The Performance of Socially Responsible Funds: Does the Screening Process Matter?
This paper is about the financial performance of mutual funds that practice Socially Responsible Investing (SRI). First, we measure the financial performance of a sample of 116 French SRI mutual funds over the period 2004-2007. As expected, and according to previous studies, our results show that SRI funds do not outperform the market, whatever the performance measure considered. Then, we assess the financial performances within our sample of SRI funds, as suggested by Barnett and Salomon (2006). Precisely, we examine whether the financial performances of these funds are related to the features of the SRI selection process. We find evidence that a greater screening intensity reduces SRI financial performance, but the relationship runs in the opposite direction when screening gets tougher. Further, we show that only sectoral screens – such as avoiding “sin” stocks – decrease financial performance, while transversal screens – commitment to UN Global Compact Principles, ILO/Rights at Work, etc. – have no impact. Other characteristics of the screening process like shareholder activism, or the overall quality of the SRI process do not have any significant impact either.
|Date of creation:||May 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 113, rue de Grenelle, 75700 Paris SP07|
Phone: 33 01 53 68 55 00
Fax: 33 01 53 68 55 01
Web page: http://www.cepii.fr
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schröder, Michael, 2005.
"Is there a Difference? The Performance Characteristics of SRI Equity Indexes,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
05-50, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Michael Schröder, 2007. "Is there a Difference? The Performance Characteristics of SRI Equity Indices," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(1-2), pages 331-348.
- Judith Chevalier & Glenn Ellison, 1996.
"Are Some Mutual Funds Managers Better Than Others? Cross-Sectional Patterns in Behavior and Performance,"
NBER Working Papers
5852, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Judith Chevalier & Glenn Ellison, 1999. "Are Some Mutual Fund Managers Better Than Others? Cross-Sectional Patterns in Behavior and Performance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(3), pages 875-899, 06.
- Henry Hongbo Jin & Olivia S. Mitchell & John Piggott, 2005.
"Socially Responsible Investment in Japanese Pensions,"
NBER Working Papers
11747, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jin, Henry Hongbo & Mitchell, Olivia S. & Piggott, John, 2006. "Socially responsible investment in Japanese pensions," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 427-438, November.
- Angeles Fernandez-Izquierdo & Juan Matallin-Saez, 2008. "Performance of Ethical Mutual Funds in Spain: Sacrifice or Premium?," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 81(2), pages 247-260, August.
- Joakim Sandberg & Carmen Juravle & Ted Hedesström & Ian Hamilton, 2009. "The Heterogeneity of Socially Responsible Investment," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 87(4), pages 519-533, July.
- Renneboog, Luc & Ter Horst, Jenke & Zhang, Chendi, 2008. "Socially responsible investments: Institutional aspects, performance, and investor behavior," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1723-1742, September.
- Kempf, Alexander & Osthoff, Peer, 2007. "The effect of socially responsible investing on portfolio performance," CFR Working Papers 06-10, University of Cologne, Centre for Financial Research (CFR).
- Zakri Y. Bello, 2005. "Socially Responsible Investing And Portfolio Diversification," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 28(1), pages 41-57.
- John Tippet, 2001. "Performance of Australia's Ethical Funds," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 34(2), pages 170-178.
- Alan Gregory & John Matatko & Robert Luther, 1997. "Ethical Unit Trust Financial Performance: Small Company Effects and Fund Size Effects," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(5), pages 705-725.
- N. Kreander & R.H. Gray & D.M. Power & C.D. Sinclair, 2005. "Evaluating the Performance of Ethical and Non-ethical Funds: A Matched Pair Analysis," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(7-8), pages 1465-1493.
- Stewart Jones & Sandra van der Laan & Geoff Frost & Janice Loftus, 2008. "The Investment Performance of Socially Responsible Investment Funds in Australia," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 80(2), pages 181-203, June.
- Gottesman, Aron A. & Morey, Matthew R., 2006. "Manager education and mutual fund performance," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 145-182, March.
- Alexander Kempf & Peer Osthoff, 2007. "The Effect of Socially Responsible Investing on Portfolio Performance," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 13(5), pages 908-922.
- Josep Lozano & Laura Albareda & M. Balaguer, 2006. "Socially Responsible Investment in the Spanish financial market," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 69(3), pages 305-316, December.
- Rob Bauer & Jeroen Derwall & RogÃ©r Otten, 2007. "The Ethical Mutual Fund Performance Debate: New Evidence from Canada," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 70(2), pages 111-124, January.
- Alan Gregory & Julie Whittaker, 2007. "Performance and Performance Persistence of 'Ethical' Unit Trusts in the UK," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(7-8), pages 1327-1344.
- Joseph Chen & Harrison Hong & Ming Huang & Jeffrey D. Kubik, 2004. "Does Fund Size Erode Mutual Fund Performance? The Role of Liquidity and Organization," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(5), pages 1276-1302, December.
- Hong, Harrison & Kacperczyk, Marcin, 2009. "The price of sin: The effects of social norms on markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 15-36, July.
- Jeroen Derwall & Kees Koedijk, 2009. "Socially Responsible Fixed-Income Funds," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(1-2), pages 210-229.
- Gunther Capelle-Blancard & Stéphanie Monjon, 2010. "Socially Responsible Investing: it Takes More than Words," Working Papers 2010-15, CEPII research center.
- Bert Scholtens, 2007. "Financial and Social Performance of Socially Responsible Investments in the Netherlands," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(6), pages 1090-1105, November.
- Renneboog, Luc & Ter Horst, Jenke & Zhang, Chendi, 2008. "The price of ethics and stakeholder governance: The performance of socially responsible mutual funds," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 302-322, June.
- Jacquelyn Humphrey & Darren Lee, 2011. "Australian Socially Responsible Funds: Performance, Risk and Screening Intensity," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 102(4), pages 519-535, September.
- Louche, C. & Lydenberg, Steven, 2006. "Socially responsible investment: differences between Europe and United States," Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School Working Paper Series 2006-22, Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School.
- Alexander Kempf & Peer Osthoff, 2008. "SRI Funds: Nomen est Omen," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(9-10), pages 1276-1294.
- Renneboog, Luc & Ter Horst, Jenke & Zhang, Chendi, 2011. "Is ethical money financially smart? Nonfinancial attributes and money flows of socially responsible investment funds," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 562-588, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cii:cepidt:2011-12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.