paper Series 530, The World Bank.
- Stolz, Stéphanie, 2002. "The Relationship between Bank Capital, Risk-Taking, and Capital Regulation: A Review of the Literature," Kiel Working Papers 1105, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Alina Mihaela Dima & Simona Vasilache, 2016. "Credit Risk modeling for Companies Default Prediction using Neural Networks," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(3), pages 127-143, September.
- Boyd, John H., 1999. "Expansion of commercial banking powers ... or, universal banking is the cart, not the horse," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(2-4), pages 655-662, February.
- Gary Gorton & Andrew Winton, "undated". "Bank Capital Regulation in General Equilibrium," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 17-95, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- J. Huston McCulloch, 1978.
"Interest Rate Risk and Capital Adequacy For Traditional Banks and Financial Intermediaries,"
NBER Working Papers
0237, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- J. Huston McCulloch, 1978. "Interest Rate Risk and Capital Adequacy for Traditional Banks and Financial Intermediaries," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 86, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Fegatelli, Paolo, 2010. "The misconception of the option value of deposit insurance and the efficacy of non-risk-based capital requirements in the literature on bank capital regulation," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 79-84, June.
- Lim, Terence & Lo, Andrew W. & Merton, Robert C. & Scholes, Myron S., 2006. "The Derivatives Sourcebook," Foundations and Trends(R) in Finance, now publishers, vol. 1(5–6), pages 365-572, April.
- Stephen F. LeRoy & Rish Singhania, 2020. "Deposit insurance and the coexistence of commercial and shadow banks," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 159-194, June.
- Freixas, Xavier & Gabillon, Emmanuelle, 1999.
"Optimal Regulation of a Fully Insured Deposit Banking System,"
Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 111-134, September.
- Xavier Freixas & Emmanuelle Gabillon, 1996. "Optimal regulation of a fully insured deposit banking system," Economics Working Papers 175, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Freixas, X. & Gabillon, E., 1998. "Optimal Regulation of a Fully Insured Deposit Banking System," Papers 98.506, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
More about this item
KeywordsBank mergers; Bank holding companies; Nonbank activities;
All these keywords.
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedmqr:y:1988:i:spr:p:3-20:n:v.12no.2. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/cfrbmus.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/cfrbmus.html .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.