Constant and variable returns to scale DEA models for socially responsible investment funds
In order to evaluate the performance of socially responsible investment (SRI) funds, we propose some models which use data envelopment analysis and can be computed in all phases of the business cycle. These models focus on the most crucial elements of an investment in mutual funds. In the literature both constant and variable returns to scale DEA models have been used to evaluate the performance of mutual funds. An empirical investigation carried out on European SRI equity funds indicates that for the funds analyzed the returns to scale are constant. Another aspect taken into account by the empirical investigation is the measurement of the degree of social responsibility of SRI equity funds in the various European countries. In addition, we have analyzed the performance of the funds considered with the different DEA models proposed, which differ in the way the ethical objective is taken into account. Moreover, the paper focuses on another crucial issue regarding socially responsible investing: the comparison of the performances between SRI and non SRI funds; the empirical study suggests that the ethical objective can be pursued without having to renounce financial rewards.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.unive.it/dip.economia
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- N. Kreander & R.H. Gray & D.M. Power & C.D. Sinclair, 2005. "Evaluating the Performance of Ethical and Non-ethical Funds: A Matched Pair Analysis," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(7-8), pages 1465-1493.
- Yoon K. Choi & B.P.S. Murthi, 2001. "Relative Performance Evaluation of Mutual Funds: A Non-Parametric Approach," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(7&8), pages 853-876.
- Bauer, Rob & Otten, Roger & Rad, Alireza Tourani, 2006. "Ethical investing in Australia: Is there a financial penalty?," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 33-48, January.
- Zakri Y. Bello, 2005. "Socially Responsible Investing And Portfolio Diversification," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 28(1), pages 41-57.
- Kristiaan Kerstens & Ignace Van de Woestyne, 2009.
"Negative Data in DEA: A Simple Proportional Distance Function Approach,"
2009-ECO-03, IESEG School of Management.
- Kerstens, Kristiaan & Van de Woestyne, Ignace, 2009. "Negative Data in DEA: A Simple Proportional Distance Function Approach," Working Papers 2009/04, Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management.
- Murthi, B. P. S. & Choi, Yoon K. & Desai, Preyas, 1997. "Efficiency of mutual funds and portfolio performance measurement: A non-parametric approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 408-418, April.
- C. Edward Chang & H. Doug Witte, 2010. "Performance Evaluation of U.S. Socially Responsible Mutual Funds: Revisiting Doing Good and Doing Well," American Journal of Business, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 25(1), pages 9-21.
- Bauer, Rob & Koedijk, Kees & Otten, Roger, 2005. "International evidence on ethical mutual fund performance and investment style," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(7), pages 1751-1767, July.
- Morey, Matthew R. & Morey, Richard C., 1999. "Mutual fund performance appraisals: a multi-horizon perspective with endogenous benchmarking," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 241-258, April.
- Banker, Rajiv D. & Zheng, Zhiqiang (Eric) & Natarajan, Ram, 2010. "DEA-based hypothesis tests for comparing two groups of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 206(1), pages 231-238, October.
- Rob Bauer & Jeroen Derwall & RogÃ©r Otten, 2007. "The Ethical Mutual Fund Performance Debate: New Evidence from Canada," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 70(2), pages 111-124, January.
- Kerstens, Kristiaan & Mounir, Amine & Van de Woestyne, Ignace, 2010.
"Non-Parametric Frontier Estimates of Mutual Fund Performance Using C- and L-Moments: Some Specification Tests,"
2010/10, Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management.
- Kerstens, Kristiaan & Mounir, Amine & de Woestyne, Ignace Van, 2011. "Non-parametric frontier estimates of mutual fund performance using C- and L-moments: Some specification tests," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 1190-1201, May.
- Bastien Drut, 2010.
"Sovereign Bonds and Socially Responsible Investment,"
Journal of Business Ethics,
Springer, vol. 92(1), pages 131-145, April.
- Bastien Drut, 2009. "Sovereign Bonds and Socially Responsible Investment," Working Papers CEB 09-014.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Bastien Drut, 2009. "Sovereign Bonds and Socially Responsible Investment," EconomiX Working Papers 2009-17, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Glawischnig, Markus & Sommersguter-Reichmann, Margit, 2010. "Assessing the performance of alternative investments using non-parametric efficiency measurement approaches: Is it convincing?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 295-303, February.
- Basso, Antonella & Funari, Stefania, 2001. "A data envelopment analysis approach to measure the mutual fund performance," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 135(3), pages 477-492, December.
- Angeles Fernandez-Izquierdo & Juan Matallin-Saez, 2008. "Performance of Ethical Mutual Funds in Spain: Sacrifice or Premium?," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 81(2), pages 247-260, August.
- Kempf, Alexander & Osthoff, Peer, 2007. "The effect of socially responsible investing on portfolio performance," CFR Working Papers 06-10, University of Cologne, Centre for Financial Research (CFR).
- Lovell, C. A. Knox & Pastor, Jesus T., 1999. "Radial DEA models without inputs or without outputs," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 118(1), pages 46-51, October.
- Alexander Kempf & Peer Osthoff, 2007. "The Effect of Socially Responsible Investing on Portfolio Performance," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 13(5), pages 908-922.
- Renneboog, Luc & Ter Horst, Jenke & Zhang, Chendi, 2008. "Socially responsible investments: Institutional aspects, performance, and investor behavior," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1723-1742, September.
- Lamb, John D. & Tee, Kai-Hong, 2012. "Data envelopment analysis models of investment funds," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 216(3), pages 687-696.
- Emrouznejad, Ali & Anouze, Abdel Latef & Thanassoulis, Emmanuel, 2010. "A semi-oriented radial measure for measuring the efficiency of decision making units with negative data, using DEA," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 200(1), pages 297-304, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ven:wpaper:2012_20. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Geraldine Ludbrook)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.