Ownership and Wage Differentiation in Russia
The authors examine the relationship between the forms of ownership and wages. It uses a unique dataset that includes over 700 thousands worker observations and allows identifying narrowly defined occupations and industries. The analysis based on the estimation of the Mincerian type earnings equation shows that wage differences across the forms of different ownership are significant. Employees in foreign-owned firms have systematically higher wages than comparable workers in similar domestic owned firms. They are followed in descending order by employees in mixed (publicprivate), Russian private, federal state and regional state companies. Municipal firms pay the lowest wages. Conditioning on 3-digit occupations and economic activities narrows the gaps but the pay ranking of the forms of ownership remains unchanged.
Volume (Year): (2010)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Nakhimovsky prospekt, 32, Office 1115, 117218 Moscow Russia|
Phone: +7 495 7189855
Fax: +7 495 7189855
Web page: http://www.econorus.org/english.phtml
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David G. Blanchflower & Andrew J. Oswald & Peter Sanfey, 1996.
"Wages, Profits, and Rent-Sharing,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 111(1), pages 227-251.
- Luke, Peter L. & Schaffer, Mark E, 2000.
"Wage Determination in Russia: An Econometric Investigation,"
IZA Discussion Papers
143, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Peter J. Luke & Mark E. Schaffer, 1999. "Wage Determination in Russia: An Econometric Investigation," CERT Discussion Papers 9908, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- Peter J. Luke & Mark E. Schaffer, 2000. "Wage Determination in Russia: An Econometric Investigation," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 295, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Malcomson, J., 1998.
"Individual employment contracts,"
Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics
9804, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- J. David Brown & John S. Earle & Álmos Telegdy, 2006.
"Does Privatization Hurt Workers? Lessons from Comprehensive Manufacturing Firm Panel Data in Hungary, Romania, Russia and Ukraine,"
Budapest Working Papers on the Labour Market
0510, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, revised 12 Jan 2006.
- J. David Brown & John S. Earle & Almos Telegdy, 2005. "Does Privatization Hurt Workers? Lessons from Comprehensive Manufacturing Firm Panel Data in Hungary, Romania, Russia, and Ukraine," Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles 05-125, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- J. David Brown & John Earle & Almos Telegdy, 2005. "Does Privatization Hurt Workers? Lessons from Comprehensive Manufacturing Firm Panel Data in Hungary, Romania, Russia, and Ukraine," CERT Discussion Papers 0509, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- Ronald G. Ehrenberg & Joshua L. Schwarz, 1983.
"Public Sector Labor Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
1179, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shakhnovich Ruvim & Yudashkina Galina, 2001. "Wage-Setting and Employment Behavior of Enterprises during the Period of Economic Transition," EERC Working Paper Series 01-04e, EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1985.
"Implicit Contracts: A Survey,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 23(3), pages 1144-75, September.
- Steven Stillman, 2000. "The Determinants of Private and Government Sector Earnings in Russia," Working Papers 00-17, RAND Corporation.
- Moulton, Brent R, 1990. "A Reexamination of the Federal-Private Wage Differential in the United States," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 8(2), pages 270-93, April.
- Dale Belman & John S. Heywood, 2004. "Public wage differentials and the treatment of occupational differences," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(1), pages 135-152.
- Gregory, Robert G. & Borland, Jeff, 1999. "Recent developments in public sector labor markets," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 53, pages 3573-3630 Elsevier.
- Arne Bigsten & Paul Collier & Stefan Dercon & Marcel Fafchamps & Jan Willem Gunning & Abena Oduro & Remco Oostendorp & Cathy Pattillo & Mans Söderbom & Francis Teal & Albert Zeufack, 2003.
"Risk Sharing in Labour Markets,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
03-077/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Arne Bigsten & Paul Collier & Stefan Dercon & Marcel Fafchamps & Bernard Gauthier & Jan Willem Gunning & Abena Oduro & Remco Oostendorp & Cathy Pattillo & Mans S–derbom & Francis Teal & Albert Zeufack, 2003. "Risk Sharing in Labor Markets," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 17(3), pages 349-366, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nea:journl:y:2010:i:5:p:48-72. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alexey Tcharykov)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.