The Influence of Primary Study Characteristics on the Performance Differential Between Socially Responsible and Conventional Investment Funds: A Meta-Analysis
Empirical studies, which analyze the performance of socially responsible investment (SRI) funds relative to conventional funds, find contradictory results. The aim of this paper is to investigate, with the help of a meta-analysis, how selected primary study characteristics influence the probability of a significant under- or outperformance of SRI funds compared with conventional funds. 25 studies with more than 500 observations are included in the meta-analysis. The results of this paper suggest that the consideration of the survivorship bias in a study increases (decreases) the probability of a significant outperformance (underperformance) of SRI funds relative to conventional funds. The focus on United States (US) SRI funds increases (decreases) the probability of a significant outperformance (underperformance) too. The time period influences the probability of a significant under- and outperformance of SRI funds as well, but based on the results of this paper, it is not possible to draw general conclusions on this variable. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media Dordrecht 2013
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael C. Jensen, 1968. "The Performance Of Mutual Funds In The Period 1945–1964," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 23(2), pages 389-416, 05.
- Alan Gregory & John Matatko & Robert Luther, 1997. "Ethical Unit Trust Financial Performance: Small Company Effects and Fund Size Effects," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(5), pages 705-725.
- Renneboog, Luc & Ter Horst, Jenke & Zhang, Chendi, 2008. "Socially responsible investments: Institutional aspects, performance, and investor behavior," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1723-1742, September.
- Louche, C. & Lydenberg, Steven, 2006. "Socially responsible investment: differences between Europe and United States," Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School Working Paper Series 2006-22, Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School.
- Alexander Kempf & Peer Osthoff, 2008. "SRI Funds: Nomen est Omen," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(9-10), pages 1276-1294.
- Andrea Chegut & Hans Schenk & Bert Scholtens, 2011. "Assessing SRI fund performance research: Best practices in empirical analysis," Sustainable Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(2), pages 77-94, March/Apr.
- Bauer, Rob & Otten, Roger & Rad, Alireza Tourani, 2006. "Ethical investing in Australia: Is there a financial penalty?," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 33-48, January.
- Renneboog, Luc & Ter Horst, Jenke & Zhang, Chendi, 2008. "The price of ethics and stakeholder governance: The performance of socially responsible mutual funds," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 302-322, June.
- Zakri Y. Bello, 2005. "Socially Responsible Investing And Portfolio Diversification," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 28(1), pages 41-57.
- Van Liedekerke, Luc & De Moor, Lieven & Vanwalleghem, Dieter, 2007.
"Risk-return of Belgian SRI funds,"
2007/04, Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management.
- Elias Bengtsson, 2008. "A History of Scandinavian Socially Responsible Investing," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 82(4), pages 969-983, November.
- Jeroen Derwall & Kees Koedijk, 2009. "Socially Responsible Fixed-Income Funds," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(1-2), pages 210-229.
- Gunther Capelle-Blancard & Stéphanie Monjon, 2011.
"The Performance of Socially Responsible Funds: Does the Screening Process Matter?,"
2011-12, CEPII research center.
- Gunther Capelle-Blancard & Stephanie Monjon, 2014. "The Performance of Socially Responsible Funds: Does the Screening Process Matter?," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00802363, HAL.
- Javier Gil-Bazo & Pablo Ruiz-Verdú & André Santos, 2010.
"The Performance of Socially Responsible Mutual Funds: The Role of Fees and Management Companies,"
Journal of Business Ethics,
Springer, vol. 94(2), pages 243-263, June.
- Santos, André A. P. & Ruiz-Verdú, Pablo & Gil-Bazo, Javier, 2008. "The performance of socially responsible mutual funds: the role of fees and management companies," DEE - Working Papers. Business Economics. WB wb083409, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía de la Empresa.
- Rob Bauer & Jeroen Derwall & RogÃ©r Otten, 2007. "The Ethical Mutual Fund Performance Debate: New Evidence from Canada," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 70(2), pages 111-124, January.
- Karen Benson & Timothy Brailsford & Jacquelyn Humphrey, 2006. "Do Socially Responsible Fund Managers Really Invest Differently?," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 65(4), pages 337-357, 06.
- Brown, Stephen J, et al, 1992. "Survivorship Bias in Performance Studies," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 5(4), pages 553-80.
- Alan Gregory & Julie Whittaker, 2007. "Performance and Performance Persistence of 'Ethical' Unit Trusts in the UK," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(7-8), pages 1327-1344.
- Ferson, Wayne E & Schadt, Rudi W, 1996. " Measuring Fund Strategy and Performance in Changing Economic Conditions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(2), pages 425-61, June.
- J. Barkley Rosser, 2009. "Introduction," Chapters, in: Handbook of Research on Complexity, chapter 1 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Carhart, Mark M, 1997. " On Persistence in Mutual Fund Performance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(1), pages 57-82, March.
- Bauer, Rob & Koedijk, Kees & Otten, Roger, 2005. "International evidence on ethical mutual fund performance and investment style," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(7), pages 1751-1767, July.
- C. Edward Chang & H. Doug Witte, 2010. "Performance Evaluation of U.S. Socially Responsible Mutual Funds: Revisiting Doing Good and Doing Well," American Journal of Business, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 25(1), pages 9-21.
- Jacquelyn Humphrey & Darren Lee, 2011. "Australian Socially Responsible Funds: Performance, Risk and Screening Intensity," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 102(4), pages 519-535, September.
- Horváthová, Eva, 2010. "Does environmental performance affect financial performance? A meta-analysis," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 52-59, November.
- N. Kreander & R.H. Gray & D.M. Power & C.D. Sinclair, 2005. "Evaluating the Performance of Ethical and Non-ethical Funds: A Matched Pair Analysis," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(7-8), pages 1465-1493.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jbuset:v:118:y:2013:i:2:p:349-363. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.