Performances of socially responsible investment and environmentally friendly funds
The socially responsible investment (SRI) funds performances remain inconclusive. Hence, more studies need to be conducted to determine if SRI funds systematically underperform or outperform conventional funds. This paper has employed dynamic mean-variance model using shortage function approach to evaluate the performance of SRI and Environmentally friendly funds (EF). Unlike the traditional methods, this approach estimates fund performance considering both the return and risk at the same time. The empirical results show that SRI funds outperformed conventional funds in EU and US. In addition, the results of EU are among the top-performing categories. EF do not perform as well as SRI, but perform in manners equal or superior to conventional funds. These results show statistically significant in some cases.
Volume (Year): 64 (2013)
Issue (Month): 11 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK|
Web: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/pal/subscribe/index.html Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carhart, Mark M, 1997. " On Persistence in Mutual Fund Performance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(1), pages 57-82, March.
- Basso, Antonella & Funari, Stefania, 2001. "A data envelopment analysis approach to measure the mutual fund performance," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 135(3), pages 477-492, December.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/3187 is not listed on IDEAS
- Marie-Aude Laguna & Gunther Capelle-Blancard, 2010.
"How Does the Stock Market Respond to Chemical Disasters?,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Capelle-Blancard, Gunther & Laguna, Marie-Aude, 2010. "How does the stock market respond to chemical disasters?," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 192-205, March.
- Førsund, Finn R. & Sarafoglou, Nikias, 2003.
"The Tale of two Research Communities: The Diffusion of Research on Productive Efficiency,"
08/2003, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Forsund, Finn R. & Sarafoglou, Nikias, 2005. "The tale of two research communities: The diffusion of research on productive efficiency," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 17-40, October.
- Finn R. Førsund & Nikias Sarafoglou, 2005. "The Tale of Two research Communities: The Diffusion of Research on Productive Efficiency," Department of Economics University of Siena 446, Department of Economics, University of Siena.
- Greg Gregoriou & Yao Chen, 2006. "Evaluation of Commodity Trading Advisors using fixed and variable and benchmark models," Annals of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 145(1), pages 183-200, July.
- Seiford, Lawrence M. & Thrall, Robert M., 1990. "Recent developments in DEA : The mathematical programming approach to frontier analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 7-38.
- Morey, Matthew R. & Morey, Richard C., 1999. "Mutual fund performance appraisals: a multi-horizon perspective with endogenous benchmarking," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 241-258, April.
- Chi-Sheng Hsu & Jwu-Rong Lin, 2007. "Mutual Fund Performance and Persistence in Taiwan: A Non-Parametric Approach," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(5), pages 509-523, July.
- Ruiyue Lin & Zhiping Chen, 2008. "New Dea Performance Evaluation Indices And Their Applications In The American Fund Market," Asia-Pacific Journal of Operational Research (APJOR), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 25(04), pages 421-450.
- Daraio, Cinzia & Simar, Leopold, 2006. "A robust nonparametric approach to evaluate and explain the performance of mutual funds," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 175(1), pages 516-542, November.
- Renneboog, Luc & Ter Horst, Jenke & Zhang, Chendi, 2008. "The price of ethics and stakeholder governance: The performance of socially responsible mutual funds," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 302-322, June.
- Bauer, Rob & Koedijk, Kees & Otten, Roger, 2005. "International evidence on ethical mutual fund performance and investment style," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(7), pages 1751-1767, July.
- Rob Bauer & Jeroen Derwall & RogÃ©r Otten, 2007. "The Ethical Mutual Fund Performance Debate: New Evidence from Canada," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 70(2), pages 111-124, January.
- Renneboog, Luc & Ter Horst, Jenke & Zhang, Chendi, 2008. "Socially responsible investments: Institutional aspects, performance, and investor behavior," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1723-1742, September.
- Luenberger, David G., 1992. "Benefit functions and duality," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 461-481.
- Managi, Shunsuke & Okimoto, Tatsuyoshi & Matsuda, Akimi, 2012.
"Do Socially Responsible Investment Indexes Outperform Conventional Indexes?,"
36662, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Shunsuke Managi & Tatsuyoshi Okimoto & Akimi Matsuda, 2012. "Do socially responsible investment indexes outperform conventional indexes?," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(18), pages 1511-1527, September.
- Zakri Y. Bello, 2005. "Socially Responsible Investing And Portfolio Diversification," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 28(1), pages 41-57.
- Alan Gregory & John Matatko & Robert Luther, 1997. "Ethical Unit Trust Financial Performance: Small Company Effects and Fund Size Effects," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(5), pages 705-725.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00637961 is not listed on IDEAS
- Alexander Kempf & Peer Osthoff, 2007. "The Effect of Socially Responsible Investing on Portfolio Performance," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 13(5), pages 908-922.
- Galema, Rients & Plantinga, Auke & Scholtens, Bert, 2008. "The stocks at stake: Return and risk in socially responsible investment," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(12), pages 2646-2654, December.
- Bauer, Rob & Otten, Roger & Rad, Alireza Tourani, 2006. "Ethical investing in Australia: Is there a financial penalty?," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 33-48, January.
- W. Briec & K. Kerstens, 2009.
"Multi-horizon markowitz portfolio performance appraisals : a general approach,"
- Briec, Walter & Kerstens, Kristiaan, 2009. "Multi-horizon Markowitz portfolio performance appraisals: A general approach," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 50-62, February.
- K. Kerstens, 2006. "Multi-Horizon Markowitz Porfolio Performance Appraisals : A General approach," Post-Print hal-00288784, HAL.
- William F. Sharpe, 1964. "Capital Asset Prices: A Theory Of Market Equilibrium Under Conditions Of Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 19(3), pages 425-442, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pal:jorsoc:v:64:y:2013:i:11:p:1583-1594. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Iulia Badea)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.