Ownership and Wage Differentiation in Russia
The authors examine the relationship between the forms of ownership and wages. It uses a unique dataset that includes over 700 thousands worker observations and allows identifying narrowly defined occupations and industries. The analysis based on the estimation of the Mincerian type earnings equation shows that wage differences across the forms of different ownership are significant. Employees in foreign-owned firms have systematically higher wages than comparable workers in similar domestic owned firms. They are followed in descending order by employees in mixed (publicprivate), Russian private, federal state and regional state companies. Municipal firms pay the lowest wages. Conditioning on 3-digit occupations and economic activities narrows the gaps but the pay ranking of the forms of ownership remains unchanged.
Volume (Year): (2010)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Nakhimovsky prospekt, 32, Office 1115, 117218 Moscow Russia|
Phone: +7 495 7189855
Fax: +7 495 7189855
Web page: http://www.econorus.org/english.phtml
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gregory, Robert G. & Borland, Jeff, 1999. "Recent developments in public sector labor markets," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 53, pages 3573-3630 Elsevier.
- Malcomson, James M., 1999.
"Individual employment contracts,"
Handbook of Labor Economics,
in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 35, pages 2291-2372
- Malcomson, J., 1998. "Individual employment contracts," Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics 9804, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Arne Bigsten & Paul Collier & Stefan Dercon & Marcel Fafchamps & Bernard Gauthier & Jan Willem Gunning & Abena Oduro & Remco Oostendorp & Cathy Pattillo & Mans S–derbom & Francis Teal & Albert Zeufack, 2003.
"Risk Sharing in Labor Markets,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 17(3), pages 349-366, December.
- Sherwin Rosen, 1985.
"Implicit Contracts: A Survey,"
NBER Working Papers
1635, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- J. David Brown & John Earle & Almos Telegdy, 2005.
"Does Privatization Hurt Workers? Lessons from Comprehensive Manufacturing Firm Panel Data in Hungary, Romania, Russia, and Ukraine,"
CERT Discussion Papers
0509, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- J. David Brown & John S. Earle & Almos Telegdy, 2005. "Does Privatization Hurt Workers? Lessons from Comprehensive Manufacturing Firm Panel Data in Hungary, Romania, Russia, and Ukraine," Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles 05-125, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- J. David Brown & John S. Earle & Álmos Telegdy, 2006. "Does Privatization Hurt Workers? Lessons from Comprehensive Manufacturing Firm Panel Data in Hungary, Romania, Russia and Ukraine," Budapest Working Papers on the Labour Market 0510, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, revised 12 Jan 2006.
- Peter J. Luke & Mark E. Schaffer, 2000.
"Wage Determination in Russia: An Econometric Investigation,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
295, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Luke, Peter L. & Schaffer, Mark E, 2000. "Wage Determination in Russia: An Econometric Investigation," IZA Discussion Papers 143, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Peter J. Luke & Mark E. Schaffer, 1999. "Wage Determination in Russia: An Econometric Investigation," CERT Discussion Papers 9908, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- Shakhnovich Ruvim & Yudashkina Galina, 2001. "Wage-Setting and Employment Behavior of Enterprises during the Period of Economic Transition," EERC Working Paper Series 01-04e, EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS.
- David G. Blanchflower & Andrew J. Oswald & Peter Sanfey, 1992.
"Wages, Profits and Rent-Sharing,"
NBER Working Papers
4222, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dale Belman & John S. Heywood, 2004. "Public wage differentials and the treatment of occupational differences," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(1), pages 135-152.
- Ronald G. Ehrenberg & Joshua L. Schwarz, 1983.
"Public Sector Labor Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
1179, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Moulton, Brent R, 1990. "A Reexamination of the Federal-Private Wage Differential in the United States," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 8(2), pages 270-93, April.
- Steven Stillman, 2000. "The Determinants of Private and Government Sector Earnings in Russia," Working Papers 00-17, RAND Corporation Publications Department.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nea:journl:y:2010:i:5:p:48-72. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alexey Tcharykov)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.