Options for Setting Up An Effective EU Rural Development Policy
This paper presents an analysis of the available options for an effective EU rural development policy. A classification of the methods used to determine an optimal rural development policy can be viewed as the specific aim of the paper. This aim is achieved by discussing theoretical-methodological approaches to rural development, an analysis of the current situation in EU rural areas, including appropriate economic tools, and a partial analysis of existing methods for defining the optimal status in the rural areas. The paper also stresses the main economic determinants influencing conditions in EU rural areas. The authors point out a disproportion between agricultural subsidies and their utilisation in the actual development of the rural areas. Moreover, the definition of the target group of the CAP seems to be essential. The final part of the paper discusses the most significant approaches defining the optimal status in EU rural areas together with their risks and opportunities in respect of an effective rural development policy.
Volume (Year): 2009 (2009)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (02) 24 09 51 11
Fax: (02) 24 22 06 57
Web page: http://www.vse.cz/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Redakce Acta Informatica Pragensia, Katedra systémové analýzy, Vysoká škola ekonomická v Praze, nám. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Praha 3|
Web: http://www.vse.cz/aip/ Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wilkin, Jerzy, 2003. "The future of EU agricultural and rural policy from the perspective of CEE candidate countries," Studies in Spatial Development: Chapters, in: Policy vision for sustainable rural economies in an enlarged Europe, pages 135-152 Akademie für Raumforschung und Landesplanung (ARL) - Leibniz-Forum für Raumwissenschaften.
- Niskanen, Anssi & Lin, Chijien, 2001. "Regional similarities of forest resources and socio-economic structures in the EU member states," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1-2), pages 55-67, September.
- Yves Léon, 2005. "Rural development in Europe: a research frontier for agricultural economists," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 32(3), pages 301-317, September.
- Janet Dwyer & Neil Ward & Philip Lowe & David Baldock, 2007. "European Rural Development under the Common Agricultural Policy's 'Second Pillar': Institutional Conservatism and Innovation," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(7), pages 873-888.
- Robert Macfarlane, 1998. "Implementing Agri-environment Policy: A Landscape Ecology Perspective," Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(5), pages 575-596.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:prg:jnlaop:v:2009:y:2009:i:5:id:283:p:53-69. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vaclav Subrta)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.