Impact of R&D Investment on Economic Growth of the Czech Republic - A Recursively Dynamic CGE Approach
The paper investigates how results obtained with standard CGE models can be improved by incorporating the effects of R&D activity in a recursively-dynamic CGE model built for the economy of the Czech Republic. The main objective of the paper is to quantify the impact of R&D activity on the long-term economic growth of the Czech Republic within the recursively dynamic CGE framework. The effect of R&D investment is modelled via the accumulation of knowledge that is treated as a specific production factor. The main findings show that knowledge accumulation can contribute to higher economic growth, but the impact of the dynamisation in the CGE model is very low. However, in terms of structural changes in the economy, the omission of knowledge capitalization might underestimate the tertiary sector in the longer run. The paper also investigates the efficiency of R&D investment and concludes that in the longer run, investment in capital goods is more efficient in achieving higher economic growth. In the concluding chapter, related factors that may improve the impact of knowledge in the CGE model are discussed.
Volume (Year): 2012 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: nam. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Praha 3|
Phone: (02) 24 09 51 11
Fax: (02) 24 22 06 57
Web page: http://www.vse.cz/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Editorial office Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, nám. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Praha 3, Czech Republic|
Web: http://www.vse.cz/pep/ Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Romer, Paul M, 1990.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages S71-102, October.
- Gillingham, Kenneth & Newell, Richard G. & Pizer, William A., 2008.
"Modeling endogenous technological change for climate policy analysis,"
Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 2734-2753, November.
- Gillingham, Kenneth T. & Newell, Richard G. & Pizer, William A., 2007. "Modeling Endogenous Technological Change for Climate Policy Analysis," Discussion Papers dp-07-14, Resources For the Future.
- Diao, Xinshen & Roe, Terry & Yeldan, Erinc, 1999.
"Strategic policies and growth: an applied model of R&D-driven endogenous growth,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 343-380, December.
- Xinshen Diao & Terry Roe & Erinc Yeldan, 1998. "Strategic Policies and Growth : An Applied Model of R&D-Driven Endogenous Growth," Working Papers 9801, Department of Economics, Bilkent University.
- Wang, Ke & Wang, Can & Chen, Jining, 2009. "Analysis of the economic impact of different Chinese climate policy options based on a CGE model incorporating endogenous technological change," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 2930-2940, August.
- G. Garau & P. Lecca, 2008. "Impact Analysis of Regional Knowledge Subsidy: a CGE Approach," Working Paper CRENoS 200811, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Michal Kejak & David Vavra, 2004. "Factor Accumulation Story: Any Unfinished Business?," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp220, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economics Institute, Prague.
- Michal Kejak & Stephan Seiter & David Vavra, 2004.
"Accession Trajectories and Convergence: Endogenous Growth Perspective,"
CERGE-EI Working Papers
wp219, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economics Institute, Prague.
- Kejak, Michal & Seiter, Stephan & Vavra, David, 2004. "Accession trajectories and convergence: endogenous growth perspective," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 13-46, March.
- Fernando Galindo-Rueda, 2007. "Developing an R&D satellite account for the UK: a preliminary analysis," Economic and Labour Market Review, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 1(12), pages 18-29, December.
- Kamil Dybczak & David Vonka & Nico van der Windt, 2008. "The Effect of Oil Price Shocks on the Czech Economy," Working Papers 2008/5, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Arjan Lejour & Hugo Rojas-Romagosa, 2008. "International spillovers of domestic reforms: the joint application of the Lisbon Strategy in the EU," CPB Discussion Paper 105, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Siddiqi, Yusuf & Salem, Meir, 2006. "A Proposal for Treating Research and Development As Capital Expenditures in the Canadian SNA," Economic Analysis (EA) Research Paper Series 2006040e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:prg:jnlpep:v:2012:y:2012:i:4:id:432:p:412-433. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Frantisek Sokolovsky)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.