Performances of socially responsible investment and environmentally friendly funds
The socially responsible investment (SRI) funds performances remain inconclusive. Hence, more studies need to be conducted to determine if SRI funds systematically underperform or outperform conventional funds. This paper has employed dynamic mean-variance model using shortage function approach to evaluate the performance of SRI and Environmentally friendly funds (EF). Unlike the traditional methods, this approach estimates fund performance considering both the return and risk at the same time. The empirical results show that SRI funds outperformed conventional funds in EU and US. In addition, the results of EU are among the top-performing categories. EF do not perform as well as SRI, but perform in manners equal or superior to conventional funds. These results show statistically significant in some cases.
Volume (Year): 64 (2013)
Issue (Month): 11 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK|
Web: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/pal/subscribe/index.html Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- K. Kerstens, 2006.
"Multi-Horizon Markowitz Porfolio Performance Appraisals : A General approach,"
- Briec, Walter & Kerstens, Kristiaan, 2009. "Multi-horizon Markowitz portfolio performance appraisals: A general approach," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 50-62, February.
- W. Briec & K. Kerstens, 2009. "Multi-horizon markowitz portfolio performance appraisals : a general approach," Post-Print hal-00288174, HAL.
- Basso, Antonella & Funari, Stefania, 2001. "A data envelopment analysis approach to measure the mutual fund performance," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 135(3), pages 477-492, December.
- Rob Bauer & Jeroen Derwall & RogÃ©r Otten, 2007. "The Ethical Mutual Fund Performance Debate: New Evidence from Canada," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 70(2), pages 111-124, January.
- Daraio, Cinzia & Simar, Leopold, 2006. "A robust nonparametric approach to evaluate and explain the performance of mutual funds," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 175(1), pages 516-542, November.
- Alexander Kempf & Peer Osthoff, 2007. "The Effect of Socially Responsible Investing on Portfolio Performance," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 13(5), pages 908-922.
- Capelle-Blancard, Gunther & Laguna, Marie-Aude, 2010.
"How does the stock market respond to chemical disasters?,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 192-205, March.
- Marie-Aude Laguna & Gunther Capelle-Blancard, 2010. "How Does the Stock Market Respond to Chemical Disasters?," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00637961, HAL.
- Capelle-Blancard, Gunther & Laguna, Marie-Aude, 2010. "How does the stock market respond to chemical disasters?," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/3187, Paris Dauphine University.
- Luenberger, David G., 1992. "Benefit functions and duality," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 461-481.
- Zakri Y. Bello, 2005. "Socially Responsible Investing And Portfolio Diversification," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 28(1), pages 41-57.
- Forsund, Finn R. & Sarafoglou, Nikias, 2005.
"The tale of two research communities: The diffusion of research on productive efficiency,"
International Journal of Production Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 17-40, October.
- Finn R. Førsund & Nikias Sarafoglou, 2005. "The Tale of Two research Communities: The Diffusion of Research on Productive Efficiency," Department of Economics University of Siena 446, Department of Economics, University of Siena.
- Førsund, Finn R. & Sarafoglou, Nikias, 2003. "The Tale of two Research Communities: The Diffusion of Research on Productive Efficiency," Memorandum 08/2003, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Shunsuke Managi & Tatsuyoshi Okimoto & Akimi Matsuda, 2012.
"Do socially responsible investment indexes outperform conventional indexes?,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(18), pages 1511-1527, September.
- Managi, Shunsuke & Okimoto, Tatsuyoshi & Matsuda, Akimi, 2012. "Do Socially Responsible Investment Indexes Outperform Conventional Indexes?," MPRA Paper 36662, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ruiyue Lin & Zhiping Chen, 2008. "New Dea Performance Evaluation Indices And Their Applications In The American Fund Market," Asia-Pacific Journal of Operational Research (APJOR), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 25(04), pages 421-450.
- Seiford, Lawrence M. & Thrall, Robert M., 1990. "Recent developments in DEA : The mathematical programming approach to frontier analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 7-38.
- Renneboog, Luc & Ter Horst, Jenke & Zhang, Chendi, 2008. "The price of ethics and stakeholder governance: The performance of socially responsible mutual funds," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 302-322, June.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00637961 is not listed on IDEAS
- Chi-Sheng Hsu & Jwu-Rong Lin, 2007. "Mutual Fund Performance and Persistence in Taiwan: A Non-Parametric Approach," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(5), pages 509-523, July.
- Galema, Rients & Plantinga, Auke & Scholtens, Bert, 2008. "The stocks at stake: Return and risk in socially responsible investment," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(12), pages 2646-2654, December.
- Bauer, Rob & Otten, Roger & Rad, Alireza Tourani, 2006. "Ethical investing in Australia: Is there a financial penalty?," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 33-48, January.
- William F. Sharpe, 1964. "Capital Asset Prices: A Theory Of Market Equilibrium Under Conditions Of Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 19(3), pages 425-442, 09.
- Renneboog, Luc & Ter Horst, Jenke & Zhang, Chendi, 2008. "Socially responsible investments: Institutional aspects, performance, and investor behavior," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1723-1742, September.
- Bauer, Rob & Koedijk, Kees & Otten, Roger, 2005. "International evidence on ethical mutual fund performance and investment style," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(7), pages 1751-1767, July.
- Carhart, Mark M, 1997. " On Persistence in Mutual Fund Performance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(1), pages 57-82, March.
- Morey, Matthew R. & Morey, Richard C., 1999. "Mutual fund performance appraisals: a multi-horizon perspective with endogenous benchmarking," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 241-258, April.
- Alan Gregory & John Matatko & Robert Luther, 1997. "Ethical Unit Trust Financial Performance: Small Company Effects and Fund Size Effects," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(5), pages 705-725.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pal:jorsoc:v:64:y:2013:i:11:p:1583-1594. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Iulia Badea)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.