Performances of socially responsible investment and environmentally friendly funds
The socially responsible investment (SRI) funds performances remain inconclusive. Hence, more studies need to be conducted to determine if SRI funds systematically underperform or outperform conventional funds. This paper has employed dynamic mean-variance model using shortage function approach to evaluate the performance of SRI and Environmentally friendly funds (EF). Unlike the traditional methods, this approach estimates fund performance considering both the return and risk at the same time. The empirical results show that SRI funds outperformed conventional funds in EU and US. In addition, the results of EU are among the top-performing categories. EF do not perform as well as SRI, but perform in manners equal or superior to conventional funds. These results show statistically significant in some cases.
Volume (Year): 64 (2013)
Issue (Month): 11 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/|
Web page: http://www.theorsociety.com/
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/business+%26+management/operations+research/journal/41274|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Basso, Antonella & Funari, Stefania, 2001. "A data envelopment analysis approach to measure the mutual fund performance," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 135(3), pages 477-492, December.
- Luenberger, David G., 1992. "Benefit functions and duality," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 461-481.
- Greg Gregoriou & Yao Chen, 2006. "Evaluation of Commodity Trading Advisors using fixed and variable and benchmark models," Annals of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 145(1), pages 183-200, July.
- Briec, Walter & Kerstens, Kristiaan, 2009.
"Multi-horizon Markowitz portfolio performance appraisals: A general approach,"
Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 50-62, February.
- K. Kerstens, 2006. "Multi-Horizon Markowitz Porfolio Performance Appraisals : A General approach," Post-Print hal-00288784, HAL.
- W. Briec & K. Kerstens, 2009. "Multi-horizon markowitz portfolio performance appraisals : a general approach," Post-Print hal-00288174, HAL.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/3187 is not listed on IDEAS
- Forsund, Finn R. & Sarafoglou, Nikias, 2005. "The tale of two research communities: The diffusion of research on productive efficiency," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 17-40, October.
- Førsund, Finn R. & Sarafoglou, Nikias, 2003. "The Tale of two Research Communities: The Diffusion of Research on Productive Efficiency," Memorandum 08/2003, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Finn R. Førsund & Nikias Sarafoglou, 2005. "The Tale of Two research Communities: The Diffusion of Research on Productive Efficiency," Department of Economics University of Siena 446, Department of Economics, University of Siena.
- Bauer, Rob & Otten, Roger & Rad, Alireza Tourani, 2006. "Ethical investing in Australia: Is there a financial penalty?," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 33-48, January.
- Capelle-Blancard, Gunther & Laguna, Marie-Aude, 2010. "How does the stock market respond to chemical disasters?," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 192-205, March.
- Marie-Aude Laguna & Gunther Capelle-Blancard, 2010. "How Does the Stock Market Respond to Chemical Disasters?," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00637961, HAL.
- William F. Sharpe, 1964. "Capital Asset Prices: A Theory Of Market Equilibrium Under Conditions Of Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 19(3), pages 425-442, 09.
- Bauer, Rob & Koedijk, Kees & Otten, Roger, 2005. "International evidence on ethical mutual fund performance and investment style," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(7), pages 1751-1767, July.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00637961 is not listed on IDEAS
- Shunsuke Managi & Tatsuyoshi Okimoto & Akimi Matsuda, 2012. "Do socially responsible investment indexes outperform conventional indexes?," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(18), pages 1511-1527, September.
- Managi, Shunsuke & Okimoto, Tatsuyoshi & Matsuda, Akimi, 2012. "Do Socially Responsible Investment Indexes Outperform Conventional Indexes?," MPRA Paper 36662, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ruiyue Lin & Zhiping Chen, 2008. "New Dea Performance Evaluation Indices And Their Applications In The American Fund Market," Asia-Pacific Journal of Operational Research (APJOR), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 25(04), pages 421-450.
- Seiford, Lawrence M. & Thrall, Robert M., 1990. "Recent developments in DEA : The mathematical programming approach to frontier analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 7-38.
- Carhart, Mark M, 1997. " On Persistence in Mutual Fund Performance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(1), pages 57-82, March.
- Renneboog, Luc & Ter Horst, Jenke & Zhang, Chendi, 2008. "The price of ethics and stakeholder governance: The performance of socially responsible mutual funds," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 302-322, June.
- Galema, Rients & Plantinga, Auke & Scholtens, Bert, 2008. "The stocks at stake: Return and risk in socially responsible investment," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(12), pages 2646-2654, December.
- Alexander Kempf & Peer Osthoff, 2007. "The Effect of Socially Responsible Investing on Portfolio Performance," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 13(5), pages 908-922.
- Daraio, Cinzia & Simar, Leopold, 2006. "A robust nonparametric approach to evaluate and explain the performance of mutual funds," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 175(1), pages 516-542, November.
- Rob Bauer & Jeroen Derwall & RogÃ©r Otten, 2007. "The Ethical Mutual Fund Performance Debate: New Evidence from Canada," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 70(2), pages 111-124, January.
- Chi-Sheng Hsu & Jwu-Rong Lin, 2007. "Mutual Fund Performance and Persistence in Taiwan: A Non-Parametric Approach," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(5), pages 509-523, July.
- Alan Gregory & John Matatko & Robert Luther, 1997. "Ethical Unit Trust Financial Performance: Small Company Effects and Fund Size Effects," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(5), pages 705-725.
- Zakri Y. Bello, 2005. "Socially Responsible Investing And Portfolio Diversification," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 28(1), pages 41-57.
- Morey, Matthew R. & Morey, Richard C., 1999. "Mutual fund performance appraisals: a multi-horizon perspective with endogenous benchmarking," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 241-258, April.
- Renneboog, Luc & Ter Horst, Jenke & Zhang, Chendi, 2008. "Socially responsible investments: Institutional aspects, performance, and investor behavior," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1723-1742, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)