Impact of School Quality and Neighborhoods on Housing Prices in Moscow
The author investigates the influence of school quality and neighborhood characteristics on housing prices in the districts of Moscow city. The research revealed that the Soviet model of intracity settlement - on a residence permit - has been destroyed, as well as connections between the real estate market and factors of social environment, including quality of schools and education provided there. Today there is a quasimarket of educational services. Market laws work only in private sector of education. Presence of quality school in the district is a significant factor of social environment for solvent individuals at choosing place of living in Moscow. Real estate buyers that prefer quality education, make a choice in the favor of private schools that in its turn has an impact on the cost of apartments.
Volume (Year): 17 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +7 495 7189855
Fax: +7 495 7189855
Web page: http://www.econorus.org/english.phtml
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul Cheshire & Stephen Sheppard, 2004.
"Capitalising the Value of Free Schools: The Impact of Supply Characteristics and Uncertainty,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
2004-17, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Paul Cheshire & Stephen Sheppard, 2004. "Capitalising the Value of Free Schools: The Impact of Supply Characteristics and Uncertainty," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 114(499), pages F397-F424, November.
- P. C. Cheshire & Stephen Charles Sheppard, 2004. "Capitalising the value of free schools : the impact of supply characteristics and uncertainty," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 567, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Haurin, Donald R. & Brasington, David, 1996. "School Quality and Real House Prices: Inter- and Intrametropolitan Effects," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 351-368, December.
- David M. Brasington, 1999. "Which Measures of School Quality Does the Housing Market Value?," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 18(3), pages 395-414.
- Kathy J. Hayes & Lori L. Taylor, 1996. "Neighborhood school characteristics: what signals quality to homebuyers?," Economic and Financial Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, issue Q IV, pages 2-9.
- Michael L. Walden, 1990. "Magnet Schools and the Differential Impact of School Quality on Residential Property Values," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 5(2), pages 221-230.
- Patricia E. Beeson & Randall W. Eberts, 1987.
"Identifying productivity and amenity effects in interurban wage differentials,"
8707, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Beeson, Patricia E & Eberts, Randall W, 1989. "Identifying Productivity and Amenity Effects in Interurban Wage Differentials," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(3), pages 443-52, August.
- Bogart, William T. & Cromwell, Brian A., 1997. "How Much More is a Good School District Worth?," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 50(2), pages 215-32, June.
- Haurin, Donald R, 1980. "The Regional Distribution of Population, Migration, and Climate," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 95(2), pages 293-308, September.
- Jackson, Jerry R., 1979. "Intraurban variation in the price of housing," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 464-479, October.
- Mingche M. Li & H. James Brown, 1980. "Micro-Neighborhood Externalities and Hedonic Housing Prices," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 56(2), pages 125-141.
- Owusu-Edusei, Kwame & Espey, Molly, 2003. "School Quality And Property Values In Greenville, South Carolina," Working Papers 18809, Clemson University, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Melville L. McMillan & Bradford G. Reid & David W. Gillen, 1980. "An Extension of the Hedonic Approach for Estimating the Value of Quiet," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 56(3), pages 315-328.
- David Brasington & Don Haurin, .
"Educational Outcomes and House Values: A Test of the Value-Added Approach,"
Departmental Working Papers
2005-03, Department of Economics, Louisiana State University.
- David Brasington & Donald R. Haurin, 2006. "Educational Outcomes and House Values: A Test of the value added Approach," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(2), pages 245-268.
- David Brasington & D. Haurin, . "Educational Outcomes and House Values: A Test of the Value-Added Approach," Departmental Working Papers 2003-05, Department of Economics, Louisiana State University.
- Michaels, R. Gregory & Smith, V. Kerry, 1990. "Market segmentation and valuing amenities with hedonic models: The case of hazardous waste sites," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 223-242, September.
- Kelvin J. Lancaster, 1966. "A New Approach to Consumer Theory," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74, pages 132.
- Weimer, David L. & Wolkoff, Michael J., 2001. "School Performance and Housing Values: Using Non-Contiguous District and Incorporation Boundaries to Identify School Effects," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 54(n. 2), pages 231-54, June.
- Charles M. Tiebout, 1956. "A Pure Theory of Local Expenditures," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 64, pages 416.
- Roback, Jennifer, 1982. "Wages, Rents, and the Quality of Life," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(6), pages 1257-78, December.
- Sandra E. Black, 1997.
"Do better schools matter? Parental valuation of elementary education,"
9729, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Sandra E. Black, 1999. "Do Better Schools Matter? Parental Valuation Of Elementary Education," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 114(2), pages 577-599, May.
- Blomquist, Glenn C & Berger, Mark C & Hoehn, John P, 1988. "New Estimates of Quality of Life in Urban Areas," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(1), pages 89-107, March.
- Joe Peek & James A. Wilcox, 1991.
"The Measurement and Determinants of Single-Family House Prices,"
Real Estate Economics,
American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 19(3), pages 353-382.
- Joe Peek & James A. Wilcox, 1991. "The measurement and determinants of single-family house prices," Working Papers 91-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Dennis R. Capozza & Gregory M. Schwann, 1989. "The Asset Approach to Pricing Urban Land: Empirical Evidence," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 17(2), pages 161-174.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Oates, Wallace E, 1969. "The Effects of Property Taxes and Local Public Spending on Property Values: An Empirical Study of Tax Capitalization and the Tiebout Hypothesis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(6), pages 957-71, Nov./Dec..
- Abbigail J. Chiodo & Rubén Hernández-Murillo & Michael T. Owyang, 2010. "Nonlinear effects of school quality on house prices," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue May, pages 185-204.
- David N. Figlio & Maurice E. Lucas, 2004. "What's in a Grade? School Report Cards and the Housing Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(3), pages 591-604, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nea:journl:y:2013:i:17:p:87-112. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alexey Tcharykov)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.