U.S. Narrow Money for the Twenty-First Century
This study focuses on sweep programs in establishing conceptually appropriate and reliable measures of narrow money. We propose the aggregates M1RS = M1 + holdings of funds swept in retail sweep programs, and M1S = M1RS + holdings of funds swept in commercial demand deposit sweep programs. Based on quarterly observations from 1959:1--2002:4, cointegration tests indicate the existence of long-run relationships between the velocity of M1S and the corresponding opportunity cost of holding money, using either short-term or long-term interest rates. Tests find weaker evidence for M1RS and little support for MZM. (JEL E41, G21) Copyright 2006, Oxford University Press.
Volume (Year): 44 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK|
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://ei.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.oup.co.uk/journals|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Allan Meltzer, 1998. "Monetarism: The issues and the outcome," Atlantic Economic Journal, Springer;International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 26(1), pages 8-31, March.
- Nelson, Edward, 2001.
"Direct Effects of Base Money on Aggregate Demand: Theory and Evidence,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2666, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nelson, Edward, 2002. "Direct effects of base money on aggregate demand: theory and evidence," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(4), pages 687-708, May.
- Edward Nelson, 2000. "Direct effects of base money on aggregate demand: theory and evidence," Bank of England working papers 122, Bank of England.
- VanHoose, David D. & Humphrey, David B., 2001. "Sweep accounts, reserve management, and interest rate volatility1," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 53(4), pages 387-404.
- Laurence Ball, 2002.
"Short-Run Money Demand,"
NBER Working Papers
9235, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Duca, John V, 2000. "Financial Technology Shocks and the Case of the Missing M2," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 32(4), pages 820-39, November.
- Eric M. Leeper & Jennifer E. Roush, 2003.
"Putting "M" back in monetary policy,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
761, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Jones, Barry E. & Dutkowsky, Donald H. & Elger, Thomas, 2005. "Sweep programs and optimal monetary aggregation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 483-508, February.
- Laurence Ball, 1998.
"Another Look at Long-Run Money Demand,"
NBER Working Papers
6597, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Donald H. Dutkowsky & H. Sonmez Atesoglu, 2001. "The Demand For Money: A Structural Econometric Investigation," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 68(1), pages 92-106, July.
- Duca, John V. & VanHoose, David D., 2004. "Recent developments in understanding the demand for money," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 56(4), pages 247-272.
- R. W. Hafer & David C. Wheelock, 2001. "The rise and fall of a policy rule: monetarism at the St. Louis Fed, 1968-1986," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jan, pages 1-24.
- John B. Carlson & Dennis L. Hoffman & Benjamin D. Keen & Robert H. Rasche, 1999.
"Results of a study of the stability of cointegrating relations comprised of broad monetary aggregates,"
9917, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Carlson, John B. & Hoffman, Dennis L. & Keen, Benjamin D. & Rasche, Robert H., 2000. "Results of a study of the stability of cointegrating relations comprised of broad monetary aggregates," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 345-383, October.
- Nelson, Edward, 2003.
"The Future of Monetary Aggregates in Monetary Policy Analysis,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3897, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nelson, Edward, 2003. "The future of monetary aggregates in monetary policy analysis," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(5), pages 1029-1059, July.
- Hoffman, Dennis L. & Rasche, Robert H. & Tieslau, Margie A., 1995. "The stability of long-run money demand in five industrial countries," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 317-339, April.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Lai, Kon S, 1993. "Finite-Sample Sizes of Johansen's Likelihood Ration Tests for Conintegration," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 55(3), pages 313-28, August.
- Dutkowsky, Donald H & Cynamon, Barry Z, 2003. " Sweep Programs: The Fall of M1 and Rebirth of the Medium of Exchange," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 35(2), pages 263-79, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:ecinqu:v:44:y:2006:i:1:p:142-152. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.